Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, its good to know im not going crazy thinking the dom was a bit slow, and i could tell it would be better as a quad so i ordered a set for $34 from the US, they arrived just before i put the dom in the shop, but in keen to try the quad setup in another board.
    My 6'10 tuflite mollusc goes great and i surfed it in perfect waves at the Banyak islands recently, but it felt a bit long at times, especially on my backhand.
    I got a call today from the local surf shop guy and he said they cant get El fuego's until July, thats good cos i had changed my mind to the P'nater after reading this last night.
    Its so good to hear other guys who have ridden different boards, to compare with. Especially older groms who still rip. My 6'3" webber minifish is a fast, fun board to ride but at 6'3" tall i have trouble drawing a longer line on decent waves. It also has limitations hitting the lip because of the extreme thickness, but that just might be me. Its like trying to control a cork.
    Stc, good to hear the shoulder op was a success, luckily mine are still ok, and i can still paddle alright, im leaning towards the 6'4" potato, although its a similar size to my minifish i reckon it will surf a lot differently, and will handle head to h/half size waves, then i'll go the 6'10" mollusc. I would also like to ride it as a quad which i reckon adds 6 inches to a board, control wise.
    Most of the waves i ride around here are similar to Avalon point, fullish walls, but i do surf the beach breaks in winter when they are not a 5km long closeout. The reefbreaks in the SW are also a favourite in summer.
    I think the best thing i can do next is pick up the potato and addvance in a shop and check them out up close, better still would be to try a demo but i havent seen any shops that do it in WA.
    Keep posting reports of your sessions, always good to read.

. The 6'3" webber minifish is a fast, fun board to ride, despite the fact it looks crazy and way too fat. Because i am 6'3" tall it is hard to draw a longer line on a decent wave. I hadnt considered the addvance because it just looked too big, but i was mistaken for Vance Burrow surfing down at Boranup one day, so maybe i will have a closer look.

Comment

I was just doing the dishes and standing there thinking of surfboards, and i just had to come back and ask some more questions. I thought i should also clear up what sort of board im after as i think i might have given the wrong impression with my last description. I am looking for a board that i have to put a bit of effort into riding, not just a cruise machine, i have 2 of them already. The 6'4" dominator was more effort than i wanted and although i had a good surf on it, in smallish good shape waves i was expecting more natural speed. I am also not sure i gave the right impression of my surfing, it sounds like im a decrepid old man on his last legs. I still think i can do fins out the back reos on the right wave so i want a board that will give me the speed to do that in less than perfect surf. I like hearing cuttlefish's description of surfing over the back of the wave and doing some surprising snaps on his pnator. I have surfed in the masters division in the aussie titles after finishing 3rd in the state, 16 years ago, so occasionally i can surprise myself in the surf. I have a mate who is 60 and he just bought a 5'8" neck beard. Talk about a frothing old grommet! I guess what im trying to say is i dont think im ready for an old mans board, no disrespect to those who have chosen a larger weapon, we are all different. I think the addvance nose might be a bit wide for vertical snap type turns, or too wide to come hard off the bottom and up to the lip. I appreciate the wide nose helps glide and paddle speed, and that was exactly what i felt was lacking in the dom. I am a front foot surfer which i think is an important in choosing a board. Width in the front should suit me. So my questions, would a 6'6" addvance surf better as a thruster or quad? Which one out of the addvance and the pnator be more adaptable with different fin combos, as in suit a wider variety of conditions. Would the pnator go better in waist high waves?. Thanks in addvance.....

Comment

Just went surfing in awful waves after getting amped watching Slater do carving 360's in 6ft Margarets, i surfed like a decrepid old man. Im thinking that maybe i surf much better in my mind than real life. I think i have narrowed it down to a 6'6" pnator or 6'6" addvance, when will the pnator show up in the board comparison?

Comment

It will arrive in board compare in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Comment

Been subjected to surfing knee to waist high, gutless (crowded) surf at "The pass" in Byron for the last couple of days.
            Yesterday was onshore at Broken head and so I was left with no alternative to head to the Pass along with everyone else.
            Surfing the 6' sweet potato as I purposely left my p'nator at home.
            Struggled to catch waves, struggled to find "the glide" which this board is renowned for.
            51 litres but while not being corky the board isn't allowing me to tap into the wave energy passing below me.
            Yeah, yeah...I know everyone reading this with downsized spuds are sniggering at me and saying I told you so.
            I'd say I could get a better result out of the 5'8" but where will that get me...paddling a wide, short board amongst the greedy pack of longboarders...hmmm, sweet FA waves wise I reckon.
            Might have to drop into Firewire at Currumbin on the way home in a couple of days and grab a 6'10" Addvance demo to see if the extra length will give me the easy wave catching ability I was after in the 6' spud.
            So this morning I took the p'nator back to the pass even though it was 4-5' at Broken and offshore I went back round to knee to waist high waves at the Pass to find out if the p'nator would do it's thing.
            Oh, yeah! The p'nator at 44 litres paddled better and got me into the waves a lot easier. Flew down the line with the Robber fins letting me push the board into tail slides to throw fans of spray just to bleed off speed.
            Gave me the thought...when it's small the blackstix EA thruster set are good for a bit more grip in cutbacks and that centre fin will hold the tail in more than the Robbers which will allow the tail to slide with the small trailer not having as much bite.
            But the Robbers feel great in larger waves as they have excellent hold in bottom turns.
            BTW Keith,
            For me I found the 6'6" Addvance's nose is no impediment to doing vertical snaps and hard bottom turns in steeper waves. The curve in front is enough, combined with it's nose rocker and the back half off the board is it's best feature which allows the hard turns to be laid down.
            The p'nator hasn't got too wide a nose but still gives good stability on pop up. The v in the nose I believe helps with steeper takeoffs.
            It is what it is....a board designed for 2-5' waves.
            If you can possibly demo both of the boards before buying the guess work will be gone.
            Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-21-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I know how you feel Cuttlefish! I surf a pretty crowded metro line up with a lot of log riders. I have a 5 8 SP RF that suited me perfectly (I weigh 100kgs) but I got a logger drop in on me and chopped it up. I was so devo the logger said he would pay for it but I did t bother (I think he was actually scared of me). Shit happens and I paddled her in. Gave her to a local shaper to repair which somehow managed to take 2 months to fix. Anyway, I got me a 5 10 SP FST as I thought it would give me more paddling power and higher wave count. But I find you get to a point that it's either to boaty or doesn't paddle at all. It just didn't work as good as my 5 8, so it goes to show that fine line between having to much volume and not having enough. Personally the 5 8 for someone 100kgs like me is perfect. But I have just ordered a 6 2 Pnator so will hopefully send pics of her when she gets here. I'm gonna run her on Future AM2 first and hopefully she goes just as good as my SP RF.

Also has anyone ridden a 6 6 addvance? Do they track at all with the fuller nose?

Comment

Jon-bro, that spins me out, 100kgs on a 5'8", you must be fit and flexible.
                Great post cuttle, i have rellies in Ballina so i can relate to the waves you are on, i had good surf at flat rock and wategoes, 2 years ago and a good day on the lefts at south wall when it went north one day. I always have trouble getting my head around a wide nose, i see them when im surrounded by mal riders. My 6'10" Simon Anderson Mollusc has a fair bit of area in the nose and i dont think i have ever felt restricted by it. The local surf shop just rang and said they had a 5'8" P'nator just come in so i will have a look, although i wouldnt go smaller than a 6'4".

Comment

I was about 90-95 when I got the SP but still catch heaps of waves. Definitely not flexible when the wetty comes on and I'm worrying about how I struggle with flexibility. Wouldn't say fit either just positioning and most of the time luck haha.

I can't wait for my trip creso last year we scored it about 3-4 with only a handful of us out and on the SP it killed it all the way from point to beach! So I'm frothing for the Pnator to show up :-D

Comment

Cuttles cut the sweet p some slack! You can use the pnator as your small pointwave board and all rounder, use the sweet p for what you bought it for......high tide fat waves, back breaks that are difficult to connect to the inside and just quietly they re great fun in onshore mush of all sizes. Give the little chubby fella a fair go:)

Comment

Hey cuttle

Seems like u have a pretty good handle on the pnator. What type of wave might it have difficulty with. I assume anything steep over shoulder high. I have a hellfire and dom for those waves and a sp for knee to thigh. Im pretty sure im going to pick up a pnator but ive had an eye on an el fuego too. Leaning toward the panator but just want to know more abOut its limits.

Comment

Cuttlefish, you're on fire!

One thing I suspect (but can't know as I haven't surfed them) is a Potatonator and Dom probably suit a more Back footed style, whereas the SP and EF might suit a front footed style more. Cuttlefish might be able to add some thoughts here.

Comment

Originally posted by JaM71 View Post
                          Cuttles cut the sweet p some slack! You can use the pnator as your small pointwave board and all rounder, use the sweet p for what you bought it for......high tide fat waves, back breaks that are difficult to connect to the inside and just quietly they re great fun in onshore mush of all sizes. Give the little chubby fella a fair go:)
                          The pass thru to Clarke's with longboarders all over it like flys on a steaming turd is probably not the best place to subject the spud to when it's unfamiliar territory. LOL!
                          Bumper, I've had the p'nator out in well overhead waves and it's performed faultlessly. I showed the board to a Byron shaper who's been around a long, long time and he approved off its eccentric shape. He also commented on the good amount of tail rocker for the overall flatness of the board.
                          I haven't come across any waves since I got it that it hasn't eaten up and kept on making me happy.
                          It all depends upon what you're used to but I've been surfing all manner of wide, flat rockered boards for years and I'm quite a home on the p'nator but doing turns that bely my age.
                          Buzzy,
                          I reckon the p'nator's pretty balanced regarding feet positioning. I do have a habit of standing too far forward on occassion but because it's short and also thick through the deck underfoot it lets you get away with poor foot positioning.
                          It will slow it down a bit standing too far forward but it doesn't bog like other thinner, more sensitive boards.
                          The spud is back footed that's for sure.

Comment

Note to self...off home today and will give the "Big Spud" a run at home where it was intended to be ridden in the first place.
                            Scored 3' plus smoking barrels firing lefts and rights in a glassy sea right out the front at Byron main beach today.
                            Nice steep drops as the waves hit the bank and jacked throwing into barrels and either chewed me up or coming out into a gouge or two and a big reo into the end closeout.
                            Running the p'nator with Blackstix EA thrusters and had a blast.
                            The p'nator paddled in early and flew.
                            Someone asked about any negatives of the board in any waves...well I need to figure out how to stall it better for tubes as if you put more weight on the back foot it goes...Giddyup!
                            I love this board!!!!
                            Dropped into Firewire at Currumbin and in the short time I was there saw two customers asking about the p'nator.
                            The word is getting out.
                            Last edited by cuttlefish; 03-23-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Ha that's classic! Get him a paddle and he can SUP that bad boy.

Comment

Oops...editing and computer getting the better of me. Try again.
                                Here's my 3 & 1/2 year old taking the p'nator for a test paddle.
                                He reckons it paddles like a canoe.
                                Have to work on his stance to get him feeling "natural" and his back foot back on the tail pad.
                                Plenty of time for that.
                                The 6' sweet potato would be sup-able for him for sure.
                                Attachment Attachment
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X