Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator Questions

Hey guys,
    I am in the need for a new surfboard. I currently am riding a 6'6 quad retro fish and i am 6', 160 lbs. I am 15 and have been surfing seriously for 2 years. I usually surf 1 to 2 times a month and consider myself to be at the beginner/intermediate level. I want something slightly shorter with a more pulled in tail with close to the same volume as my fish. I primarily surf 2-3 foot waves but i need a board that will handle bigger 5-6 foot surf too. Last year i bought a new 5'8 dominator but I grew a ton since then and it is way too small for me know. So i traded that to my dad for his fish. The fish is great for catching a ton of waves but i loved the dominators turning ability and want something that will catch as many waves as my fish but turn like the dominator. I am thinking that a 6'0 PN would be a good choice but i have my doubts about how it would perform in more solid surf. Should i go with the PN or get a slightly bigger dominator?

Thanks

Hi Luke. I've been researching the PN for some time now and will get one soon. For you though, I think the DM would be a better board. 5-6' is out of the PNs comfort zone. If you just want a change, perhaps look at a spitfire or ...lost V2 rocket in FST.

Comment

I'd look at a 6'0 Unibrow

Comment

• lukep6262
        lukep6262 commented
        Editing a comment
        I want something with at least 38+ liters of volume for the small waves we have most of the time around here but i dont want to miss out on the 5 to 6 ft better formed waves that we get every now and then.

Hi Luke I would agree with the guys that in the 5' to6' range you are pushing the PN. The Uni or v2 might be a better option. I really love my PN in shoulder to head with a pit of juice but think the pulled in tail of the v2 would be better.

Comment

Do you think that i would lose more on the small wave end with a 602 dom or more on the large end with a 600 pn?

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          Neither is great for larger waves. Potatonator has a slight better bottom end than the Dom but both are too chunky for larger conditions.

• lukep6262
          lukep6262 commented
          Editing a comment
          Would a v2 be better than a dom All around?

I personally have no experience with the V2. But based on what I've seen and read of it, it sounds like it would be a more versatile option.

Comment

I think i am leaning toward the potatonator because i have only surfed once in waves too big or hollow for a potatonator but i surf in small waves a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X