Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pnator size and fins

Hey guys,
    I have decided that i want a potatonator after looking at tons of boards at surf shops and on the internet i like the potatonator the best. I am 6' and range btw 160 to 170 lbs and am 15 so im still growing some. Mainly surf at wrightsville beach in north Carolina and need an everyday board that can handle 1 to 5 or 6 foot waves of all types. 90% of the time though i will be surfing under waist high mushy waves. I have a 606 retro fish and used to have a 508 dominator but my dad is riding it now because it is too small. i cant decide whether i want a 600 or a 602 pn. I also would also like to know what fins everyone is riding on thier pns.
    Thanks

What was it about the 508 dominator that felt too small? Catching waves or riding them? 31L to 40/44L is a huge increase in volume to be considering.

Comment

At your height and weight, you should be looking at a PN closer to 504 or 506. 600 is going to feel like a boat. Due to its distribution of volume throughout the board, the PN allows the rider to go much shorter than his/ her standard shortboard.

As far as fins go, each fin will work differently for everyone. Are you going with Futures or FCS? If Futures, I always recommend you go to a surf shop that has a Futures Fin Tree where you can demo the fins you are interested in before making the purchase.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

I can ride the dom but it is just way too small to catch waves on. I love my 606 retro fish that i am riding now but i want something that i can turn easier but still catch a ton of waves. I am a lower intermediate level surfer if that helps. Also i will be getting fst so i need fcs fins.

Comment

i'd go 5'6 or 5'8 depending on how much u will fill out being that you're pretty young still.. i'm on the 5'6 at 160 165 ish.. but ride with rubber on most the year being up in ny.. i've surfed my potatonator down on topsail and it was the perfect board.. ripped the bag... as far as fins stretch sf4's in pc done

Comment

Yea i just would much rather have it be a little big because $700+ is a lot to spend and i already made that mistake once. But i am going to demo a 506 in a few weeks because thats the only demo pn i could find so il see how that goes.

Comment

If you are going that small, save the $700 by getting your board back from your dad. Remember that a 506 PN has less volume than the 508 Dom. I'd suggest a 508 considering everything you have said. I'm the same size as you (but 51), solid intermediate and am happy with the ease of catching waves with my 510 PN. Also, just because it's FST doesn't mean that you can't get Futures.

Comment

Oh im still looking at a 600 but a 506 is the only demo i could find around here so i figured id try it to see how the board feels. I have never seen futures on a fst but all the rest of myboards are fcs so i will get that. T

Comment

i had a 5'8 dominator and the 5'6 potatonator paddles much better then the bigger dom at less volume.. was thinking the same thing about going more volume then my dom but chris advised me to grab the 5'6.. perfect advice as i would have been way overvolumed on the 5'8.. 5'6 is money

Comment

Yea but i am really coming off a 606 fish i just ride the dom in really good waves

Comment

Working...
                    X