Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen a couple, but I'm not sure if it's things people have made themselves. Check the Von Sol website.

Comment

Ok...experiments with fins begin.
      Stretchs haven't turned up yet.
      Never mind.
      Enter the T1's. Just so happens I have a spare trailer fin and borrowed another glass flex trailer so with that I now have a pretty big array of combinations to explore. Wouldn't mind a set of MRtfx's instead as I used them in the demo Dominator and liked them with the wide tail using the trailer.
      Tried the T1's in my Addvance but they had too much hold on top turns however the Addvance (6'6") has a much narrower tail than the Potatonator so I'm expecting them to work well just like the MR's.
      Here's some pics of the crazy combos I can explore. Totally forgot to take a snap with the T1's as they were meant to be. Twin + trailer.
      Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
      For anyone not familiar with the fins pictured the T1's are flat side fronts and double foiled rear in fibreglass with 19.79 sq inches - 8.3cms/ 3.25" trailer. While the Blackstix EA's are composite with inside foil fronts and double foiled rear with 15.16 sq inches area.
      http://www.futuresfins.com/catalog.php
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey cuttlefish I've been running that T1 + TT1 combination for about a year now on a 6'1 el fuego after trying many different quad combinations found it to be the best for me, am experimenting with a home made knubster (I have futures boxes) with good results after a bit of tweaking, as everyones probably aware subtle fin changes can transform a board, having the 5 fin option is great for a bit of experimentation and keeps that stoke alive!

Comment

Cuttlefish,

You seem like you have done a lot of reserach, and was going to ask you what your take is on the Baked Potato vs. the Potatonator?

I am looking for something to cover the mushy 1-2 foot days when the DOM is not needed as it is just too small. Love making turns and hitting the top and stuff, if that helps.

Let me know,

Brent

Comment

Cuttle that's quite some testing time right there!!!.Have you tried all those setups already??

Comment

Hwork50 I think for your needs, the baked potato will cover the low end of the crappy conditions without overlapping as much as the potatonator would

Comment

Good to hear silentp.
                I reckon that plastic T1 trailer could become a good knubster if need be.
                Hwork,
                I'd concur with Iggy about the baked potato as the choice for a bottom end goveller.
                My situation is different in that I wanted a board that will paddle well across the flats for using on points and handle the steeper small waves in a vertical attack.
                Most people may be looking at the sweet potato as a board that will have them out surfing in conditions that would normally have them shrugging their shoulders and going home instead.
                The baked potato is just extending that range upwards yet again.
                Iggy,
                Haven't tried these fin combos yet.
                First will be T1 and it's trailers as a quad.

Comment

The set of the black sticks thruster with the 2 side bits looks like it will make the board way too stiff
                  Particularly interested on the feedback of the first and probably the second pic

Comment

More than likely re the blackstix.
                    If the T1's don't have enough pivot/release then I'll look at some "Robbers".
                    Good because one can buy a set of Robbers with a trailer and then another trailer and bingo, there's a quad set up or a twin with trailer.

Comment

Hey Cuttlefish.........my 5'8 P'Nator rocked up today with my 6'1 Hellrazor........they both came with Nanotune already applied.

Going to try out the P'Nator on Friday as the swell here will be a little smaller. Giving the Hellrazor a workout tomorrow and hopefully Thursday while there is a little bit of swell left will.......let you know how the P'Nator goes.

Comment

Have fun on the P'nator (sick of miss-spelling Potatonator and having to correct it) Fazza.
                        Look forward to hearing what you think and what fins you run in it?
                        Well here's an onshore mess atm with no end in sight of the prevailing Easterlies.
                        Took to an old set of Rusty Vector II's (450) front thruster fins which have an inside foil (oh well) with the belt sander and converted them to fit my rear boxes.
                        Hey presto I've got me a cheap and cheerful quad set.
                        The fins I was given for free and had no centre fin so I guess they were destined to be experimented with.
                        Attachment
                        The little T1 trailer couldn't miss out on a photo op in the centre box.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

woah!!!

That is some serious fin area!

Comment

Going to try it as a quad with the Blackstix/Rustys and no trailer which is 30.4 sq inches combined area. I'd say the cant in the rear fins help it feel looser.
                            The Futures controllers are 28 sq inches or so (just for reference).
                            Had a quick splash this morning in peaky 2-4' swell that still had morning sickness on it from an onshore but with an offshore starting to clean the faces up.
                            The quad combo felt good on some mid sized ones.
                            Need a decent surf on them to better assess them.

Comment

Note to self: I prefer the board as a thruster in 1-2'.
                              Looking forward to getting a set of FAMT robber fins (Al Merrick template twin+trailer) in the next few days to try as I liked the Dominator with MR TFX and trailer as well.
                              Tried it as a twin + trailer with T1 fins this morning in 1' high-ish tide but smooth waves that were barely breaking.
                              Only longboarders out getting anywhere as the waves broke and ran into deeper water again and petered out.
                              Wondered what I was doing out there. Thought, this is where the Sweet potato riders would have more fun.
                              Then the tide started to drop and a small sucky right started to wall up along a bank and the P'nator was able to do what it was designed for.
                              The T1's have a bit too much tip area I reckon so not as snappy off the top as I want but not a bad fin choice.
                              Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Good news Cuttles, it appears that you can get a nubster for the Futures set up http://www.mdsurfstore.com/product/f...lass-hand-made

It wouldn't cost too much in postage.

Comment

Working...
                                X