Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, the 5'10" would perform less well on bigger days. But the reality is the Potatonator will perform less well on bigger days regardless of the size you choose. It's a small to medium wave board, emphasising small medium over large medium. If you want more of an all rounder but still capable of surfing small days maybe look at the Spitfire or Dom instead. If you're happy with a board for small to medium days (that's the Potatonator's intended niche) then get the Pot and 5'8" to 5'10" will both work.

Comment

• Originally posted by SvenBoogert View Post
      Will the 5'10 limit me on the bigger days?

If you could only have one set of fins for the potatonator which could cover a broad range of conditions (on the lower part of the conditions 1' to 6'). What would that set be?

I have in mind:
      - FCS R2 PC Rusty quads
      - FCS Simon Anderson SA-2 quads
      - FCS Stretch SF4 performance core five fin set

The Elevons look sick indeed. A little to spacey for me though.
      Yeah I thought that at first. They do look 'gimmicky" but they work. Really work. Anyway if I could only have one set it would clearly be the Simon Anderson quads. You need a lot of fin for that type of board and the much bigger rears on the Simons are the trick.

Comment

• Thanks a biggy guys, i've ordered a p-nator 5'8 with a SA-2 quad set to complement the board.
        I'll have a HF 6'0 on my wishlist for the bigger days and i reckon my quiver is pretty much a done deal.

Comment

• Finally got some half decent waves for 4 days on the local point break to give the PN a fair go and OMG...... I am loving this board....... with the Indo Controllers!!!! Even in soft crap, a couple of pumps and off it gos screaming down the line, but its still loose enough to throw around (for me!!) Infact it feels more like a skateboard its so loose. Cannot recomend this board highly enough, I should of bought one ages ago.
          Tried a few other fin setups but keep coming back to the Indos. Plenty of drive but can still get the arse end to slide round when I want.... Magic.
          Feel sorry for my poor Hellfire now. Where as I bought the PN thinking *when its too small for my HF, ill take the PN* but its actually getting to the point where Ill only take the HF if it too big for the PN. if that makes sense...

Comment

• yewwww!!!, I had teh same dilema and my hellfire ended up leaving me. Now I have a vanguard coming to cover the high end gap.
            I run mine on a thruster setup with SOLUS and runs pretty nice

Comment

• Hey guys
              I'm looking for a small small wave board
              something that'll be for smaller waves than my ElFuego and be more versatile than my (non FW obviously) mini simmons
              waves generally clean and hollowish here, so not really interested in the sweet potato
              am thinking the potatonator will do the trick
              5'6" ?
              Chris - your input would be appreciated - we seem to have similar sized boards/ quivers

Comment

• Originally posted by Deon JBay View Post
                Hey guys
                I'm looking for a small small wave board
                something that'll be for smaller waves than my ElFuego and be more versatile than my (non FW obviously) mini simmons
                waves generally clean and hollowish here, so not really interested in the sweet potato
                am thinking the potatonator will do the trick
                5'6" ?
                Chris - your input would be appreciated - we seem to have similar sized boards/ quivers
                I believe you're on the right track. Very fun board to ride on the small stuff. Very easy paddler

Comment

• Where did you trade it cuttlefish?? I wouldn'tmind going bigger than my 5-10

Comment

• Big Leigh, try the guys at Beach Beat Alex.

Comment

• thanks
                      got a 5'6" ready and all waxed up
                      just waiting for a little wave now
                      am worried I've gone too big tho...
                      maybe a 5'4" ?
                      I see Timmy Reyes rides a 5'2" in the vid and he weighs 70kgs
                      a 5'4" closer to the volumes I usually ride, but then again I think the potatonator should be ridden high volume?
                      I weigh about 85kgs

Comment

• Hi Leigh,
                        You know it.
                        Beachbeat Alex.
                        :-)

Comment

• Hey Deon, I think you'll be pretty happy with it!!!. Remember the pros are... pros. Those guys could surf anything. At our weight we want to keep the versatility of the board on the smaller side of the scale

Originally posted by Deon JBay View Post
                          thanks
                          got a 5'6" ready and all waxed up
                          just waiting for a little wave now
                          am worried I've gone too big tho...
                          maybe a 5'4" ?
                          I see Timmy Reyes rides a 5'2" in the vid and he weighs 70kgs
                          a 5'4" closer to the volumes I usually ride, but then again I think the potatonator should be ridden high volume?
                          I weigh about 85kgs

Comment

• I think Deon basically is a pro! At least from the go-pro vids, my impression was a very accomplished surfer, [except for his OS butt when backhand bottom turning apparently!]

Comment

• We tend to ride the same size boards Deon and I'd go 506 on the PN

Comment

• i find it difficult to believe someone who is 85kgs would ride anything less than a 5'8 PN and get the most out of the board...its a smaller wave board built as a groveller. Just my opinion....5'6 at an absolute stretch and 5'4 youd be kidding yourself. I am 85kgs and reasonably competent and ride a 5'10 but did extensively demo a 5'8. The 5'8 is fine for 3foot plus but when its that big I will ride something more HP...I went 5'10 to ride 2 footers and its been working a treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X