X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soooo confused....

far out!!! i've put up probably 3 posts over the last few weeks asking board advice. I've narrowed down to a 2 board quiver that I want. Looking at either a MD or UNI and either a PN or V2 to complement it...

I want to get the small/average wave board 1st.

Until yesterday, I was about to pull the trigger on a V2 rocket. I was in the surf shop, then I saw a PNator... no where near as chunky as I was expecting. I won't be able to buy the 2nd board for at least another 6 months so want to make sure this board is going to get me through the summer (i'm australian).

My local beach break ranges normally from knee high mush, through to head high sucky barrells. Massive crowds, long boarders on the smaller days, and sometimes just a pain. Now I enjoy getting out on the smaller days, as often there will only be 2 or 3 guys out on the peak as opposed to 20-30 as normal (when above waist height).

I'm just shy of 100kg (220lb), 30 years old, 6'3", and average fitness. I think in the PN I would be looking at a 600 and the V2 rocket I'd be looking at a 602.

Should I just stick with my original decision and grab the V2? or will I have a better range on the PN?

Additionally, the guys in surf shops are morons... I had one telling me I need a 600 unibrow and the other saying a 606, the 1st one then reckons a mini driver is better for smaller waves and I should look at a 600 or maybe a 602. Then another recommended a 606 dominator to me... all for the same waves.... I've decided to ignore them completely as they are a bunch of twats that have no clue.

I really like the look of the v2 but I think the PN will have a better low end. You will find yourself taking the PN out on days that are crap and still have a few fun little ones. Then add the mini go smaller than you think with this if you are between a 600 and 602 go 600. I love my mini I just downsized from a 510 to 508 and the board rips. We have some nasty slabs here and the wee mind takes them on with no complaint. I plan to sell my 510 and get another 508 as a backup.

Comment

That's where I'm at pmorgan, love the look of the V2 and know it will be a great all rounder, but adding the MD I could look at a lower end board. But I don't want to be under or over gunned in the chest - head high range.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Chest to head and punchy the MD can be fun. It's a give controlled, carvey board though. Not so much snappy so it does like a bit of a line to work with.
        If its chest to head and mushy I've no doubt the PN would be all over that.
        I can't really comment on the V2. It's not one I've paid any attention to really. I imagine it being similar to a SF with a little more rocker.

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Chest to head and punchy the MD can be fun. It's a give controlled, carvey board though. Not so much snappy so it does like a bit of a line to work with.
        If its chest to head and mushy I've no doubt the PN would be all over that.
        I can't really comment on the V2. It's not one I've paid any attention to really. I imagine it being similar to a SF with a little more rocker.

i try not to surf anything below head high, but if i do, i surf the BP. its much more versatile in mushier conditions than the PN. that being said tho, if the waves r punchier, u might have to draw out ur turns a bit more and u lose all the "take off and go", but for the most part it handles head high+ conditions. i only bring it up cus ur a bigger guy. u can go down to 5'9 and maybe a 5'7 BP whereas on a PN ur looking at 6'0+. btw, sorry. that probably doesnt help if ur set on a PN
      Last edited by fokaiHI; 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Pnator will definitely give you a wider spectrum of waves to play with

Comment

I agree with Iggy, I surf my potatonator anything from knee to just overhead, doesn't mine a bit of juice, but gets a bit skatey when it gets sucky, I going for a Hellfire or maybe a Uni for those days. I'm on the Goldie my PN and BP both compete with the Mal brigade

Comment

wowee... giving me food for thought...

so, in regards to the PN, what fins are people running on them? Looking at the boards shape, I imagine futures controllers would go really well, possibly the Mayhem MB2 quad.

I currently have SF4's, JC1 Blackstix, and a deviant fin.

cheers,

Justo

Comment

I run mine with stretch performance core quad set. Currently as a thruster I use fcs M5 Ul epoxy with the deviant fin in the rear. I really like this set at the mo. it keeps you in the pocket more.

Comment

• justo
                justo commented
                Editing a comment
                What weight are you and what size PN are you on? I think I'm between a 510 and 600. Volume calculator puts me on a 602/604.

Also, what wave range do you use it in? I'm looking for knee/thigh up to just over head.

• pmorgan
                pmorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I am 150 lbs and 5"7 tall. I ride a 504 PN in anything from waste to head if the wave is not optimal you know a bit full lazy choppy not necessarily weak. I run my sub Scorcher and mini driver as my daly drivers both 508. I recently got a BP in a 501 and am very surprised how good this board surfs. I have surfed it in head high beach break and it went insane but not as good as the PN. The PN is more like a short short board squashed further . Think Dumster diver after a head on crash.

I haven't seen a V2 in person but I am beyond stoked with my 506 Potatonator for waist to a head high waves. It is just so easy and generate speed in small surf and I feel like I am getting several extra turns out of every wave. I don't think I have ever more fun surfing than i have in last 6 months with board. I have 601 HZ that I also love when it gets to be overhead but the Potatonator is here to stay in my opinion. If you are looking for a board for 2-4ft range the Potatonator is perfect. If you want something more for 1-3ft than the BP is it but I have surfed the PN is 1-3ft waves and still had a blast.

On a side note the Unibrow would be a sick step up. I demoed a 509 Uni and 510 Chubby earlier this year and feel in love the 509 unibrow. I don't have the need or $ for a Unibrow but give it a seriously look after you get the small range covered.

Comment

Just...O read your post and then went off and read a few other threads in which you seem happy to give out advice to others on which board to choose. Go to page 3 of the potatonator threads. Then read through the "potatonator small wave assassinator" thread I started. Its full of good info and fin recommendations.

Comment

You're right cuttlefish. When it comes to the potatoes, elfs, doms etc i know the boards and volumes well. But V2s and PNs I'm kinda clueless. Never surfed them. I know for an all around board I need to multiply my weight by .39 to get the volume right. Puts me on a 39L board at my current weight. At 90kg I rode a 600 spitfire (35L). So small waves slightly more, big waves slightly less.

Comment

Ok. Pnator it is. Just need to decide on size. 600 or 602......

Comment

Working...
                    X