X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a stupid question;

Are we saying that the 1L extra volume of the 5'4'' in a wider, shorter template, thus foam volume distributed differently will give me what i am after in small waves or that to really benift in small waves, the 5'6'' with an extra 3L is the call.

I assume it will be a trade off between the 5'4'' feeling more lively and intune with the 5'8'' SC i currently ride and the 5'6'' having additional floatation in the small stuff but maybe feeling a bit more clunky if you like.

The last thing i want is to feel like i am riding a boat but i also dont want to be struggling throughout the summer.

Is the idea to keep the volume a constant and spread it differently to suit different waves????

Comment

It's a bit of both really.
      In a shorter wider board of a similar volume you're getting all that volume in a flat little planing area right underneath you, but at the same time as conditions get worse it's nice to have a little extra volume.
      I ride the 5'8" Sub also and would be getting on a 5'6" Potatonator no question. You're quite a bit lighter than me which opens up the 5'4" as an option but based on the conditions you've been preferring the Sub in I think going with the extra volume of the 5'6" will give you more enjoyment in smaller stuff. Once it gets bigger I'm sure you'd be jumping back on the Sub anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
        It's a bit of both really.
        In a shorter wider board of a similar volume you're getting all that volume in a flat little planing area right underneath you, but at the same time as conditions get worse it's nice to have a little extra volume.
        I ride the 5'8" Sub also and would be getting on a 5'6" Potatonator no question. You're quite a bit lighter than me which opens up the 5'4" as an option but based on the conditions you've been preferring the Sub in I think going with the extra volume of the 5'6" will give you more enjoyment in smaller stuff. Once it gets bigger I'm sure you'd be jumping back on the Sub anyway.
        Agreed there!!

Comment

good feedback PRJ

Comment

anyone know the width 12 inches down from nose on pn? and width 12 inches up from tail on the 5-8 or 5-10. curious in comparison to my 5-4 sp if its too pulled in for my likings.

Comment

hey Daven,

508 tail 1' up: 17 1/8"
              510 tail 1' up: 17 3/16"

Hope this helps.

I'll have it up on Board Compare soon.

Comment

I'm biting the bullit and ordering a PN in FST for June in Aus.
                Still not sure on size tho. Im 5'6 and 64kgs - 140lbs.
                I was recommended a 5'4, or a 5'2 if I wanted to be challenged...
                I have a 6'0 Aloha AF2, 5'10 CI Whip, 5'6 Dick van Straalen Fish which is prob a bit big but good for seriously flat days or small points and want something for the really small days in Sydney that is more performance and better on beach breaks and peaks.
                None to demo around here yet.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I'll have it up on Board Compare soon.
                    Hey Chris, any news about the Potato-nator on the comparison page? Cheers.

Comment

So whats the most popular quad fins for this board then?? Simmon Andersons look good

Comment

2ftandjunky

I have surfed my 5'8 RF PNator with Simon Anderson Quad set and really liked them also tried the Techflex AM2's as a thruster and they seemed to be great as well.

I am expecting my 5'6 FST PNator to arrive next week and will try the Simon Andersons in that but i am also hearing good things about the Rasta Quad set and hoping to get a set to try out first so i can compare to the SA4's.

Comment

Hey, cheers mate. Simon's i'll probally get as my 5'8 Pnator is fcs and I dont think they do the Rasta's in fcs. What size do you think for me, mediums as i'm 190 lbs which I think is about 88kg?

Comment

I have Simon Anderson Futures 5 Fin set which are large......

Comment

At 88kg I would go large

Comment

I'd maybe consider the large fronts with something smaller at the back. They are big fins and I found them a bit tracky in a Dom. So fast though.

Comment

Working...
                                X