X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patatonator: maximum wave size

I have almost made up my mind to get myself a Patatonator either a 6'0 or 6'2 , I just want that extra volume for paddling.Living on the Gold Coast the average size waves are 2-3 F, however I would like to know if the points fire up could it handle 4-6 Foot. any advice would be welcomed. Also thruster or Quad? I have never ridden a quad.

I'm watching this one.

Comment

Hey Gary, I ride a 6.0 PN @ 92KG and almost 52 years of young. I surf the goldy and love my PN up to maybe 4ft (Quad setup Stretchs) I'm actually looking at getting a hellfire or maybe Uni for when it get sucky. I the waves were full I would say it could handle 4-5 but it's starting to require some nursing. Hope this helps

Comment

What are your dims

Comment

I'm 50 YO 5'11 about 78 -80 k's reasonable fitness. Not the most powerful paddler. I'm riding a 6'5 activator at the moment, however I would like to come down in length but keep my volume and paddle.

Also is it really worth paying the extra $200 for the "FS" or should I get a "Rapid "Fire and put that money towards a good set of fins. I know the FS are stronger, however performance wise is there any difference? It's doing my head in a bit the thought of paying over a grand for a surfboard.
          Last edited by Gary H; 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Gary, I have both FST and rapid fire. Rapidfire has a better feel to it, but will live a shorter life. I will now only buy FST for the durability. Besides, the feel is still excellent. Had both boards for 2 years, multiple repairs including a huge crease on the rapid fire, and NO repairs to the FST. When you start thinking repair dollars, the FST pays for itself in a couple of months.

Comment

Gary Your original question would it handle overhead plus at your weight even the 6.0 is a lot of volume IMHO and in good waves it going to feel like a boat and you will lose alot of performance. At 92kg the 6.0 is plenty for me and I only get to surf 1-2 times a week so my paddle fitness is nowhere near premium, If I was surfing 5 days a week I reckon I could go shorter. But it is all personal preference. I suggest demo one. I like the FST because of the strength but in saying that my RF has less depressions than my PN I like the slight extra weight in the FST when the swell has more power or a bit of chop. Hope this helps

Comment

Also I fing in good surf my PN a little differcult to duck dive deep enough, which is why I'm looking at a 6'4" HF or Uni alot easier to duck dive in bigger surf and I didn't find a great difference in the paddle

Comment

Gary H FST last longer. RF just feels fragile. As for waves, the Pnator was designed for waist to head high but you can push it to overhead. Also, it was designed to be ridden as a quad. SA Quad is a nice set. I found the best setup is to mix and match. ALOHA!!

Comment

Hi Guys , Just to let you know I went up the Sunny Coast for the Gold Coast show long weekend,thought it might be a tad quieter up there and getaway from the long weekend crowds, Anyway so no surf at all up there so the Missus and I decied to go for drive and she see's a garage sale and wants to have a look.Low and behold he's a 6"2 Patatonator Rapiid Fire (Bamboo deck) sitting there with $400 on it, I offer him $350 and the old fella says no worries its his sons board and been sitting in the shed for two years and they're moving to unit and wants it gone.Just a bit of a glass shatter in the rail but nothing to bad. The missus coughs up the cash for me .Happy days!

Also thanks to everyone for their advice on this post. I just have to wait for some swell to give it a run

Comment

Working...
                    X