X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's those H2's coming along?
    They'll just give you a hankering for a set of Indo's. Lol.
    Geez, I'd hate it if you finally thought, "bugger it, I'm sick of this relentless badgering", folded and ordered some, only to try them and think they sucked.
    Not much chance of that though.

Comment

• Haha no doubt I'll end up with a set eventually. Curiosity will prevail.
      H2s arent here yet. Wednesday I expect. Should be some onshore slop to test them in Thursday onwards.
      Not sure which rears to try with them first. K2.1 rears, Stretch rears or DL fronts as rears...

How's the quality of the Indofins overall?

Comment

• Ok.
        But underfoot is good which really counts.
        The thing I like about them is they have good tip flex which is a positive in small surf.
        The Futures controllers are super stiff....flex wise.

Comment

• You guys seem to know a bit about fins and I can't decide on a set of quads for my PNator. I want to use a set of quads for steep drops to get a better hold when it's closing out then I want to ride the line as fast as I can. I tried the S4A and I think they're too big for me, too drivey, so I wonder if a set of Rasta's or Stretch would be the go. But which ones?

Comment

• Originally posted by David_KJeep View Post
            You guys seem to know a bit about fins and I can't decide on a set of quads for my PNator. I want to use a set of quads for steep drops to get a better hold when it's closing out then I want to ride the line as fast as I can. I tried the S4A and I think they're too big for me, too drivey, so I wonder if a set of Rasta's or Stretch would be the go. But which ones?
            The SF4's are the Stretch quad set. Rastas are slightly more loose with the narrower tip but overall a pretty comparable in size but...I must prefer the Rasta quad set...more traditional fee. I never really did warm to the Stretch quads. I also love the Simon Anderson quads and they come in Large and Medium. Bigger rear fin thought so good for drive but can be marginally tracky.

Comment

• David, I'm assuming you're talking about SA4 Simon Anderson quads?
              I'd be looking at a fin set that doesn't have too large a front fin (if you're not chasing drive) and if it's for down the line, barreling waves one with more rake and a narrower tip.
              The Stretches are drivey with the fuller template & tip as FW-fan says, the Rastas are a more traditional feel due to rake and a thinner tip.
              If the waves have grunt you may prefer a front fin with a flat inside foil which isn't creating more lift than what you need (Rastas have inside foil).
              Don't miss the opportunity to mix and match fins from various sets you have to get the desired effect.
              With my potatonator I didn't have a quad set.
              So I used my EA blackstix front fins and then sanded some Rusty composite side fins from a thruster set to fit the rear boxes. Bingo instant quad set at no extra cost.
              As you can see in my sig line the Blackstix EA's are my staple fin with a Deviant centre which goes against the prevailing popularity of quad use with this board.
              And I don't usually like thrusters in other boards but the potatonator is so fast and loose anyway.
              Have you run the Machados in the potatonator yet or are they a thruster set?
              If they are I'd put the Machado's thruster side fins in as fronts and the Rastas rear fins in as....rears...and see how that feels?
              With FCS fins one call always put the rear quad fins in the front and larger front fins in the rear plugs but Futures stop that little experiment.
              Hope this helps.
              Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Clear as mud Cuttlefish! Lol.
                Yes I was talking about the Simon Anderson. I'm not looking for more drive but more hold in steep sections. I love the Machados with my Hellrazor but to get out of these closing-out sections in time with the PNator, I think I need a set of quads which allows me to hold the rail in steep drops, to go super fast and up and down the small lips.
                The Machados have an inside foil as well. I loved the F4-thruster on my Spitfire, which have a flat foil so I wonder if the quad setup would be good on the PNator. As it's a quad setup, the fin area is probably large enough to give me the hold I need with plenty of speed and still be able to turn. What do you reckon?

Comment

• I believe you'll be fine with the F4's.
                  When surfing barreling waves on my potatonator my issue is outrunning the barrel because the board is so fast.
                  Hence the thruster fins.
                  If you need more hold in the tail use larger rears or a rakier fin. If you're finding it tracky (not wanting to break a line) then select a more upright fin and/or smaller rear fin.
                  Double sided rears will help with control too.
                  We're all different so just rules of thumb and then see where your personal preferences lie.

Comment

• Nobody knows you better than your own self!

Comment

• Not really the right thread but as it's active,

http://diversesurf.mybigcommerce.com...d-fin-set.html

I know they aren't identical to the Controller fins but they look to be based off the same idea. Looks like a lot less fin area in the front though.

My H2s arrived today. Very funky. I wish I could get hold of another rear to run the full set as a quad. As it stands I'm not exactly sure what to run as the rears.

Comment

• Those seem to have a bit less rake than th controllers...or maybe s the picture...

Comment

• Yeah, definitely not the same, but look like the same idea behind them. Maybe they'd work well for a lighter guy who finds the Controllers too much fin.

Comment

• The Diverse fins are a speed dialler (Pavel) copy/interpretation which pre-date the controllers.
                            I've used the fibreglass set on a Diverse quad fish and didn't like them in that board as much as a more conventional M5/M3 combo.
                            Not nearly as much area in the front fins. I'm not sure if they have the cant of the controllers and H2's either.
                            However if I remember, I'll check that out for you and let you know.
                            Just so happens I was buying a used ice chest for our business yesterday and spied some funky looking fins in a used board they had there. Sure enough it's a set of the very fins we are discussing.
                            So I'll take some photos of them to give you a better impression.
                            Same kind of fins can be found on the Rainbow fin co's website.

Comment

• Looking at where the tab meets the fin it looks like there's the added cant. Hard to tell from a pic though. Was always interested in the Speed Dialer fins but they are crazy money over here.

I just put the H2s in my SP. The cant looks so alien, it's a bit of a mind fuck. The inside foil is pretty full on too. Hopefully there's some slop to try them out in soon.

Comment

• Just picked up my 504 FST Potatonator to add to my quiver. Had a quick surf in 3ft, high tide, wind swell. First few waves took a little getting used too as you can't go hard like you would on a high performance board, you have to kind of go mediocre (pull it back a bit) & then it performed better with the potential to go even better once I have it more dialled in...stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
                                X