X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PN 54 or 56 please Help !!!

Hy Guys, im 5,9 and +-75Kg ( +-165lbs ) , 12 years of surfing, intermediate level, i surf mainly point breaks, ribeira d`ilhas and coxos in Portugal ! There are only 2 potatonators avaiable in the sizes of 54 and 56, i usuallly use boards in the 27.5/28 liters range, i recently bought a Chubby but the 5.10 ( 28.7 ) not sure if it was the right decision, only have 3 sessions on her and it was nothing specila, but i think i could have been shorter to the 59 !
    The PN 54 is 28.2, its a little less than my daily driver which is the Chubby and the 56 is 30.3 which i think maybe it as too much volume, never been in the 30 liters range !!!
    My doubs in picking the right one , is the 54 has less volume and the 56 too much ??? In this kind of boards shold i go whith a litle more volume to work or stay in the range in used to 27.5/28 liters ???
    PLEASE HELP !

Cheers from Portugal
    Karluxi

I think the 5'6 will be too much for you. The 5'4 might be a touch more limited on the bottom end though. Tough call. Maybe 5'1 Baked instead?

Comment

Hey Phill, thanks for the suggestion, but i want something a little bit more performance oriented than the BP, i think the PN is the one, i guess !!! In your opinion which are the main differences between the two?

Comment

5'4"

Comment

• Karluxi
          Karluxi commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Iggy, do u really think i could go 54 ? Im tempted to go that way, but affraid this kind of board need a little more volume to actually work !

Cheers

Karluxi the 5'4 should be perfect. Another board to look at would be a Unibrow.

ALOHA!!

Comment

• Karluxi
          Karluxi commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks mate, now i can feel i could go 54,I was undecided between chubby and unibrow, I chose the chubby , the PN is to surf mostly in 2 to 4 ft mushy, maybe the Dominator is a good choice too, never try it !

Aloha !

• hawaii_boi
          hawaii_boi commented
          Editing a comment
          Karluxi i like the pnator over the dominator.

ALOHA!!

I weight myself 86Kgs and have a pnator 5'8" which floats me more than plenty even wearing the thick neoprene. So flotation wise for sure should be perfect

Comment

• Karluxi
          Karluxi commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Iggy, I DEFINITELY go 54 if i pull the trigger on the PN, what do u think about yours ?

Karluxi - I'm 5'11" and weigh as much as you and love my 504 PN. It looks short, but it has a surprising amount of volume in the middle of the board so you will be able to paddle and catch waves quickly.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Really like the extra little chunk for the NE coast of the USA. Still delivers, easy to put on rail due to the V bottom. Ride mine as a thruster with a set of the SOLUS and goes dreamy

Comment

• Karluxi
            Karluxi commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you tried the dominator, cant decide 54 PN or 56 Dom ?

The Dominator is a beauty of a board, but the Potatonator will have a lower bottom end.

Comment

You will be able to ride the Dominator in a little better surf than the Potatonator, but both are considered hybrids. The PN will give you that familiar amount of float that you get with the potato boards and feel more skaty and loose under your feet - this makes small waves very fun. The Dominator will have more control to allow you to surf waves that are not complete mush or chop. There's a reason for why the Dominator has been one of Firewire's best-selling boards for years. Personally, I love my PN, but you really can't go wrong with either choice.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Yeah carluxy, remember the potato family was desgned to deal with the smaller stuff, I would stick to the pnator, best of both worlds and it will keep you in the water longer of you know what I mean

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions, new Dom on the way :)) , i still have a Von Sol Shadow which i love
                to use with twins and a little trailer for the real small stuff and i dicided to keep it for a while, but i got the feeling my next Firewire board will be one of the potato clan ;)
                Cheers mates

Comment

Karluxi, what size dom? i still like the pnator over the dom haha

ALOHA!!

Comment

With your Von Sol as your small wave board and the Dominator as your better wave shortboard I think you will love your quiver. Let us know how it rides!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Me too

Comment

Working...
                      X