Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right, passed the border with no incidents!!!;). Now here is a few pics of the Potatonator 5'8" compared to the Spit 5'8" and the potato 5'2"Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment

Tomorrow I'll be putting it on the test bench with the set of Solus Thruster to compare it to the Spit
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by megsy View Post
      Just picked up my 504 FST Potatonator to add to my quiver. Had a quick surf in 3ft, high tide, wind swell. First few waves took a little getting used too as you can't go hard like you would on a high performance board, you have to kind of go mediocre (pull it back a bit) & then it performed better with the potential to go even better once I have it more dialled in...stay tuned!
      What fins did you use?

Comment

• Good stuff Ignatius...definitely want to hear how it goes with the Elevon fins...those things are out there.
        Why the same size as the Spitfire?
        Plus update your sig and follow my lead with the preferred fins for each board if it'll fit.
        Thanks.

Comment

• Well I was gonna to pull for the 5'6" but Chris talked me into the 5'8". For the weak East Coast waves the extra foam is gonna help for sure!!!.Tomorrow I'll be trying the board on the Solus just to compare to the Spit and Sat I'll put the Elevons!!!.
          The board has quite some rails but the tail is not as massive as I though. Saw a RF 5'6" the other day and looked pretty small to me

Comment

• When I first surfed the PNator (same size as my Spit 5'8), it felt really wide and thick and I thought I made a mistake. But the board goes really well in small stuff up to shoulder high and I believe it's a better addition to the Spit 5'8 than would be a PNator 5'6. You're pretty geared up in the small stuff now iggy! I'm definitely interested as well to know how it goes with the Elevon!
            Is it a GoPro plug on the nose of your Spit? Yew! New videos coming soon if iggy flying on Elevons! Lol.

Comment

• So if I rode a 5'10 Dom and Spit and a 5'6 Sweet Potato what would you suggest for me in relation to the Potatonator??. I want it for 2ft plus..small wave groveller. I weigh about 85kgs and am 42 years old. Intermediate...good on my better days. What size PN??

Comment

• I rode a 5'10 Spit now a 5'11 ELF and i've got the 5'8 PN....surfed it in 1ft to 3ft so far and goes really well, better in 2ft+ (nothings that great in 1ft) weak wind swell too. Never surfed a SP but to be honest if I had my SF still i'd probally get a 5'4 SP for cruzing the 1ft range....but having said that i'm really getting into my PN, its the only board i go to now so i'd say 2" shorter than your DM or for more of a groveller match the size

Comment

• Originally posted by benny81 View Post
                  I'm really getting into my PN, its the only board i go to now so i'd say 2" shorter than your DM or for more of a groveller match the size
                  I'd say the same!

Comment

• I rode a 5'4 SP and a 5'8 Dom and went for a 5'6 PNator.......I am really enjoying the PNator in anything up to head high (haven't tried it in in anything overhead yet) and i am really surprised as to how well it takes a drop.

FWFan how much do you weigh?

Comment

• Attachment Attachment

3hrs sesh on the new potatonator 5'8".Board freshly waxed before starting and well, looks like it will need rewax.
                      First impression you feel the extra volume right away while paddling and sitting on it, but its so well distributed that it does not interfere at all once on the wave. Rails seem massive and tail wide,to as much as I thought, which helps a lot on weaker waves.
                      This board sits perfectly in between the spitfire and the potato.
                      Went first in the water with a set of SOLUS. Conditions today were pretty weak on our wave. Wave pretty green and not too steep. First off the bat that wide tail makes it sit on the flat water pretty nicely. You feel right away the benefits of the extra foam on weaker days. First wave down the line of to a roundhouse throwing quite bit of water (on the weaker wave), BAM!!! right back in. Despite the bigger tail, that V off the tail mixed with the "hatchet" of the SOLUS makes it pretty maneuverable allowing to fit nice little snaps in really tight spaces. A set I will use on fun runny be achy waves. Would want a bit more drive and hold on bigger conditions. Couple of waves and switched for the ELEVONS
                      Now these ELEVONS are all about speed and drive. Right off the bottom turn and it's like you stepped on the gas pedal of a car. Tons of control and nice arcs. Lines are not drawn as tight as the SOLUS but still close. These will go on any wave where speed is needed to go through sections.
                      Is to be note as well that like its cousin the potato, this board needs to be surfed with the back foot all the way back the tail pad. The beauty of it is that the wider tail is complemented with a V off the tail so maneuverability does not suffer, having a superb small wave performer.
                      Will surf this thing on anything between 2-4ft not too hollow, guaranteed enjoyment. Happy I went with the 5'8". Tomorrow I'll jump on the 5'6" RF but the extra foam of the 5'8" does not get on the way at all.
                      Can't wait for tomorrow to take it back again!!!.Now fun time is over...back to work to make some more pesos like this I can get more toys!!!!!;)
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Yep super fun board! Cant wait to get some SA2 Quads for mine.

Wouldn't mind trying out a 5'10 in the weaker waves, especially if it still performs well.

Surfed mine today but twanged my back and cut my foot on the groynes so getting dosed up incase of waves first thing tomorrow! Other than that it was fun in very bad waves.

Comment

• Originally posted by iggy View Post
                          Attachment Attachment

3hrs sesh on the new potatonator 5'8".Board freshly waxed before starting and well, looks like it will need rewax.
                          First impression you feel the extra volume right away while paddling and sitting on it, but its so well distributed that it does not interfere at all once on the wave. Rails seem massive and tail wide,to as much as I thought, which helps a lot on weaker waves.
                          This board sits perfectly in between the spitfire and the potato.
                          Went first in the water with a set of SOLUS. Conditions today were pretty weak on our wave. Wave pretty green and not too steep. First off the bat that wide tail makes it sit on the flat water pretty nicely. You feel right away the benefits of the extra foam on weaker days. First wave down the line of to a roundhouse throwing quite bit of water (on the weaker wave), BAM!!! right back in. Despite the bigger tail, that V off the tail mixed with the "hatchet" of the SOLUS makes it pretty maneuverable allowing to fit nice little snaps in really tight spaces. A set I will use on fun runny be achy waves. Would want a bit more drive and hold on bigger conditions. Couple of waves and switched for the ELEVONS
                          Now these ELEVONS are all about speed and drive. Right off the bottom turn and it's like you stepped on the gas pedal of a car. Tons of control and nice arcs. Lines are not drawn as tight as the SOLUS but still close. These will go on any wave where speed is needed to go through sections.
                          Is to be note as well that like its cousin the potato, this board needs to be surfed with the back foot all the way back the tail pad. The beauty of it is that the wider tail is complemented with a V off the tail so maneuverability does not suffer, having a superb small wave performer.
                          Will surf this thing on anything between 2-4ft not too hollow, guaranteed enjoyment. Happy I went with the 5'8". Tomorrow I'll jump on the 5'6" RF but the extra foam of the 5'8" does not get on the way at all.
                          Can't wait for tomorrow to take it back again!!!.Now fun time is over...back to work to make some more pesos like this I can get more toys!!!!!;)

Hey Iggy

How did you get on with the RF version? Did it feel much different?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Wave flat today so I did not have the chance to try the 5'6" potatonator.
                            I'm expecting the RF to be a bit stiffer in the sense that the input-output will be more direct. Also the RF will be lighter than the FST. In my case I appreciate the extra weight

Comment

• man i;m thinking about selling my dom for a 5'8 nator

Comment

• KDropin,

Do you find that there is a bit of wave crossover with your 601 Razor and you 508 Dom?

I did exactly what you are thinking about doing....sold my 508 Dom and bought a 506 FST Potatonato. I found that there was a lot of crossover between all three boards and i was not riding the Dom at all. Anything 1-5ft gutless waves i surfed the PNator and anything else with a bit of punch i could surf the Razor. For me the optimal range for the Dom was shoulder to head high and anything a bit smaller it was not as fun as the PNator. I have surfed the PNator in hip to head high waves and had an absolute blast.

All 3 are fun and have their place so it is a hard call......you may find a bit of crossover between the Spud and PNator, but if the waves have a bit more of a takeoff the PNator can handle the drop well.

Comment

Working...
                                X