Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by custom View Post
    Thanks iggy.
    My SP 5.6 sold because was big and now i am with PN 5.8 and MB 6.0 search for something between to replace my trusty futura.Try 5.10 Spit but was too big and i think overlap alot with PN.
    Yes they do overlap a lot. I actually believe that you are pretty much covered with the pnator and the MB.
    Take a look at the mini driver or go out of the box and consider the vanguard!!!!!

Comment

• Vanguard is on HPSB category where MB cover me(maybe different feeling between them).MD is an option and JK and CC......etc....firewire dilemmas .

Comment

• jajaja I hear ya!!! too many boards to choose from. I do think that you're pretty much covered. I'd take the "experimental approach" just to spice things up. I'll let you know guys how does it go with the Vanguard once I get my hands on it!!. Have a 5'6" in the oven. Is 28.8lts gonna float my 86Kgs???... well there is my incentive to loose some of that extra package!.
        Otherwise I see the mini driver like a solid option over the others

Comment

• Jynxz

Going to spend the winter fooling around with my set up. I might pull the trigger on the Simon Anderson Large Quad set. It seems a few riders have liked those too. Wave count will start to go down as ski season kicks in but i'll post my thoughts on the mayhems.

Comment

• Took the 5'10 out in waist high clean peelers and it went well. Four year old set of mayhems gmb went well. Fast and seemed loose. Got the board up on rail quickly. Sweet potato waves but the 5'10 pn was great. Was nervous dropping from 40l and a 6'0 pn. Decoded on the Simon Anderson large eventually though The mayhems are a bit beat up and chipped. Fcs website shows Simons might be a touch Looser with the same drive and hold. No doubt the pn and hf make a great two board quiver.

Comment

• I've just gone the other way and my 6'2" that started this odyssey of a thread is up for grabs in the local surf shop used racks.
              Still in great condition too.
              Coming my way is a 6'4" FST with fcs plugs.
              I have so many more fin options available in fcs since I have a good fin quiver.
              Just ordered 2 sets of CI twins with FCS tabs (equivalent of Futures robbers) from True Ames for the newie and another board.
              Lots of problems with shoulder/upperback/neck pain the last couple of months and so need to go for a little extra length and foam to take some pressure off them.
              Last edited by cuttlefish; 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Buying a futures PN is probably my only regret - should have stuck with the FCS too as I already have a heap of different fins in FCS - have just ordered and am awaiting delivery on a nice set of the Rasta Futures though, so should be happy again in a few days... Really didnt like the PN as a Tri anyway so the 2 futures quad sets I have will keep me happy.... for a little while.

Comment

• think im around 72kgs/158 lbs at moment, 5'9 tall, intermediate, surf in 6/5/4 winter and 3/2 summer, surf a 5'9 el fuego, 5'6 dom and 5'2 potato.

Like the volume of the el fuego and dom more when the waves are decent but still like the potato even though it feels a bit big,
                  Should I be looking at the 5'6 potatonator or 5'4. think either would work as the 5'6 isnt as floaty as the potato (which is a little too floaty most probably) and i know I can surf the 5'4 because its a similar volume to my other two boards, but worry a bit that it might be a bit more of the volume for decent waves and leave me a bit undervolumed for smallish waves.

Gut says 5'6 for a little extra float in small waves keep it fun and cruisy like the potato, but a bit more performance oreintated. But think I should at least entertain the idea of the 5'4.

5'4 or 5'6?

cheers

matt

Comment

• i went 5'6 and i'm 170ish.. lil less now i think..but surf a 5/4 during the winter and get into a short sleeve full during the summer.. i'm high intermediate surfer... advanced on a good day if im surfing well.. haven't gotten it yet though so can't give any feedback on it..i surfed a 5'8 dom but sold it

Comment

• jealous kdropin, looks like a fun board and a nice looking quiver you will have, also have a hrazor in my sights eventually I think, unless something else interesting comes out before i manage to get one

Comment

• Update:
                        Surfed my 6'4" fst/fcs a couple of times now.
                        It's been really small and windy lately which hasn't helped with finding out if I went the right way.
                        First surf in knee to thigh high only had me wondering though.
                        Used a Stretch quad set and the board lacked drive. Put in a set of MR tx's with trailer and it felt better straight away.
                        With the extra foam I needed a fin with more height to help engage the rail.
                        Surfed it in onshore waist-shoulder height waves this morning with True ames CI twins and a g1000 trailer and the board felt fast and positive under my feet.
                        Still plenty loose underfoot and happy to go vertical for a foam bash or two.
                        Ridiculously easy to catch waves on with very early planing into waves. The 6'2" was great at catching waves and the 6'4" is even better.
                        My shoulders are still aching but it's the difference between a shorter or a longer surf.
                        Swell is supposed to pick up more for the next few days and so it looks like it will get a run at the points North of me.

Comment

• yeah good feedback cuttle.

Comment

• After reading this epic thread, i'm totally convinced to order a potatonator. Thought i had the measurements nailed with the 5'8 but i'm still a little in doubt whether the 5'10 won't be better for me.
                            I currently surf a Resin8 Wade Tokoro 5'8 1/2" Quad-Fin Fish Dimensions: 5'8 1/2" by 20 3/4" by 2 3/4"
                            But i can't get a hold on how much volume that board has in litres.
                            Does anyone know how to calculate? Is that even possible with only the widest point of the board measured? I've tried emailing the shaper but no response.

Btw: thinking of ordering the FCS Matt Biolos GMB-5 PC Five Fin Set (Mayhem's) <---- will that work for me?
                            I want to try this board settup as a quad and a truster hence the 5-fin set and it will be the only finset i have.

Male
                            80 kg
                            190 cm
                            level of surfing: progressing to intermediate
                            homebreak: onshore mushy

Safe!
                            Last edited by SvenBoogert; 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Sven I am 83-84kgs and rode both the 5'8 and the 5'10 before eventually buying the 5'10. I can easily ride the 5'8 but wanted a board with extra float for small mushy waves...that 5'10 does the trick. I can ride anything down to knee high...which I did about a week ago and surprisingly had fun. I also love those fins and have used those fins on that board. I also like the Simon Anderson quad set up..probably a bit better in that board because of the bigger rear fins developed for surfing small waves. Not sure if you can demo but if you can try the Futures Controllers or better Still the Elevons..The Elevons are my fin of choice for that board. They are expensive though.

Comment

• Will the 5'10 limit me on the bigger days?

If you could only have one set of fins for the potatonator which could cover a broad range of conditions (on the lower part of the conditions 1' to 6'). What would that set be?

I have in mind:
                                - FCS R2 PC Rusty quads
                                - FCS Simon Anderson SA-2 quads
                                - FCS Stretch SF4 performance core five fin set

The Elevons look sick indeed. A little to spacey for me though.
                                Last edited by SvenBoogert; 12-17-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X