X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator vs a fish

My quiver is almost complete and i think the potatonator is the last piece. Hellfire covers me from shoulder to overhead + The dom works great for me in solid chest to head. Sweet potato kills it in knee to waist. Here is where im missing that magic board. Because of my age 41/ experience 10 years and size 6ft 190lbs the dom just hasnt performed as well for me as my king fish twin fin and potato have in waist to chest high waves. Unfortunately here in new jersey thats a pretty common size range year round The potato is great when its soft and slow but when its fast and a bit steeper i prefer the twin fin. The fish works well in both conditions because of the volume and wider outline and the fact thay ive been riding fish in those conditions for the last 8 years. I know the dom should dominate in waist to chest but for some reason the fish and sweet potato just work better for me in small to medium size waves. On a powerful day with chest high sets and a sand bar working well the dom does work but thats not a consistent set up here on the east coast My fish works great and i problably dont need to get away from it but i want to continue progressing as a short boarder. The hf, potato and dom have really transformed my surfing The potatonator sounds like the answer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Your answer is in the thread I started yesterday and I reckon it's a choice inbetween and a Potatonator and a Baked potato to achieve what you're after.
    Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Different fin set ups could solve your Dominator problems.

Comment

yeah the dom works great on the ec.. i'm from li.. get the right fins and its perfect in those conditions.. i rock sf4's and k2.1's and throw the nubster in.. don't ride as a thruster.
        gonna rock a razor for stomach+ i think next.. i'll do spud for under waist.. dom waist to stomach and weak . razor waist+ and punchy just have to figure out if i'm going futures or fcs and what fins to rock.. .. that should do me pretty good

Comment

I know the dom works well for alot of people in waist higj waves but its just not enough board for me it seems like. The fish surfs much better for me in 2 to 3 ft waves. I just cAnt generate great sPeed like i can with the sp and twinnie. Sounds like the potatonator might be the right fit. Have a 6 2 dom so id go 6 on the pnator. Going to wait to see how the feedback is on it before i put in an order. If conditions were more consistent and/or i could surf more during the week i think i could progress more on the dom in smaller waves but thats not goIng to happen. A thinner version of the sp could really work well. Ive really enjoyed that board but it does have its limits. The pnator should bridge that gap to my dom and hf in chest + waves. I guess i wouldnt need the dom but ive had to many fun days on it in good waves or in bigger mushier onshore days to get rid of it.

Comment

I rode my 6'0 dom in 1' waves yesterday (knee high) with occasional sets of 2' (thigh high) and it went well. It might be worth exploring the fin set up for a moment. What fins are you currently using?

Until I found the right fin set up for me my dom underperformed.
            Last edited by Slowman; 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM.

Comment

What are the sizes and respective litreages of your Dom, fish and Hellfire?

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                I rode my 6'0 dom in 1' waves yesterday (knee high) with occasional sets of 2' (thigh high) and it went well. It might be worth exploring the fin set up for a moment. What fins are you currently using?

Until I found the right fin set up for me my dom underperformed.
                What are your fin setups? (sorry if you answered in another thread somewhere)

Comment

6 2 dom. I use the stretch quad set. When the waves have dome push i can make the dom work in waist high waves but most waist high days here are weaker. Just think with my age size style and ability level the pnator will work better in gutless waves for me. Both my fish and sp perform well in those conditions.

Comment

6 2 dom. I use the stretch quad set. When the waves have dome push i can make the dom work in waist high waves but most waist high days here are weaker. Just think with my age size style and ability level the pnator will work better in gutless waves for me. Both my fish and sp perform well in those conditions. Originally i bought the dom for better bigger waves and its performed great in good conditions. Just think i need a little wider outline and some more float in weaker waves. Once my skill level goes up the dom might work but water time is an issue for me
                    Looking forward to trying a pnator.

Comment

Been ripping the potatonator in chest high waves the last few days and think its a fun one and will perform incredibly well in small surf and do so better than the dominator. Keep in mind that it has a wider tail that still resists a bit more when being turned at high speeds on open faces, but it will rip in the same conditions that you would also be on the potato...

Comment

It likes the pocket.
                        It's no fish, that's for sure. If someone was after a closer feel to a fish then you'd want to be waiting for a baked potato.
                        If you're a happy Dom/Spit riding wanting a groveller then the Potatonator is a no brainer.
                        Love to have an FCS equipped potatonator in the future so I can access my eclectic fin quiver I have built up.

Comment

Im trying to move away from my fishes. Before firewire my quiver was a mess. But since then The potato has helped me surf more progressively in knee to waist everything. Cant believe how well i have started to surf small waves. Ditto for the dOm in better sized surf. Sounds like the pnator will do the same in waist to chest poor weak stuff we get so much of here. Ill always love my fish but i love how the sp and dom feel in the right waves for me. but i need a cross over to my dom and it sounds like the pnator might be it. It seems like thats the point of it. Thanks for all the feedback. Ill still work on my dom in small waves but for now i need a little help from the pnator.

Comment

Uh oh. Just discovered the baked potato. This might be a better fit for me. Gotta wait and see how the feedback is on these new boards before i pull the trigger. Nev yout killing me with all the choices. I guess this is how chicks are with shoes. Gotta have them all.

Comment

jajaja pretty much Bumper!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X