X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator: small wave assasinator?

Been looking for a solid all round groveller for a whle now.
    As I'm pushing 50 and 92-95 kgs it's not easy to find a board that ticks all the boxes.
    So I was looking at a Sweet potato in a 5-10" to 6'. Longish I know but I wanted more rail line for increased paddleability for points. Sub 6' boards also tend to have me arching my back too much when paddling which then gives me shoulder pain.
    Anyway with small waves in mind...
    Thing about small waves is there can be quite a bit of difference between small high tide waves and small low tide waves.
    Doesn't get mentioned much because boards will usually work better in fullish waves or suckier waves.
    So you've got a Dom or El feugo for when it's a bit hollower or peakier and a sweet potato for fuller slopier waves?
    What's involved in the choices?
    Rough catergories.
    1. Go wide point forward with a wider nose and have the volume under the chest to paddle in early?
    Then pull the tail in for manourveability and hold.
    Works well in the Addvances, fish.
    Makes for a great down the line board. Points and wally waves
    2. Go wide point back with a wider tail for planing area to support the surfers weight in rear footed surfing.
    Narrower nose that doesn't catch in more vertical surfing.
    Here we go...beachbreaks and shorter arcs.
    3. Wide nosed, wide tailed, short planing hulls like the mini-simmons and sweet potatoes with fins set on the rails and back to the tail to allow pivot.
    I was keen to get a sweet potato but what was holding me back was the potential for reduced paddle power around the line up.
    Now keep in mind I'm getting older and don't have the stamina I once did so I find short stubbie boards more tiring to paddle.
    Being just down the road from the points of Noosa means there's plenty of flat water paddling back up the points for me.
    While others do the walk around I find paddling better as I suffer from hip pain when I do a lot of walking.
    On one of Noosa's points it's a great wave but sometimes the middle section can fatten up and a board that can plane over the flatter sections is necessary.
    The good thing is the end section can speed up and hollow right out.
    So there's opportunity to ride a wave which is like low tide at the start then high tide through the mid-section into low tide again.
    Then I've come across the Potatonator:
    Thicker foiled nose to tail like a Sweet Potato which will support my weight when paddling and surfing.
    A more pulled in nose like a Dominator so that vertical snaps will be easy with less nose width to catch than a Sweet Potato.
    A flat rocker for planing but with enough nose flip and combined narrower width to handle some steeper drops and top turns when coming straight back down the face of the wave.
    A longer rail line and narrower planshape than the Sweet potato in the same volume) to be a better paddler across the flats/around the line up.
    A wider tail than the Dominator so that using Geoff McCoy's reasoning the surfers centralised weight will be supported by the wide planing area under foot.
    Anyway,
    Here I am looking at my local surfshop which had JS's, DHD's, MR's, Surftechs of various models, Bourtons, Super brand, Hayden shapes, Simon Anderson's.
    They feature a mix of different design elements I've mentioned above in their "hybrid" models but they still have in no way brought all the elements together that I wanted until I walked past the Firewire's and saw the 6'2" 44l Potatonator.
    Hold the phone...light bulbs exploding in my head.
    Finally someone has made what I would like to see.
    "Come home with me baby"?
    "Oh yes", she cooed back at me.
    I paid the madam off
    Snuck her home so the wife wouldn't spot my dirty little secret.
    Ride reports to follow...did I get it right?
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM. Reason: More thoughts.

On ya cuttlefish. Look forward to the report.

Comment

Will do Buzzy.
      It's a shame I've only got a set of EA Blackstix thruster fins in Future's to try it with. My daily drivers are both quads but my dynocore Diverse has a 5 plug set up.
      May have to have a look around for a set of rears so I can run it as a quad to be fairer to it's intended fin set up.
      Controllers should work well too.
      Hope the Future's fin tree at my local surfshop is aware it's still summer for a few more days yet.

Comment

gidday cutllefish..i to fell in luv with with the potatonator , but have not seen one in the flesh yet...i am 53 and 105 kgs but still surf shortboards ..so i will wait with baited breath to hear how it went. ..iam tosing up between 6 2 or 6 4 wich has a whopping 47 ltrs..cheers mate

Comment

good stuff cuttle!!

Comment

Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment Here's some photos to give everyone a better idea of the boards outline/rocker/foil:
            Attachment
            Had a nose and tail rocker shot too but trouble uploading them.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Took it out for a surf in clean 1-2' beachbreaks this morning.
              Typical Maroochydore beachbreaks in that they'd have a nice little pitchy takeoff and then either run into deeper water and back off or if a bit larger wall up and give a rippable face into a end closeout inshore.
              The potanotaor paddled really well. The bottom is light v in the nose (better for chop and from my experience: late take offs on boards with low nose rocker) into a single then double concaves. The deck has a step with a slope down to the rail ala sweet potato.
              Keep in mind I've owned a 6'6" Addvance before and demoed both the 6'4", 6'6" Dominators in various conditions as well as the 6'5" El feugo.

All I'm going to say is all the Dominator, Spitfire and El feugo owners looking at a better board for grovelling will be shocked at how well you'll be able to surf the potatonator.

No need to try to get your head around a blobby Sweet potato planshape when you're used to riding more conventional boards if you get aboard a potatonator.
              This board will let you surf 1-2' waves on a potatonator just as well as you can with a vertical attack as on a 2-4' wave on your dominator/spit/feugo.
              I was amazed at one gouge off the top I was able to do and I'm riding it as a thruster which had me thinking, "this bloody thing is set up as a quad" so I can only imagine how good it can be as a quad...until I pick up some Stretch demos tomorrow that is...
              Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Good stuff Cuttlefish.........im expecting my 5'8 Potatonator next week and will probably run Simon Anderson Quads in it as that is the only quad set i have in Futures. I would be interested in how the quad fins you end up trying in it go.......i think that Controller fins might be too big for me at my weight.

I ordered the 5'8 which is more volume than my 5'8 Dominator but it will be using it for gultess 1-2ft surf or fuller 2-4ft surf.

Comment

Thanks for posting this.. agggh I can't wait for my POTATONATOR!!

Comment

Hi Fazza,
                    I reckon those Simon's would be plenty of fin.
                    You'd probably find the controllers too stiff.
                    The tail isn't crazy wide and I'm used to a 5'6" DMS mini-simmons.
                    Hang in there Thisis...you'll be frothing.

Comment

cuttle how do like those ea blackstix? how much do you weigh?

Comment

Love them.
                        I've been riding boards with FCS quad plug set ups for quite a while.
                        Had the blackstix left over from my 6'6" Addvance. Which I would ride with the blackstix in the sides and an SB1 sidebite as a centre.
                        I test rode a stack of futures fins before settling on these.
                        Tried twins and thrusters in glass flex, fibreglass and composites.
                        Not a great fan of thrusters but they felt brilliant in the potatonator.
                        I weigh 93-95kgs.

Comment

Attachment
                          Tail rocker.
                          Attachment
                          Nose rocker.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Hey Cuttle if you take one from the tail to the nose so people can see the bevel in on the rail that will be nice
                            Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi Iggy,
                              Are you talking about a chine on the rail?
                              If so...it doesn't have one.
                              Or are you talking about the step in the deck?
                              If so it's similar to a sweet potato in that.

Comment

Working...
                              X