Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll get the Rasta and try to try to keep my Rob Machado at the front and put only the trailers from the Rasta to get a bit more fin area. The Machado went alright on Saturday with the PNator but the conditions were too atrocious to report any kind of feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
      Well it was the 5'6".
      I find the Potatonator a very loose board for small waves, I would put it on the "high performance small wave" category. Since you can go smaller than the dominator keeping the same volume, the potatonator feels very alive and maneuverable and the double concave makes the board go rail to rail pretty efficiently.
      The only thing else I have to say is that I can't wait to get my own!!!!. For here is going to be THE BOARD!!!!
      Iggy do you think on most days the potatonator will relace your Dom giving a more ho ride? Cheers in advance

Comment

hey magnet, not to speak for iggy here, but NO!! The Potatonator, while being more like a Dominator than a Sweet Potato, is still a ways from having the performance characteristics of a Dominator. the second the waves hit stomach high and are somewhat decent, I trade out my Potatonator for my Dominator. Now there are obviously things that will vary from person to person, but the Potatonator has a wider tail and isn't the same going through full rail maneuvers such as a cutty when you have a little speed...

They are two sick boards, but I would go into it looking at them as complimentary, not mutually exclusive!!

Cheers!

Comment

Attachment

My 506 FST Potatonato arrived today.....can't wait to take it our for a spin
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Hey, just wondering if someone could shed some light on a query? i'm currently torn between a 5'8" spitfire and a 5'6" potatonator, i've noticed the 5'6" p-nator has slightly less volume than the 5'8" spitfire, would this make it less able in the really small stuff? I'm looking for a board that can perform in junk but also up to 4ft quality surf... would i just be better off with the spitfire?

Cheers - Birtron (5'10" 73kg)

Comment

Spitfire is going to be better in 4ft quality surf, the Potatonator will have the advantage in junk.

Fazza, that FST PN looks very tasty!

Comment

Agreed. I ride a 6'6" spit & a 6'2: Nator (so also only a slight difference in volume).

The Nator goes great in junk or smaller stuff & is a breeze to paddle in but you will still have fun on the spit in these conditions!

The spit has more performance in 4' quality surf but u will still have fun on the nator in these conditions!

Its a hard call!

Personally I reckon the spit is a touch more versitile, if I HAD to choose one or the other (if I couid only have one) I would go for the spit!

Sort of depends on what conditions you come accross the most & what other type of boards you have in your quiver!

Comment

Fazza, beautiful board!

Comment

• Ok I dont normally do this because I am pretty firm on what I want but...what size do you think for a PN for me? I am 5'8, 41 years old. About 83-85kgs. Intermediate to good on my day... I ride a 6'0 HF, 6'0 Sub Schorcher, 6'2 Quadraflex (2.5 version), 5'10 Spit and Dom. I had a 5'4 SP but sold it for a 5'6 more due to getting some more rail in the water for drive. I want the PN for 1 to 3 foot max. At 3 foot (stomach high) I have other boards to ride. Hit me up with what you think lads.

Comment

• You've got a wide range of volumes as it goes from 31.1 to 38.6 and I didn't check all your quiver! I've got a PN 5'8 for the small stuff and I could have go easily for a 5'6 but I reckon you would be perfectly fit with a 5'8. If you go for the 5'10 on the PNator, there is probably going to be too much overlap between the two potatoes.

Comment

• I know in the future I am going to get a 5'10" FST and I am 6'3" 180-5ish. I ride a 6'0" DOM and a 5'6" SP. Hopefully that helps.

Comment

• Fw-Fan, 5'6" is the go or if you like a little extra help the 5'8" would also do the trick! I would go the 5'6" if I was as light & young as you! What are your thoughts?

Comment

• I like around 31-31 litres of volume for my regular boards. I dont have the Sweet Potatos anymore as I sold them so the meatiest board I have at the moment is the 5'10 Spitfire. At 33.5 litres I am ok with this being my up to chest high board but I want something for when it is very small. Hence the Potatonator. The 5'4 Sweet Potato has 35.7 litres and that was fine for the small stuff. At 36.8 litres the 5'10 Potatonator is not too far from this and thats why I was thinking 5'10 but the 5'8 has 33.9 (similar to the Spit) so whilst I know I could surf that in small stuff, I was after a bit more foam for when its 2 foot..this is doing my head in...

Comment

• Took the new 506 FST PNator out in a knee to shoulder high beach waves this morning.........kooked the first few waves but then got it wired.........man it was fun.

Found it easier to paddle than a 504 Sweet Potato, nice and easy getting into waves even if they have a little bit of suck to them.

As mine has FCS fin boxes the only FCS fins i had was the PC7 Quad set with GX rears.....they worked really well i was quite surprised.....getting some Rust R2 Quads to try in it tomorrow i thin they will give it a bit more drive and hold.

Comment

Working...
                                X