X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6 Potatonator Futures fins help

After much waiting my 5'6 FST potatonator futures finally arrived! Going to surf this weekend so extremely stoked, but need some help picking fins. I'm intermediate, 6'1 about 160lbs and surfing Vancouver Island in a full winter suits etc.

After digging through the forums I've narrowed it down to the Futures Elevon (size small) and the Stretch quad and am torn if it's worth spending the extra $70-80 extra for the Elevon, however given the wave i surf is kinda flat I feel it might be worth it.

Here is the wave I surf most of the time: (I've posted this before but skip to about 1:20 for the surfing)
    http://vimeo.com/50807381

Cheers!

Controllers could be worth trying too

Comment

I'm 155lbs, did the same research as you and decided everyone is going to suggest whatever it is they ride now. I tried the Josh Mulcoy 5-fin which is basically the same as the Stretch quad set and thought it was too much for me. Moved down to the F4 quad set and like it a lot better in smaller waves/mush. I'm keeping the Mulcoys for when the waves get a bit bigger. I didn't know you could get Elevons in small, I probably would have tried those too.

Comment

Controllers as quad for sure, Have a set of controllers and elevons and even though I've gone through phases, I dig the drive and speed you get out of the controllers. The potato family have a wide enough tail so the extra lift you get out of the controllers is sort of already there. The rastas are pretty cool too but you get more speed out of the controllers which, in flattish conditions comes in handy.
        For thruster I really like the SOLUS, makes the board pretty loose

Comment

hdeb89, I agree with iggy! However, why don't we take it up a notch and run Solus fronts with Controller rears!!!? Best of both worlds!!! Works really well in punchy waves If there are a lot of flats or if wave is kinda weak, run the Controller quad set.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Im hijacking this thread, no offence =) Been reading a few topics but im confused. I got a FST Potatonator 6.0 with FCS fin boxes. Is the FST Potatonator available with Futures? Cant find them in Europe with Futures.

Comment

Yes it is available,

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                Yes it is available,
                Alright thanks. Have to check with a store to see if they can get one home then. All i can see is FCS in the UK stores.

Comment

The UK market is very FCS dominated. If you want Futures you're really better off special ordering them as a lot of shops don't even order boards with Futures.

Comment

Kinda leaning away from the controllers purely because they're a size large and seem like they may be too much fin. Iggy, what size Elevons do you recommend? I saw you can get them in a small and a large?

Comment

hdeb89, i'd recommend testing them out. Futures has a fintree in almost every surf shop out there!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                        hdeb89, i'd recommend testing them out. Futures has a fintree in almost every surf shop out there!

ALOHA!!
                        I live in Vancouver, and unfortunately none of the shops here have fin trees and little to no futures in stock... so going to ave to go on the advice of the forum and order online!

Comment

This might hep
                          http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...s/Vancouver+BC

Comment

i'd steer clear of the stretch quads. they make the board feel a bit too loose, but not in a good way, almost like a twin fin. felt like i had to nurse my turns a bit too much with the stretch fins or the fins would slide out. have the rusty 5 fin set and it's much better. if you still want the stretch fins despite this warning, i'll sell you mine for a heavily reduced price, they've only been surfed 2 times, once in my 5'2 SP (made it feel finless) and once in my 5'4 PN (made it feel close to finless).

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                              I called every shop in the GVA about a week before the board arrived, many sell futures but they don't actually stock them..

Got to surf the bard this weekend, loved it. Had on old set of futures thrusters on it but still super fast and turned really well, got into waves far easier than my old shortboard too.

Comment

Working...
                              X