X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size and fins?

Hi everyone, since this is such a new shape and also it's going to be my first firewire board I thought I'll get a recommendation from the experts.

I am living and surfing in Sydney and only started surfing when I was 27, 6 years ago so not exactly ripping. I am surfing quite a lot though (5 times a week).

I usually surf a 6.6 Webber Pulse in the beachies around Sydney and a JS 6.8 -- 19 1/4 -- 2 3/8 shortboard in Indo and more powerful points and reefs here. I am 33 years old 6.3 ft tall and 95KG, what size Potatonator would you guys go for? (it'll be rapidfire as FST is not yet available here)

Also, a word on fins would be very much appreciated.
    thanks loads in advance!

Well for the description looks like you have some seasons on your belly already so we must assume that you should be intermediate or so.
    What type of waves are you planning on surfing the board on??.

Comment

Hi and yes, since I started I am quite keen and in the water a lot so (the lower end ;-) of intermediate I'd say, I get my waves and don't struggle surfing anything up to say 6ft waves, just a bit more down the line and a lot less radical than someone who started at a young age. I am mainly surfing Sydney, most of the time Maroubra, so smaller beach breaks is what I (have to) surf on it. I've got other small wave boards, Webber Pulse 6'6" 203/4" 23/4" 37ltr but want to mix it up a little.
      cheers

Comment

I'll be looking at the 5'6"-5"8" potatonator, wouldn't go any bigger otherwise will feel too buoyant. I don't know wha your preferences on fins systems will be but in my case is FUTURES. A good combo set could be the AM2 5 fin set which will allow you to have the choice of quad or thruster. If you happen to come across a deviant fin I suggest you to try it as well:

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detai...hflex_full.jpg

The controllers would be another set to consider as well:
        http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detai...oller_full.jpg

Comment

thanks mate, the fins look amazing and I've ordered them!

As for board size, sure it's not too small?

The volume calculator suggests 35.5 - 46.2L recommending the higher end for hybrids. The 5.10 Potatonator has 36.8L, 6.0 and 6.2 are 40.2 and 44.1 respectively, the buyers guide says 6'4'' for dominator for intermediate skills and my weight and potatonator is suggested to be ridden 2'' shorter than the dominator. All in all I was torn between 6'0'' and 6'2'' and perhaps even 6'4'' before. I know it's hard to recommend the perfect dimensions as everyone has got different preferences and surfs different waves, unfortunately I can't test ride one as the availability seems very limited in Oz and I need to order one to get it by the end of March.
          thanks to everyone for comments

Comment

Think Iggy has gotten a little confused with the Baked Potato, Sweet Potato and Potatonator volumes and sizes heh.
            I'd be looking in the 6'0" - 6'2" range for the Potatonator if I were you. Probably 6'0". Although as an all rounder the Dominator might be a better pick. I think the PN is aimed more at the lower end waves while the Dominator and Spitfire are going to suit a slightly broader range of conditions. Your call though!

Comment

My bad guys!!!, agreed on that call, the 6'0" will be my choice!!!

Comment

I surf South maroubra a bit - my 18 month old plays in the rock pool while dad surfs. Say g'day.

Comment

At the lower end of intermediate, I wouldn't go too small mate. I'm 6'5 and 90kg and ride a 6'8 Dominator which is above my volume recomendation and I still love it. I could be on a 6'6 easily which puts me on a 6'4 potatonator at similar dimensions and I would guess ability to you. The Dominator is a cracking all round shape and well worth a look.

Comment

Yeah don't forget about the Dom
                    Remember what board some of the new models are based on
                    There's a good reason for that

Comment

thanks guys, looked at the dom and love it too, but for no it's a little too close to what I've got here with a 6.6 Webber pulse I'd say, I like the idea of a thick and high volume small wave board and maroubra is sub 4 ft 80% of the time, see how I go with firewire, I have the feeling I am going to love it, dom next!
                      cheers

Comment

cheers fab!!

Comment

Working...
                        X