Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Potatnator in 5'6" or 5'8"? FST or RF? (Age old questions on this forum ;) ) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatnator in 5'6" or 5'8"? FST or RF? (Age old questions on this forum ;) )

Hello Everyone!

I am a long time reader and new Firewire owner.

Finally took out the 5'3" Baked Potato in some crappy surf two times this week and it took a little while to get used to the really short length. Not totally acclimated to it yet, But, I am understanding what the board is all about and am impressed by how well it paddles for such a short board. Is it just me or is it designed to get going on waves earlier than other boards???

I am wrestling with choosing the right Potatonator in 5'6" or 5'8" and whether I should go FST or RF? I intend to use this in larger waves than I would in my Baked Potato and will reserve a 5'10" Spitifire for really large days.

From what I have read, the RF tech is lighter, more floaty, and less durable as compared to FST. With that in mind should I go for a 5'6" RF or 5'8" FST?
    Last edited by ferchizzle; 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM.

@ferchizzle,
    Pnator and Spitfire overlap each other a lot IMO. I would recommend Baked Potato for the knee to chest high (head high max) waves and Spitfire for the waist to overhead waves. From what I heard, the spitfire's ceiling is double overhead. If you are planning to go bigger than that, you will need another step up. If you can get FST, get it. RF would be my last choice. Techno grain (TG) version of Baked and Spitfire is coming soon. So you might want to wait to see how durable the TG is before making a decision.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thank you hawaii_boi

How do you like your Spitfire in the 5'8" length? I am thinking about a 5'10" ...

Comment

Seen a few posts about people having their white rapidfires snap when duck diving. Dont get me wrong I love Firewires but I'm wondering as this is the first batch of white rapidfires, is there some more development to be done to get it right? Could Chris (well informed leg end) or anyone else let us know how durable the white rapidfire is in their experience? Bamboo vs man made materials, tensile strength I imagine will vary between the two despite them being closely linked performance wise. I have just ordered a Potatonator and prefer the look of the white rapidfire however I am concerned about possible durability issues. So White rapidfire vs rapidfire? I know it might be like asking who's your favourite child lol! But new boards don't come cheap :)

Comment

So far I'm impressed with how my WRF VG is holding up. Deck seems stronger than the bamboo and there's been no spider cracking where the deck skin meets the rail.

Comment

Hi ferchizzle, just to throw in another option as a PN owner and lover of this little board. You could go 506 PN FST for waste to head high + and if you don't own a spit go an alt instead say 602 rounded pin for everything over.

Comment

Thanks prjwebb, will get my new Potatonator in the white rapidfire. As it's a small wave board I want the benefits of rapidfire and those white rapidfires look sick :) Glad there is no dramas with them for ya!

Comment

I've only had the board for about a month but initial signs are promising!

Comment

Originally posted by ferchizzle View Post
                  Thank you hawaii_boi

How do you like your Spitfire in the 5'8" length? I am thinking about a 5'10" ...
                  ferchizzle,
                  Sorry just saw this now. The spitfire is great. it feels like a standard shortboard...just a little wider. Always get FST unless RF is super cheap! haha.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                  X