Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator or Backed Potato - and size?

Hi I am currently building up a new board quiver for the upcoming two years and I have few questions.
    I am 180cm and weigh 70 kg. I am surfing most of the time in France beetween Hossegor and Hendaye.

So far I have a 6'2 Quadraflex 1st Gen. I have planed to add a Michel Bourrez 5'10 thin version for perfect days, a Hellrazor in 5'11 as a new allround board and I need something for the small days 1-3 ft where usually I use a mini malibu.

First I really was into the 5'3 Backed Potato but unfortunatly it doesn't exist in FST. So I read a lot about the Potatonator which might be an alternative for the small days and maybe also for bigger days when the waves are fat an do not have a wall.

Do you think the Potatonator might be good enough for 1-2ft and which size would you pick with my weight and the focus on small waves? 5'6 or 5'8 ?
    Looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks for your help.

@LensSW,
    At 70 kg, 5'1 Baked spud would be perfect, but you being 180 cm, I would recommend 5'3. If you are planning to surf mostly 1-2 ft, the Baked would be more suited for it. Potatonator is great for waist to head high, overhead max. A TechnoGrain Baked should be in stores shortly...I recommend waiting for that. I heard it's as durable as FST and "doesn't ding as easily..."

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks hawaii_boi. Yeah the technograin would be nice, but for Europe they announced it only in Q4...anyway good to know that the Potatonator might work from 2ft+.

Comment

Any suggestion for the size of the Potatonator if I mainly want to play around in 2ft waves? Would be the 5'8 the right choice?

Comment

5'6 would be plenty

Comment

Good to know. Never surfed that type of board and always had in my mind that I would need more volume for smaller waves, but if I get it right its the flat shape of these boards which makes the difference. My Quadraflex also has 30 liters but if I go surfing in 2ft waves they have to be quite punchy to have sort of fun...its more a workout then.

Comment

Hi I have a PN and use it for 2 to 4ft surf musshy on shore and its great. I just bought a 504 and have a 506 for sale if you are UK based I can post its mint cond..
              The boards surf really well and are easly to paddle. When its really small I run its as a twin fin with Mark Richards MRTFX PC fins. This is soo loose and fun in small 2ft surf.

Comment

Working...
              X