Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator vs Spitfire

Yo, long time reader 1st time poster.

After some advice... I'm thinking about a 5'4 Potatonator or a 5'6 Spitfire. I Live in Raglan NZ so local waves are good pointbreaks with some average beachbreaks. Looking for a groveller for the softer beaches knee to head high. Am 38 yrs old, 70kg, paddle fit and competent/advanced level.

My 2 shortboards for better waves on the points are a 6'0 Taj FST and a 5'10 CI DFR - 25-27L ish volume. Also have a 5'9 Weber Sonic in-betweener.

Any thoughts on PN or Spit and the sizes?

Cheers,
    Brett

I say go the Potatonator if you want a groveller 5'4" would be my pick IMHO great fun can easily handle head high

Comment

Originally posted by 50young View Post
      I say go the Potatonator if you want a groveller 5'4" would be my pick IMHO great fun can easily handle head high
      thanks 50

Comment

I say go with baked potato if you want a groveler! It's perfect for the soft waves. Baked Potato easily handles knee to head high. Pnator doesn't do that well in knee high. Pnator only shines waist to head high, max overhead.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
          I say go with baked potato if you want a groveler! It's perfect for the soft waves. Baked Potato easily handles knee to head high. Pnator doesn't do that well in knee high. Pnator only shines waist to head high, max overhead.

ALOHA!!
          Hmmm..good shout thanks H Boi, hadn't thought about baked. 5'1 in a baked for me do you think? Anyone else got a comparison on the pn/bp? Think I've ruled out the spitfire now

Comment

@brettnz,
            If your height is under 5'10 and you weigh 70kg, 5'1 baked is will be perfect! Wait for the Baked technograin (due in Q2 2013), i heard it is more durable than rapidfire.

ALOHA!!

Comment

The baked/sweet is quite a different ride, i enjoyed mine at first but gonna swap for a potatonator for more conventional shortboard feel and a bit more wave range. Its raglan, theres always gonna be sneaker sets.

Comment

Get both !! They both rock definitely different rides quite a bit of crossover but they feel so different you can mix it up

Comment

I would also go for the baked potato.

Comment

My spitfire (and dom) ridden as a quad grovel well enough in knee high waves for me. I reckon the P-Nator as a quad would be plenty to grovel with. I guess it depends on your style and what you want to do on a wave. That said I rode my spit yesterday in 1' waves with the odd 2' set and still had fun but I saw a guy on a SP flying all over the place smashing lips repeatedly on these little waves. I was belting a few too but it was an exercise in economic planning, if you know what I mean, whereas the guy on the SP seemed to be unlimited by the weak conditions. Though I still think the Pnator would have gone pretty well too.

Comment

Thanks fellas, good info! PN maybe sounds the go, as magnet says its not small here for long normally so pn might be a bit more versatile and I do like to hit it rather than cruise. 5'4 for the PN sound about right?

Comment

Should mention that I've recently bought my lady a 5'8 sweet tater so if its 1 ft shocker I can hit that if desperate enough..

Comment

Well that changes everything!!

Comment

Just had a go on the 5'8 sweet, pretty fun, too big of course for me but maybe the baked is the way forward..

Comment

Brettnz, I suggest you look at the vimeo clips of Timmy Reynes surfing both the BP and the PN and pick which looks more like what you want out of a groveler. They both seem to work in small waves pretty well. It might help!

Comment

Working...
                              X