Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Goanna, not sure where you surfed yesterday but my local was waaay more solid than expected..Sets were 4ft easy. I expected 2 maybe 3 foot max and would have ridden another board if I had one down there. It was one of those sneaky swells that just no one expected which was great because there was initially only 3 guys out. Anyway.. I rode my PN with the Elevon quads. I think Chris once called them "Novelty" fins but...I love them. Raz from FW up in Currumbin lent me his set and I thought I would give them a go because I wasnt going to shell out that kind of money without trying the right out. So over 3 days I did just that...and then bought a set. Rode them yesterday and love them in that board..Not sure where you are but we should catch up some time and Ill give you a lash on them...I think you would be very surprised.

Comment

• Yeah I drove past a few beaches yesterday during work time and headed to my favourite spot after work and was surprised how small it was but ran out of time to drive around.
      I'd ove to take you up on that fin offer as it sounds like you rate them highly. I'm camping for a long weekend up North at my other favourite beachbreak at the end of this month so I'll PM you and see how far it is for you.
      Look forward to it!

Comment

• I have a set of Controllers but only use them on my SP. I will try them in my PN now. Thanks Goanna.

I absolutely love this board. It has relegated both my Dom and my SP to the rafters. I now tend to switch between the Potatonator and the Hellfire.

Comment

• Goanna,

I'm about your size and age. I have the 6'0 PN and I am thinking about downsizing next spring to the 5'10. I also have the 6'2 dom and it fits perfectly for my size and ability. I'm Solid intermediate to advanced in good knee to head high waves. Head to overhead drainers are my weak area. Do you find the 5'8 PN to be a tougher board to paddle than your 6'2 dom in weaker waves? It sounds like the 5'8 might be a better small wave board than the 6'2 dom. I know the 6'2 dom is 38L and the 5'8 PN is around 33 I think. I'm not worried about surfing the 5'10 in good stomach to shoulder waves because the wave power will negate the loss of volume. It's more about surfing it in those weak waist high waves. The 6'0 at 40L covers me well but I'm hoping by downsizing I'd actually get little more maneverability and more help fitting the board in punchy pockets. Just curious how your 5'8 pn compares to your 6'2 Dom and also your 5'8 potato?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bumper View Post
            Goanna,

I'm about your size and age. I have the 6'0 PN and I am thinking about downsizing next spring to the 5'10. I also have the 6'2 dom and it fits perfectly for my size and ability. I'm Solid intermediate to advanced in good knee to head high waves. Head to overhead drainers are my weak area. Do you find the 5'8 PN to be a tougher board to paddle than your 6'2 dom in weaker waves? It sounds like the 5'8 might be a better small wave board than the 6'2 dom. I know the 6'2 dom is 38L and the 5'8 PN is around 33 I think. I'm not worried about surfing the 5'10 in good stomach to shoulder waves because the wave power will negate the loss of volume. It's more about surfing it in those weak waist high waves. The 6'0 at 40L covers me well but I'm hoping by downsizing I'd actually get little more maneverability and more help fitting the board in punchy pockets. Just curious how your 5'8 pn compares to your 6'2 Dom and also your 5'8 potato?
            Hey Bumper, if you are loving the 6'2" Dom I'd go the 5'10" Potatonator for sure. At our weight the 5'8"is a struggle at times to paddle when the waves are weaker. Although once up and riding it is great! I could easily go 5'10" but will stick with the 5'8" now for fitness purposes.
            As for the 5'8" SP I had a ball on it but it was too much foam under my front foot and wasn't reactive enough for me - don't get me wrong I loved that board but I wanted to take my short board act into small waves but the SP was more of a very fast, fun, easy to catch waves cruiser. I'd have you on the 5'6" SP.
            you also mentioned that you are struggling in overhead drainers-could this be due to the foam in the 6'2Dom? I was the same when I had mine. I solved that by getting a more refined tail in the Futura. It would be interesting to see if anyone else thinks the same.
            Well good luck Bumper! I hope I have helped

P.S. look out for the new Unibrow - it looks like the perfect small wave version of the Dom
            (Now that's thrown a spanner in the works hasn't it!)
            Last edited by Goanna; 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• The Unibrow is a more refined step up from the Dom I think. Between the Dom and the MD.
              I could be wrong though!

Comment

• Gianna

I have a HF for when it's pitching. Took it out today in fast steep head high long period groundswell. Makes the drop well. It's more me than the board on the takeoff. Always find myself struggling to set my rail fast enough on the steepest waves. I'm usually money on a nice shoulder. No pipe for me. Lol. I'll take your advice on the pnator.

Comment

• goanna, not camping at a certain beach (that we wont name here) south of newy are you??...i'm there everyday these days...(80 bucks in petrol a week.!!) if so, between you, me and FW we should be able to get a full demo fleet together

Comment

• Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                    goanna, not camping at a certain beach (that we wont name here) south of newy are you??...i'm there everyday these days...(80 bucks in petrol a week.!!) if so, between you, me and FW we should be able to get a full demo fleet together
                    No Core going further North, works in similar conditions though- and I think you have most of the quiver these days! I tried to rustle up the FW Fan but he will be in Indo then...lucky bastard :)
                    I can hardly wait to surf with no other commitment other than lunch and few brews around the campfire.
                    Last edited by Goanna; 10-18-2012, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• keep me in the loop mate...i'll come and drop in on ya..!!...(or the way i'm surfing these days it'll be over the falls on ya..!!)

Comment

• Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                        keep me in the loop mate...i'll come and drop in on ya..!!...(or the way i'm surfing these days it'll be over the falls on ya..!!)
                        I'll PM you for details. Mate the way I'm surfing it sounds like it will look like a body surfing comp!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goanna View Post
                          I'll PM you for details. Mate the way I'm surfing it sounds like it will look like a body surfing comp!
                          You blokes sound like your surfing at my level...at last....Welcome to Kookville.

Comment

• Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                            You blokes sound like your surfing at my level...at last....Welcome to Kookville.
                            Good thing is I feel like I'm ripping but are under no illusions that I actually am - but as long as I feel I am I'm happy!
                            Proud to live in Kookville!!!

Comment

• i reckon i've always lived there.....i must of dreamt all those rodeo clowns.....!!!!

Comment

• A sequence of a mate of mine doing his best on a 5'4" Potatonator in very weak 1-2ft waves.

click photo to enlarge!

Attachment
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X