Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Potatonator or baked Potato? Best option? Small crumbly wave machine Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator or baked Potato? Best option? Small crumbly wave machine

Was wondering what people thought. For small crumbly waves 1 to 2 ft which is best? Potatonator (say 6.2)or baked potato (5.9)? boards of a similar volume. Some on here seem to think the potatonator picks up waves earlier? Be interesting to here those of you that have tried both.

Any thoughts?

If its kind of a chubby small wave the baked will do good, but the pnator will definitely move more than the baked. If you are aiming for the really small stuff your best bet is the baked in my opinion. 5'9" looks like lots of foam,what's your height/weight?

Comment

1-2 crumbly waves? I would say BP. However, BP is a little more high performance than SP...I was able to surf BP on head high no problem. Pnator is great for clean knee to head high waves, overhead max IMO.

Comment

I'd agree with Hawaii, althoiugh I'm still waiting for an overhead day to try out my PN :(

Comment

I ride a PN 5.8 and picks up waves very early but i never test a BP.1-2 crumbly waves BP probably is the winner but i think a advanced surfer with average fitness can make PN fly on the lower end of range...

Comment

Thanks guys. Its interesting to here your thoughts. Looks like Im leaning towards the Baked Potato then. Im 85 kilo and 6ft but I live 250 miles from the sea so only get there once a month. This makes my surfing very inconsistant. I have a 6 Dominator which I love when the waves are a decent shape and size, but I struggle on it if theyre not. 5.9 for the baked seems about right ? 5.7 looks fun but surely is too small?

Comment

@greyhound, based on your height and weight, 5'7 sounds good...don't go bigger than this. if you are in great condition, 5'5 is even better. I'm 5'8" 170lbs and i ride a 5'3" Baked and a 5'4 Sweet (5'2 was not available at time of purchase). 5'3 Baked has a lot of float. I could probably go to a 5'1.

ALOHA

Comment

Agreed there with Hawaiiboi

Comment

Hi Hawaii_boi, iggy, Guys thanks for the response. A lot of 'Food for thought' here. I am intrigued that you think the 5.7 would work. However, I wouldnt want you to mistake me for your agile talented selves? The mind is willing but the back is a bit stiff these days. I am tempted but then when I look at the volumes there is not much more in a 5.7 BP than my 6.0 Dom. 5.9 would give me a little more foam and ease into a wave/stability at such slow speed?

Comment

Hey Greyhound you know yourself better,the most important thing is to be honest with own self. The 5.9" will definitely give you an ease on the paddle but it might feel a bit too much board at 22 3/8. But again given the frequency you surf at I can see your hesitation.

Comment

I have a 5.7 and its a TON of float. Some say too much but I adjust, no biggy.

If I had to do all over again, it would be 5.5.

Comment

Working...
                      X