X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator size help

Im looking to get a Potatonator but not sure what size to get.. Im 5'9" and 160 lb and am in the beginner-intermediate level and closer to the intermediate I think. Right now i ride a 7'8" egg shape and can ride waves up to 6 feet. I finally have the money saved up and want go get a smaller board thinking about the 6 or 6'2" potatonator and iv looked at the 6'4" in my local shop and its wwway to big. What size should i get??

Hmm it's a tricky one because at first you'll need the volume of the 6'0/6'2 but if yours getting in regularly you'll be out growing it and wanting to be on a 5'8 or something in no time. Does your local shop have any demos available?

Comment

The volume calculator said between 38 - 44 I think and it said the 6 potatonator would be good. I'm thinking about gettin the 6 it's a big jump down but I do surf a lot so I I'll get it.

Comment

If you surf a lot and already have a bigger board, I'd suggest something smaller than 6' or 6'2" for the potatonator.

I'm an older, average intermediate @ ~170 lbs who can only get out 2 -3 times a month and I ended up with a 5'10" (which I think is ideal). I was able to demo a 5'9" BP and a 6'0" PN and, although I caught a ton of waves on them, I knew they were too big. I went to the low end of the volume calculator since I also have a 7'6" fun shape for when the conditions are small and crappy.

Comment

I agree with hooked, I'm avg int. at best only get out 1-2 times a week at the moment at 51yrs and 92kg I ride the 6'0" you need to go shorter

Comment

the PN looks sweet, but isn't a groveler, what type of waves r u surfing? i wud imagine ur egg can catch a lot of waves. the potato family does as well. u cud probably get away w a 5'10, but it wud b easier to sell to go smaller than bigger if u start at 6' or 6'2. once people see 6'0 for sale, unless they truly know he or she wants it, it wont sell as fast.

Comment

@omryan, at your weight, a 5'6 should do. I'm 5'8, 170-175lbs and I thought the 5'6 was just enough float.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
                the PN looks sweet, but isn't a groveler, what type of waves r u surfing? i wud imagine ur egg can catch a lot of waves. the potato family does as well. u cud probably get away w a 5'10, but it wud b easier to sell to go smaller than bigger if u start at 6' or 6'2. once people see 6'0 for sale, unless they truly know he or she wants it, it wont sell as fast.
                it is def a groveler.. does it well on the ec where we grovel all the time

Comment

i shud have been more clear. its not a groveler for me. for surfers that like to sit in heavy packs, thats cool. me, i tend to sit a lil outside of everyone at my local breaks. for the most part, hawaii_boi cud tell u, i normally wont paddle out waist high or less unless im desperate. anything above that, im open to whatever floats. since i broke my VG, the BP has been even better than i expected. id like to sample a PN head high+ to see if it cud replace it, but the BP is really good.

Comment

i shud have been more clear. its not a groveler for me. for surfers that like to sit in heavy packs, thats cool. me, i tend to sit a lil outside of everyone at my local breaks. for the most part, hawaii_boi cud tell u, i normally wont paddle out waist high or less unless im desperate. anything above that, im open to whatever floats. since i broke my VG, the BP has been even better than i expected. id like to sample a PN head high+ to see if it cud replace it, but the BP is really good.

Comment

@fokaiHI, the PN will definitely be a good choice. It's a little more narrow and has a little rocker, paddles well but not as easily as the Baked. But in head high+ surf it is probably a wiser choice as it can dip easier and be more high performance.

ALOHA!!

Comment

definately the PN is a great board. i speak only for myself when i say that its too much of a crossover board. if i had the the PN, i'd probably let two boards gather dust, but the trade off for me isnt worth it. for example, if i still had my VG it wud sit until waves got 4'+ as well as my BP wud never see the water. those two boards can be a quiver in itself. as far as duck diving, ur going to b duck diving about the same amount in L's so i dont think anything wud b different. if i was tight for cash and only cud by one board, the PN wud make most sense tho.

Comment

@fokaiHI, I'm considering the PN right now. All depends if and when the money comes. If I had a choice, I would buy all the Firewire boards! haha. ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                          X