X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'4" or 5'6" PN

I recently demoed a 5'6" PN, which i did not like at first, however after 3 amazing sessions in thigh high junk i have decided to potatonator instead of going with a spitfire. Its an amazing little board, and i want to make sure that i get the right size. Im 5'8", 170 lbs, int/adv, surf mostly in north carolina, 4-7 times/wk. With my 4\3 suit on, im pushing 180. I want it mostly for thigh to chest high waves... 504 or 506??

I'd say 5'6. The 5'4 would need more of a punchy wave to get going I reckon.

Comment

5'6"

Comment

i had the potatonator down in snc for the last two weeks... went so good in the lil nuggets off the pier

Comment

• GrindItFine
          GrindItFine commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been using a 6'3" hpsb to grovel with, and I was reluctant after the first sesh on the 5'6" PN, but it only took 2 more fun little sessions in junk before I knew I had to have one. Still reluctant on performance in stomach plus hollow waves.

i've taken in shoulder dredgers with howling offshores with a 5/4 7mm boots and 5mm gloves and it still went pretty well this past winter... gets in early... fat tail didn't fit in barrel that well so i got swallowed up a lot... i also had it out in chest barreling waves earlier this summer and got spit out of one of the best barrels i've had in a while.. go figure.. highly recommend it.. i do however have other firewires for better waves.. this one is my favorite right now

Comment

I'm not from the Carolinas but surfed there about a month ago borrowing a friend's board. I wish I had my PN with me because that board would have worked really well to get over all that chop from the wind. I also think 506 is a good call for you. - Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• GrindItFine
            GrindItFine commented
            Editing a comment
            Wind chop, welcome to NC!! I have a 5'6" on order and cannot wait for it to get here. I am assuming I will need a quad setup in order for the board to hold in hollower waves, and not slide all over the place. I plan on using the board as a knee groveler - chest high waves.. Mushy or hollow. My hpsb is a 6' x 18.75 x 2.38.. Which works amazing when we get swell and it goes offshore here, shoulder - OH range, which doesnt happen often. What is your recommendation for a quad setup? I have ZERO experience with quads. Thanks!

• Josh BL
            Josh BL commented
            Editing a comment
            I am currently running the Rastovich signature fins on my PN and love them. I've also heard really good reviews on the Controller quads - there's lots of talk about those fins on this forum. I think you'd have a great time with either of those. See if there is a Futures Fin Tree at a surf shop near you where you can demo fins for free. I always try to demo my fins before I buy them to make sure they're what I want.

- Firewire Intern Josh

• GrindItFine
            GrindItFine commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I have had my 5'6" PN for over a month now, and I am still finding it hard to take out in anything more than thigh-waist high mush. Even when it is a punchy waist high wave, I would rather have my hpsb. The PN just feels like SO much board that I cannot handle it, especially on any sort of ramp. If it is complete mush, the PN seems to go pretty well. I have had a few good knee-thigh high sessions on it, but it was really clean and mushy little lines. Maybe I should have went with a 5'4", or maybe just another small wave board altogether, maybe a 5'6" spitfire? Would a 5'4" PN handle a better shaped wave with a little more size a little better?

BTW, I am 170-175, 5'8", and consider myself an Intermediate surfer w/ the occasional shining moment.

stretch sf4 pc.. done

Comment

When the waves get bigger than waist high, I do not ride my PN anymore. That's about the point I transition to more of a hpsb. For waist and below, I find the PN to be excellent. Have you tried riding it as a thruster? If it's a punchier small wave that you're riding, the thruster setup might just be what you need. You'll get more hold from that center fin that way.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Grindit I'm your height and weight and also have had the PN 5'6 for a few weeks. I've had a completely different experience thou. I've been riding it as a quad with smaller trailers and bigger fronts and found it loose on mushier sections but (surprisingly) nice and locked into the face dropping into head-high closeout pitching/ barreling waves. If anything I found the board small and lighter (rather than too much board) than what I'm used to so that took a few sessions to adjust my back foot.
              I'm also interested to try the board as a thruster as a comparison. Right now I'm stoked on the set-up!

Comment

After having the 5'6" PN for around three months now, I wanted to share my experience. It took me a while to understand the shape of the PN, and what all that tail is there for, and why there is so little rocker through the entire board, but once I figured it out, the PN has taken me from a "grovel" status in thigh-stomach high waves to a "surfing" status. It is allowing me to link maneuvers that I wouldnt have dreamed of on my hpsb in small waves. For the past two months, I have almost exclusively surfed my PN, even on days that I probably should have been on my hpsb I have taken the hpsb out on a few different occasions in chest-head high steep waves, and honestly while I was out there I missed the PN! I still bury the nose on occasion in steeper waves, and the drop doesnt feel ideal sometimes, but it is getting better. Call me a firewire believer! I guess my next question is... What is the best hybrid I can get for stomach-head high waves?

Comment

Glad to hear you dialed in your PN GrindItFine. It's tricky at first, I agree, but super fun after that. Sounds like you're ready for a performance hybrid for those bigger days - check out the UB or CC.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X