Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'4'' PN - Thruster vs Quad - Feedback Please

Hello guys,

Vitals; 56 and 73kg or 161 lbs (which ever floats your boat) intermediate surfer, typically in the water 3+ times a week when waves permit in UK.

Board; 54 PN

Can anyone give me some feedback on their experiences of thruster vs quad and the fin options they found went best.

Currently set up as FCS SF4 Performance Core fins and it goes fun but does fell a little stiff at times.

This weekend I tried FCS AM2 Performance Core fins as a straight thruster and found the tail wanting to slide a little too often through hollow sections and take offs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi i use my PN 5.8 as a quad only with SF4 and K2.1 which i found more loose but lack drive {maybe 10 kgs over you is the reason}.I try also SF4 front with K2.1 rear and really like that combo.AM2 have more sweep and really like them in more taditional style shortboards and more upright fins for my hybrids boards.

Cheers..

Comment

@GLH_UK,
      Check out these following FCS Quad sets: Rusty R-2, TC Aqua Line, SA-1, Q-PC5. Another option (more expensive) H3 nexus. There's a feature on the FCS website that allows you to compare at least three fins side by side based on Drive, Pivot, and Hold.

I heard Pnator doesn't work well as a thruster because of the wide tail hence the sliding. However, you can add a knubster to your quad setup to give you that thruster feel and control.

ALOHA!!
      Last edited by hawaii_boi; 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Hi GLH
        I am a similar weight and height as you and also have a 504 PN also. I ran my 506 PN with PG5 FCS front and side bites with the nubster if the waves were punchier.
        That had drive and a loose feeling at the same time but held well in the more powerful surf. When its weaker the standard Glass flex stretch fins with nubster are also nice. For a real laugh rock the PN as a twin fin, say the MR super twin fins. The board is crazy loose fast and fun.

Comment

I had luck with these Futures thruster combos:

-HS1 fronts with AM1 Blackstix rear
          -Roberts fronts with AM1 Blackstix rear. Roberts had a bit more hold and drive than HS1.

AM2 with AM1 Blackstix rear was a little too drawn out for me on turns and stiff. The V2 foil really seemed to add some additional liveliness too the board in thruster setup. Funny that I couldn't get along with V2 foils on my 5'8 Dom though.

I didn't bond with the Potatonator as a quad. Fun for sure, but I actually had too much speed most of the time.

Comment

In 606 PN FCS have tried
            SA 25 large quad with and without nubster - great
            GMB 5 quad with and without nubster - great
            Aqualine quad with and without nubster - spins out on occasions when taking off, not so stable but they are a smaller fin area.
            Aqualine fronts with PC5 rears - ok but a bit stiff and unlively
            SF4 quad glass flex with and without nubster - good but doesn't compare to top 2. Looking for a set of PC in these may make a big diff.

My current preference would be the GMB's, the nubster going in on the suckier waves over chest high.
            Not a big difference between these and the SA's.
            Plenty of drive but still up for snaps and roundhouses to your heart's content.
            I'm 6'2" and 88KG
            I never do thrusters anymore, find the combo ho hum when compared to quads but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by Denchy View Post
              In 606 PN FCS have tried
              SA 25 large quad with and without nubster - great
              GMB 5 quad with and without nubster - great
              Aqualine quad with and without nubster - spins out on occasions when taking off, not so stable but they are a smaller fin area.
              Aqualine fronts with PC5 rears - ok but a bit stiff and unlively
              SF4 quad glass flex with and without nubster - good but doesn't compare to top 2. Looking for a set of PC in these may make a big diff.

My current preference would be the GMB's, the nubster going in on the suckier waves over chest high.
              Not a big difference between these and the SA's.
              Plenty of drive but still up for snaps and roundhouses to your heart's content.
              I'm 6'2" and 88KG
              I never do thrusters anymore, find the combo ho hum when compared to quads but that's me.
              WHat size is your PN?

Comment

Hey el02
                PN is 6'6"
                A bit overfoamed but am 55 yo and need a bit of float against the groms and logs at my home break. It certainly levels the playing field in that respect and really happy with it

Comment

Working...
                X