X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meekthefreak View Post
    Nice looking board! I am curious how the the Mayhem GMB 5 fins work on the Potatonator so give us an update after your ride it.

Iggy, are you still loving your potatonator? I am about to order a 5.6 Potatonator to cover the lower end. I have a hellrazor for 3-4+ surf so I am not worried so much about the higher end of groverlers (spitfire, dominator, etc...) but want something that I can surf like a shortboard in 2-4ft surf. I am an intermediate surfer...hopefully the potatonator will get me in the water more and bring me closer to an advanced surfer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Unconditional love to my pnator, that thing excels on the small stuff. Since I got the Vanguard now I think I will be selling my spitfire and keep the potato for the really small stuff, pnator in between and vanguard for the rest along with the quadra5.
    The 5'6" is going to give you tons of fun!!, weirdly enough I like this board better as a thruster than quad with the SOLUS as the set which does not leave the fin plugs
    Last edited by iggy; 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks Iggy! I know that means a lot as you are somewhat of an expert on this forum and have some epic gopro videos to prove your surfing ability. Keep making the videos and sharing the love.

I cannot wait to get my Potoatonator and will have to try it as a thruster. All of my boards are FCS but I will have to find something comprable to the SOLUS. I have the K3s and Mayhem GMB 5 perforamnce (5 Fin set) right now. I recon a bigger fin template would do better in the potatonator but I will do some experimeting in the next few months.

Comment

Thanks Iggy! I know that means a lot as you are somewhat of an expert on this forum and have some epic gopro videos to prove your surfing ability. Keep making the videos and sharing the love.

I cannot wait to get my Potoatonator and will have to try it as a thruster. All of my boards are FCS but I will have to find something comprable to the SOLUS. I have the K3s and Mayhem GMB 5 perforamnce (5 Fin set) right now. I recon a bigger fin template would do better in the potatonator but I will do some experimeting in the next few months.
        Jajaja not that much of an experts,only someone who really likes to play in the waer with the best toys available in the market
        There are plenty of FCS lovers in this forum which will guide you through those fins. I know the majority of people have this board set as a quad to get as much speed as possible and a good set of them gwill have you flying down the line. Get something with lng base and medium rake.
        One of the reasons I preffer FUTURESS over FINS is the way FUTURES play with foils

Comment

Nice looking board! I am curious how the the Mayhem GMB 5 fins work on the Potatonator so give us an update after your ride it.

Iggy, are you still loving your potatonator? I am about to order a 5.6 Potatonator to cover the lower end. I have a hellrazor for 3-4+ surf so I am not worried so much about the higher end of groverlers (spitfire, dominator, etc...) but want something that I can surf like a shortboard in 2-4ft surf. I am an intermediate surfer...hopefully the potatonator will get me in the water more and bring me closer to an advanced surfer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
          Hey Meekthefreak... Gotta confess when I got my board I had my doubts if it would work since Im 6.2 and with 90 Kgs on me, when I grabbed the board, I was like, I think ordered it a little too meaty at 5,10, and maybe should have gotten the 5,8. This weekend I put on in front PC-7 with PC-3 on the back with the knubster fin... The board went unreal on the wavesss!! It was about 2 to 3 feet at the most, but the board flies down the section and you can sense the double concave into action when u want to turn those 5 fins..... I was able to make some sprays with this thing and really easy to turn in...... seems to me the knubster makes the board more stablee while pumpin for speed.... I only have to get used to its the shortness of the board, since this is the first time I used a really shorter board (before 6,0)...

The Pc7 with Pc3 is my favorite combination for Quad but Im goin to try those Mayhem I got for free.... I also read someone tried with thruster and it works amazing....... probably gonna do it, If I go on my backhand..... got a lot of combinations to try my friend....

This board is really paddle breezer, gets on the early.... and the volume on the center feels great for the weakness of the wave.... I will be posting more info and insights on my PN 5,10..

Cheers

Comment

Thanks el02! I am glad to hear it went well for you and your post makes me that much more excited to get mine. I ordered a 5.6 Potatonator last week as I am around 80kg. I demoed the board a few weeks ago and at first I wasn't sold because I had never rode a board that short, wide, and with such little rocker. However after a few waves I was loving how quick and loose the board was in smaller surf. I will have to play with the fins more when I get it as I think it depends a lot on personal preferences and wave types. Thanks for the feebdack and let us know what you are thinking after a few more sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
              Yep Sam is a champ...you didn't happen to see my Vanguard anywhere around?? LOL I don't take my wife to any place I make purchases for that reason but the good thing about FW's - they're all the same colour!!

Anfernee, we aren't far from each other by the sound of things. Glad to hear you are getting to know your PN and things are going well. Are you riding this as a quad?
              Hey Slowman, sorry for the delayed reply - haven't been on the forum for a while. Yeah, have it setup as a quad and love it... got me through summer without too much fuss. In hindsight I went way too far with a 602, could have gotten away with something much smaller (its my first epoxy and didnt realise how buoyant these things are) - Its funny though as I am paddling in as early as the longboarders in most cases so the extra float isnt wasted - I definitely save it for those fuller days.

Love it as a quad too, didnt like it at all as a thruster - this thing flies as a quad.

Comment

I had mine out for the first time yesterday in clean, chest high conditions. So much fun. Although most here would probably want a smaller one, I think the 5'10" is a perfect volume for me for catching and for riding (after I stopped stepping off the tail on the set waves). Heading back out today to see how it does on thigh high.

Comment

It would be a brave man to ride a PN today in Sydney! Or more so on the w/e.

Comment

You're not wrong slowmman. I bought a 5'4 last week - the day i did the east swell kicked in, now the south! I've been trawling around trying to find smaller waves (which is weird). I tried riding it at my local break - mystics...geez, even with the SA quad set in i found myself struggling in the overhead barrels. That said, on some of the smaller ones, it went sick. Am really looking forward to the rest of the week as the swell backs off. Keen to post some thoughts.

Comment

50young - I've found, too much volume makes you float over the wave rather than sitting in it and taking up the waves power to aid in momentum forward. Just my take on things.

Thanks for that. It helps me understand the different perspective many of the recommendations are coming from. I am coming from a longboard type of wave catching and trying to get as many waves as possible using that style of method,but the short board style of catching waves gives a recommendation a different perspective. I may need to re-evaluate my style and board selection.

Comment

Working...
                      X