X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator Size

Hi looking at Potatonator. Surfing 20 years 100kg 46yr average surfer currently using 6 10 surftech soulfish approx 45L. Surfing mainly mushy waves in UK upto head high and a bit. Want something with more volume and paddles well but still short (not into longboards) getting older and in the water less. Looking at 6'8" volume calculator agrees!! Anyone surfed 6'8" most reviews etc are sub 6ft potatonators demo boards all very short. Could a 6'8" be too big? What about the other boards? Any advise appreciated Thanks

Hey Trotski, I would say the 6'8 would be way big I'm 93kg at the moment 52yrs and only surf weekends and I'm on a 6.0 at 40l I would be thinking 6'2 or 6'4 depending on how you find the 45l in your fish

Comment

If you want more length than a 602 you should look at an addvance in a 610. The 608 PN is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too big.

Comment

For a comparison I am 45yrs / 95kg and on the 5'8" - could probably go the 5'10". I bought it for more short board surfing in small waves but if you want to cruise a little I'd also recommend 6"0 - 6'4"

Comment

The Potato series are wide, flat, and thick boards. They play with the shape of a surfboard by allowing the surfer to surf a board much shorter than they are accustomed to. That being said, you could ride a 6'0 in this board. I agree with justo's advice on this one though...If the volume calc is telling you 608 for a PN, then you might be looking at the wrong board and an Addvance may be more up your alley.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Since you're used the 45 litre Soul fish I'd be looking at the 6'4" or 6'6". I've had both the 6'2" and 6'4" (50 yrs old, 6'1" and 92-95 kgs.) The 6'2" felt perfect for me. Curiousity did get the better of me and I got a 6'4" to get a slightly longer rail line because I was riding my potatonator in larger waves than It was designed for. Couldn't help myself....loved it too much. But at my weight the 6'4" had too much volume and I lost the feel I was getting out of the 6'2". It wasn't long until I sold the 6'4" and cursed myself or selling the 6'2". The potatonator paddles phenomenally well. Gets into waves so easily so you can go shorter than you'd think. The Sunshine coast's waves are also more gutless than other East coast of Australia's gutless waves so a little extra foam helps. If you wanted a fishy ride still then the 6'6" addvance would work well as a shortboard for you. i've had one of those as well. Only a litre difference inbetween a potatonator 6'4" and an addvance 6'6". 47 and 48 litres respectively. The potatonator is a hybrid/shortboard ride. I've done carves on that board which I still replay in my head.

Comment

Hi thanks for all your info. Had a look at the 6 10 advance and I think it will do the job as the extra volume will help with weight of winter suit boots and gloves. Will try to demo a smaller pn later thanks

Comment

• reserves
                reserves commented
                Editing a comment
                You're welcome to try mine, where about's are you in the UK?

Hi reserves I'm in south east cornwall. Are you looking to sell yours? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                Since you're used the 45 litre Soul fish I'd be looking at the 6'4" or 6'6". I've had both the 6'2" and 6'4" (50 yrs old, 6'1" and 92-95 kgs.) The 6'2" felt perfect for me. Curiousity did get the better of me and I got a 6'4" to get a slightly longer rail line because I was riding my potatonator in larger waves than It was designed for. Couldn't help myself....loved it too much. But at my weight the 6'4" had too much volume and I lost the feel I was getting out of the 6'2". It wasn't long until I sold the 6'4" and cursed myself or selling the 6'2". The potatonator paddles phenomenally well. Gets into waves so easily so you can go shorter than you'd think. The Sunshine coast's waves are also more gutless than other East coast of Australia's gutless waves so a little extra foam helps. If you wanted a fishy ride still then the 6'6" addvance would work well as a shortboard for you. i've had one of those as well. Only a litre difference inbetween a potatonator 6'4" and an addvance 6'6". 47 and 48 litres respectively. The potatonator is a hybrid/shortboard ride. I've done carves on that board which I still replay in my head.
                that's what im in the process of looking at now...6'6 advance vs. 6'6 potatonator....I would really appreciate hearing all your thoughts on the differences between the 2 rides...home break is waist high mushy Texas but will travel with to costa rica for some head waist to head high beach break juice...love to hear the vs. on wave catching , how it surfs good waves/bad waves..ect...

thanks

Comment

Hi all I was about to splash the cash and buy a 6 10 advance. This weekend I met 4 people who have or had firewires all were concerned with build quality. 1 x had snapped 2 x fin box problems, all thought good shapes, nice and light but none would buy a firewire again! That's a pretty bad customer survey! Are there issues with quality?

Comment

• Phill
                    Phill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Between myself and my immediate group of friends we've owned close to 20 different Firewire boards. I've only seen an issue with one of those where the deck caved in on an FST board. Firewire were proactive with their customer service and gave my friend the option to choose any board off the rack in our local dealer which they then replaced as they had no direct replacement in inventory and we were going on a trip in the next few days for which he needed a replacement shortboard.
                    I have heard of others having issues and it's often down to small cracks and dings taking on water and breaking down the EPS and the bond in the sandwich construction which compromises the strength. In most cases where no 'user error' is apparently Firewire are excellent at standing behind the product and replacing faulty boards.

I'm an absolute lead foot and find the decks of all the rapid fire boards have only had minimal heel denting and foot wells. The fst get smaller heel dents and resist gaining any kind of foot wells. Much better than poly boards for me. Most of my poly boards look like I have attacked them with a ball peen hammer. Never snapped a Firewire. Bet there's bugger all addvances that have ever been snapped and they have plenty of thickness to help in that regard.

Comment

been riding them for about ten years now.. no major issues.. turned couple brothers/friends on to them as well.. no issues

Comment

I creased one and firewire came to the party right away. Excellent customer support. Now they're the only boards I'll buy.

Comment

Glad to hear you guys are stoked on your Firewires!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Regarding the addvance 6 10 I'm not sure it's the right board. Surfing small to overhead beach breaks. UK.AS above I have surfed for 20 years although older 46 and fatter 100kg I want more volume around 50L. I don't want a learner fun board which I think this maybe any other suggestions. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X