Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers for the review Fazza, looking foward to future session reports on your new Potatonator! I'm interested to hear how you find the 506 Potatonator compares to your old 508 once you've had a few more surf on it, as I'm 5'9 and ~70kgs as well.

It's good to read some reports from South West WA as I live in Perth but often spend my weekends surfing outside Perth. So I'm looking for a board that will help me to get the most of the frustratingly small & poorly shaped surf that is frequently on offer at the local beachies, as well as for the kind of waves you seem to be surfing on it further down south. The reports on this forum have me also leaning towards a 5'6 FST Potatonator, so hopefully one is available for a Demo at either Vidler's or Country Waves.

Once I've figured out my small-wave board I just have to decide on a board for the good & solid 3-6' days I might get to surf once every month or two - Hellfire, Hellrazor, Futura, Mini Driver? But that's for another thread!

Comment

• What're the lower/upper limits of the potatonator as far as wave hight goes for an intermediate surfer?

Comment

• Originally posted by QuesoLoco View Post
        Cheers for the review Fazza, looking foward to future session reports on your new Potatonator! I'm interested to hear how you find the 506 Potatonator compares to your old 508 once you've had a few more surf on it, as I'm 5'9 and ~70kgs as well.

It's good to read some reports from South West WA as I live in Perth but often spend my weekends surfing outside Perth. So I'm looking for a board that will help me to get the most of the frustratingly small & poorly shaped surf that is frequently on offer at the local beachies, as well as for the kind of waves you seem to be surfing on it further down south. The reports on this forum have me also leaning towards a 5'6 FST Potatonator, so hopefully one is available for a Demo at either Vidler's or Country Waves.

Once I've figured out my small-wave board I just have to decide on a board for the good & solid 3-6' days I might get to surf once every month or two - Hellfire, Hellrazor, Futura, Mini Driver? But that's for another thread!
        I'll let you know how i go after my next surf which will be this week for sure on it......this morning was way too big for the Potatonato and surfed the Hellrazor instead.

Solid 306ft days i would suggest the Hellrazor or Mini Driver.

Comment

• that's a big wave!

Comment

• LOL yep typo.....3-6ft days :)

Comment

• So I cant track down a set of simon anderson large quad fins so what else would work well, how about k2.1 quad and thruster set?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2ftandjunky View Post
                So I cant track down a set of simon anderson large quad fins so what else would work well, how about k2.1 quad and thruster set?
                Where you from Junky? I may be able to help you out with the Simons. The K 2.1's are a lot less fin...so depends how big you are and what size board you are riding . I dont see the K2.1s as an alternative to the Simons..maybe the PC 7 quad set is.

Comment

• I have surfed my 506 FST Potatonator 4 times in the last week in a range of waves from hip to head high. The conditions have either been nice clean offshore or a North Westerly wind/swell wave which created a nice running right hander down a beach. First time i tried the PC7 FCS Quad set and last 3 times with the Rusty R2 FCS Quad set. I was hoping that i could get one with Futures but ended up with FCS luckily I had some FCS fins around. The Rusty R2 set to me felt like a good combination of drive, speed and turn.

This board is fun, fun fun, fast, fast, fast, lose, lose and just in case i didn't mention it fun. I had a 508 Rapidfire PNator previously which got creased and decided to replace it with the 506 FST version in stead and I am glad i did. I do prefer the feel of the FST it seems to paddle really well and i like the positive feel to turns it gives.

I found the board paddles really well, easily got me into waves early and surprisingly can take a nice drop better than i though. In my opinion i prefer this little board to my 508 Dominator and can seem to handle for me anyway waves just as good and if the waves weren't suited for the PNator then I would go out on the Hellrazor.

Depending on where you are in the world you could easily have this and either a Hellrazor or Mini Driver and get yourself a 2 board quiver.

Comment

• Lucky you Fazza! 4 surf in 5 working days in winter? I wish I could work in the IT as well! LOL. I hope the waves are going to be as good this weekend because I'm coming down to Yallingup again!

I just recently got this combo PNator/Hellrazor but I love it already so much! As much fun as you said. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• FW-Fan, Cheers mate. I'm in the UK but I have just got a pair on order, just have to wait for them to come in!....cant wait to try em out.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnAww...eature=related

Comment

• Iggy,
                          You've got a Spitfire....does it have V in the nose?
                          The potatonator has and although the nose has been "grafted" off the dom I believe it's V is a new feature.
                          Any of the video reviews I've seen on the potatonator have not mentioned the V in the nose.
                          The reason I mention it is because it has a two fold advantage that I've noticed.
                          First is cutting through chop.
                          Second is helping in steeper drops.
                          I had a fish a while back and even though it had very little nose rocker the V in the nose helped greatly in sticking late drops in hollower waves and also in onshore conditions when the face had surface chop.

Comment

• Spitfire has a subtle single throughout, Pete. Nose vee sounds interesting. You're right, I haven't heard it mentioned elsewhere either.

Comment

• I reckon the reviewers studiously ignore it because I doubt they know what it's for.
                              Harsh maybe but....I'm not on the same page as the reviewer (in above vid) on some features of the board.
                              There's another you tube review from a US shop which is more accurate (but his quirks are hard to watch) but I can't copy and paste it on the Android tablet I'm using....because I have no clue how to.
                              You've got a potatonator now?
                              What happened to your signature line with stats, boards (and eh hmm....fins used) you have in it?
                              Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Yeah I think I've seen the video you're referring to.
                                I don't have a PN. To be honest I feel like I could surf the SP right up to wear I'd jump on my shortboard. That said, I'll still have the Spitfire and Mini Driver for in between stuff. I feel like that's too many boards already, but I like boards haha.
                                Not sure what happened to my sig. I noticed it was gone earlier. Checked my settings and it should still be there. Odd!

Comment

Working...
                                X