X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator or Baked Potato?

Hi, Guys. Thinking about getting either the Potatonator or Baked Potato. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs and ride mostly at the Rocakaways, NY. Right now, I'm riding a board a friend gave me. It's 6'8" x 19" x 2.5/8". It's got a real pulled in nose and tail with lots of rocker. Not ideal for a beginner but I can ride it. I want to get a board that has more volume so I've been checking out the 6'1" BP and the 6'6" Potatonator. So far I'm just riding down the line, no hacks at the lip or anything but I hope to someday. I would really like more help paddling into these 1-4ft. mushy waves. It seems the more volume the better, right? Am I going too big? Are either of these boards right for me? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

hi steve,

as a beginner, I think youre looking at the wrong boards and wayyyy too much volume for your weight. I think you would absolutely max out on a 6' potatonator.

instead, I would suggest looking at a 6'6" addvance.

Comment

• steve sasser
      steve sasser commented
      Editing a comment
      justo, man. thanks so much for steering me in another direction. I am checking out the aadvance now.

Hi mate justo is spot on with the 606 been way too much vol. I would look at 508 it's the same height as yourself and heeps of float. It's fair bit wider that your current board so more stable. You will be able to manover much easer and encourage to try and be more top to bottom.

Comment

steve sasser yes too big. I'm 5'8, 175 lbs and i would ride a 5'3 baked. I hate to say this but an Addvance or submoon would be a better choice. However, if you still want a BP or Pnator, i would recommend the BP 5'3. A 5'1 BP would be better for your weight but its more for inter/advance.

ALOHA!!

Comment

thanks to all for the comments and advice. looking down a diiferent path now for my new board. can't wait to get one but want to make sure it's the right one!

Comment

Good work steve. You don't want a board that's going to hold you back!

Comment

I had a similar question. Have a SF and want to get something for marginal surf. Is the PN more of an all rounder that can handle groveling as well as a BP?

Comment

• iggy
              iggy commented
              Editing a comment
              Go for the baked, I have the three boards and the baked manages rhe small stuff better

• Marklids
              Marklids commented
              Editing a comment
              When do you use your PN? Is the BP with its smaller size require more of a learning curve?

@145lbs the Addvance will feel like a boat!! I would steer towards a dominator or the pnator

Comment

• idrew808
              idrew808 commented
              Editing a comment
              @iggy @hawaii_boi at 170lbs, and already have a 5'5 VG, I'm debating stuck between a 5'1 or 5'3 baked, or just getting a 5'6 PN. I'm leaning towards the BP cuz I feel the PN is more for better waves and may cross too much w, if I should take my VG out. What would u do?

I use the Pn whe I feel lazy to paddle and want to increase wave count while still have lots of fun

Comment

• Marklids
              Marklids commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like a fun board
              You always ride it as a thruster?

One of the best videos around

Comment

The PN is closer to a shortboard than a BP. A BP is great because in small surf it feels like you're on a skateboard, but I like the BP because I can more closely execute "shortboard-like" maneuvers on small days. The BP almost makes you change your style of surfing (if you are used to riding short boards), because of its shape and volume distribution. This is not a bad thing, but something to consider if you are someone who will be switching between your shortboard and your small wave board.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• Marklids
                Marklids commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I think PN makes more sense for what I'm looking for.
                Has more rocker than BP right?

• Josh BL
                Josh BL commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, a bit more. Just more refined with the nose and tail being pulled in.

the review vid is awesome iggy!! I'll subscribe to them on youtube i think... very useful information..... the only thing that would be better, is if FW had a wave guide on their boards pages. Just a picture of the type of wave with a surfer on it. So a slopey wave, sucky wave, mushy wave etc and a surfer to get an idea on wave size.. would make choosing a board sooooo much easier

Comment

Can't decide between 64 and 66 Does the 2 Ltrs volume make much of a difference? I tested a 62 and not enough paddle power but good when up and going.

Comment

My son is exactly your size and is getting to the intermediate level. Today I swapped boards with him while out in the water. I was on a 5'10" PN and he was on a fish. He didn't want to give it back. I'm now in the market for a 5'8" PN so I can surf my own board again.

He would probably be fine with a 5'6" but a little extra volume would help him progress. I'd recommend either of these sizes for you. I also like the PN as thruster also, especially on the backside.

Comment

Hey steve people are right about that 6'1" having to much float for 145lbs...but I am 187lbs and age 57. I am intermediate and that board is a great fit for me for catching lots of small waves for 2 hours and not getting tired out. On my 6'6" dom I could ride heavy beachbreak but got exhaused after 1 hour of hard paddling so that I could not ride decently after 60minutes. I am getting a 6'4" potatonator and and 6'8" spitfire. I hope to keep up the 2 hour sessions, catch lots of waves but not ride a board that rides too high out of the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X