X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there guys

I've just ordered a 6'2 P'nator FST yesterday. I'm 89kg's. I'm in two minds as to whether I should have got the 6'2 or 6'0. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I noticed a few guys on this thread who are between 85kg's-100kg's riding anywhere between 5'8' to 6'2 P'nator's.

I'm 36, had two ops in the last 12 month's and am now nearly fully recovered enough to hit the water again (was previously surfing a hybrid 6'4 x 21 x 2 3/4 - avg. board). I intend on surfing fortnightly. Used to surf a few times a week years ago. I'm 89kg's but should drop to my normal weight of 80kgs in the next 12 months. I want the board to have the most amount of volume possible without feeling corky so I can get in to the wave nice and early. Have I done the right thing in ordering the 6'2 or should I change it to the 6'0???? The guy at the store recommended go smaller but given what I've just mentioned and that I've been out for so long I went the 6'2. Decisions, decisions, I have a headache now!

Cheers
    Last edited by anthvico; 06-28-2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthvico View Post
      Hi there guys

I've just ordered a 6'2 P'nator FST yesterday. I'm 89kg's. I'm in two minds as to whether I should have got the 6'2 or 6'0. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I noticed a few guys on this thread who are between 85kg's-100kg's riding anywhere between 5'8' to 6'2 P'nator's.

I'm 36, had two ops in the last 12 month's and am now nearly fully recovered enough to hit the water again (was previously surfing a hybrid 6'4 x 21 x 2 3/4 - avg. board). I intend on surfing fortnightly. Used to surf a few times a week years ago. I'm 89kg's but should drop to my normal weight of 80kgs in the next 12 months. I want the board to have the most amount of volume possible without feeling corky so I can get in to the wave nice and early. Have I done the right thing in ordering the 6'2 or should I change it to the 6'0???? The guy at the store recommended go smaller but given what I've just mentioned and that I've been out for so long I went the 6'2. Decisions, decisions, I have a headache now!

Cheers
      For a thirty something and at 89kgs (and dropping) its a lot of board but..you arent totally surf fit right? Go easy on yourself and if after a couple of months the 6'2 is too big sell it and buy a smaller one. The risk you have with going too small for where you are is that you will struggle and hate it. They hold their value pretty well so may only be a couple of hundred change over. Good luck with the continue recovery.

Comment

• Hi

The 6'2 would not bee too big to turn aggressively or inhibit or to catch waves easily? I'm leaning towards 6'2 just cause I've been out of the water for so long, but at the same time want to be able to grow in to it as I have surfer a lot in the past.

Cheers

Comment

• I'm only a few kgs heavier at 92 kgs but the 6'2" has me floating at lower ribs when level underneath me so It's not too much floatation.
          The board paddles into waves really well.
          Riding it yesterday in solid 4-5' waves when the point was sectioning and thought a couple of times I could have used some more rail when trying to get round sections that had the lip hitting the board.
          Moved to my favourite section of the point and with the peaky swell it was on for a big bottom turn and pump along the wall into big roundhouse cutbacks which the potatonator does so well and the shorter rail was perfect.
          So it depends upon the type of waves you surf.
          Like FW-Fan says you can easily trade it in or sell it when you drop the weight and feel you want to go shorter.
          The easier you can paddle and the more waves you catch then the more you want to go surfing and the fitter you get.
          Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Comment

• ok, thanks for the advice. I should get it in a week so I'll report back. Now to find some fins for it! cheers

Comment

• I've been curious how my potatonator would go with Futures controller fins in it ever since I put the Indo fcs plug copy controllers in my 5'8" sweet potato and it turned into a revelation.
              Looks like I'm about to find out as I'm picking some up today.
              First they'll go in the new baked potato 5'11" and then get a run in the 6'2" potatonator.
              Stay tuned....

Comment

• Sorry for the lack of anything interesting in the following video but that is actually what's interesting, the wave is pretty flat, where everybody is struggling to even stay on it, this thing just goes all over the place.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlAdOA2dSk

Anyways it always feels good a little water time before going to work

Comment

• Hi Iggy,
                  Do you have any footage shot from the bank as the Gopro stuff makes me dizzy?
                  Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                    I've been curious how my potatonator would go with Futures controller fins in it ever since I put the Indo fcs plug copy controllers in my 5'8" sweet potato and it turned into a revelation.
                    Looks like I'm about to find out as I'm picking some up today.
                    First they'll go in the new baked potato 5'11" and then get a run in the 6'2" potatonator.
                    Stay tuned....
                    I assume they'd go better with a tad more sophistication and precision in manufacturing processes, but would they go 3X better? - they cost three times as much. Interested to hear your thoughts - real pure general interest!

Comment

• Rest assured Buzzy, my experimentation is being financed on a shoestring budget and so no need to go 3x better.
                      The controllers should suit the baked and also maybe the pot
                      atonator due to their tail area. I know you've gotten a so-so ride out of them with your dom.
                      What will be interesting is that the futures have a more precise inside foil on the fronts ( I think) and the Indos have a lot more flex.

Comment

• Working on that at the moment!!!;)

Comment

• I think it's more my style (whatever it is) just doesn't suit that fin, plus maybe I've tried them in too small waves (ie waist high and below). I'll probably give them another go in more suitable conditions, but that will have to wait until I have a surfing holiday where I can get in 2 or 3 surfs a day and afford the time to experiment. With work and family and post grad study, surfs are hit and run missions and I'm reluctant to jeopardise a good surf in those circumstances by using gear that may not work for me. I think around November I may get in a week's surfing holiday, and I'm definitely hitting Margaret River next March for a wine and surf holiday (my wife's in the wine biz, so not so hard to swing that one).

Comment

• there's plenty of wives in the "whine" business.
                            Probably why divorce rates are so high.
                            I'm ducking for cover now...

Comment

• Hey Iggy have you tried the Elevons on the Potatonator???...I demo'd a 5'8 PN today with Elevons and I am speechless...they give you sooo much lift and sooo much speed its almost too much. I will be riding them again tomorrow but gee...I am blown away by the speed they generate and they still really feel positive and give heaps of hold.

Comment

• fw fan, fst or rapid fire construction nator? and how much do you weigh? elevons are a medium size fin right?

suncoast

Comment

Working...
                                X