X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To potatonator or not to potatonator

Hi all. I guess my title says it all. I've been surfing on and off for about 3 years now. I've had quite a long lull when I moved to the UK and have recently tried getting back into it over here in the east coast (NY).
    I previously rode a 9' longboard then shifted to a funboard (7'2 bonga Perkins by south point)...after which my almost 1 year lull began.
    I've thought of shifting to a shorter board since I've started. I got a cheap board over Craigslist and have had some rides on it. It's a 6'3" x 20 1/4 (i think) 7s super fish. Sadly my wave count is by far not where I want it to be. On top o that my board is chipping away.
    Hence the thought of getting a new board. I was initially thinking of the potatonator but have been having doubts I I can handle it given my current skill level. I'm hoping I don't have to revert back to a mini mal or longboard.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    I'm 5'5" 72 kg (but working on getting to 66-68kg). I usually ride knee to waist with occasional shoulder high waves.

Again thanks for reading n sharing your input

Potatonator all the way or even a Baked Potato (although this would probably be too much of a cut in length for you) Potatonator will revel in those wave heights. At your weight I would say a 5' 10" maybe a 5' 5" baked

Comment

Chuxter77, if you are mostly riding knee to waist high, I would recommend a Potato (Sweet or Baked). Don't let the size fool you...it will get up and go faster than the Pnator in small waves. The width of the board and the even distribution of volume compensates for the length IMO. I've ridden the Baked from knee high to head high so you should be covered. I felt the pnator was better from waist high and up. Check out the 5'3 (5'1 if inter/advance) Baked. If you still insist on a Potatonator check out the 5'6 (5'4 if inter/advance). A little extra volume is actually a positive when riding small waves.

ALOHA!!

Comment

being from ny i would recommend the potatonator for your small wave board.. have a sweet as well but i like how the potatonator fits into the beachbreaks here.. have the potatonator for under stomach.. but rode it in up to shoulder a couple weeks ago and it handled pretty good not great bc it was shallow and hollow

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
          being from ny i would recommend the potatonator for your small wave board.. have a sweet as well but i like how the potatonator fits into the beachbreaks here.. have the potatonator for under stomach.. but rode it in up to shoulder a couple weeks ago and it handled pretty good not great bc it was shallow and hollow
          Hey guys. I usually go to surf in Ogunquit, been to NY a couple of times. I'm feeling inclned to suggest the pnator here for the conditions and the type of crowd you are going to encounter

Comment

Hi Chuxter77
            It sounds to me that you 7s is not producing the goods with a low wave count.
            If you feel you need to get back into the swing of things have you considered the Addvance.
            The board has a drawn in tail and will catch everything in site dramatically increasing wave count and progression. A 506 508 PN will have the required volume but the length might be an issue.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys...deviating a bit from the topic...I went out today and was able to finally catch some...random...

going back to the topic at hand, I do feel like I may sway more to the potatonator. I wish I could get a chance to try out both boards first before locking in a decision. Btw, does anyone know if they are coming out with a timbertek version for the potatonator?

Comment

• Chris
                Chris commented
                Editing a comment
                TimberTEK options are only the 3 that we have out there right now. No plans for any additions at this point just because there is so much demand for what we are currently offering. perhaps some day, just not in the plans yet. CHeers

Originally posted by 50young View Post
              Potatonator all the way or even a Baked Potato (although this would probably be too much of a cut in length for you) Potatonator will revel in those wave heights. At your weight I would say a 5' 10" maybe a 5' 5" baked
              Would the 6'0 be easier to paddle? I'm a bit hesitant on going blow the 6' size cause I might lose paddling power?!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                Chuxter77, if you are mostly riding knee to waist high, I would recommend a Potato (Sweet or Baked). Don't let the size fool you...it will get up and go faster than the Pnator in small waves. The width of the board and the even distribution of volume compensates for the length IMO. I've ridden the Baked from knee high to head high so you should be covered. I felt the pnator was better from waist high and up. Check out the 5'3 (5'1 if inter/advance) Baked. If you still insist on a Potatonator check out the 5'6 (5'4 if inter/advance). A little extra volume is actually a positive when riding small waves.

ALOHA!!
                hmmm this is giving me a lot to think about :) I'm starting to think 1 board is not enough hehehe

Mahalo nui loa

Comment

Chuxter77, I recommend demoing if you are unsure. I still think the Baked or Sweet is perfect for the waves that you are planning to catch though :)

ALOHA!!

Comment

Hi I'm 13 and ride a 5"2 potato nator and I ride it in 1-4ft surf I ride my gromflex if it gets any bigger but the potato nator handles 3 foot easy best board so much fun

Comment

• Chris
                      Chris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      keep ripping matt

Chuxter i think the Baked or Sweet Potatoes are the options for you. They will just make that transition easiest for you. Perhaps after you spend some time on a smaller board, you will then look to step up to a better wave board like the Dom or Potatonator...

cheers

Comment

• Marklids
                      Marklids commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are the BP and sp as easy to surf being so short with flat rocker?

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Chuxter i think the Baked or Sweet Potatoes are the options for you. They will just make that transition easiest for you. Perhaps after you spend some time on a smaller board, you will then look to step up to a better wave board like the Dom or Potatonator...

cheers
                    Couldn't have said it better myself! haha! Get the Baked and a Unibrow! that should cover knee high to double overhead waves! :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                    X