X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume higher or lower

Considering getting a Potatonator for summer slop/crumble and undecided between 6'2" and 6'4". Happy with my 6'4" Spitfire but my son has "borrowed" it. My other Firewires are all in the 41 to 42 litre volumes so what do all you Potato-heads reckon go high end or lower end of volume???? I have always liked a slightly thicker board than required and find that this is more of an issue as the years advance. Volume calculator puts me at 38 to 44.

I don't trust the volume calculator. It puts me in the same range as you (unless I lie) and I'm on a 5'10 PN. I'm 50+, about 6' 175 and surf once a week if lucky.

​I'd suggest that you stay close to the Spitfire volume if you were happy with it. Any chance you can try one before you buy? I demo'd a 5'9 baked and, although I could catch anything, I could tell it was too much when I got going. I tried a 6'0 PN on a real small day and knew it wasn't for me.

Recently picked up a used 5'8 PN for my son that I've ridden a couple times now and I think I might like that size better when the waves have some juice.

Comment

I had a BP in 5'9" couldn't catch a cold on it - tried for a solid month so flicked it for a Spitfire in 6'4". So thinking 6'2" Potatonator. I recently had an Al Merrick Biscuit in 6'3" and 27/8 thick so well above 44 litres and loved it. In small stuff I really enjoy a slab of foam. The BP experience put me off going really small .......... The 6' is same as over boards so maybe that is the answer....

Comment

6'2".
        Had both sizes.
        If you get it with Futures...AMT CI twins (Robbers) with a small trailer centre fin are great.

Comment

I think you are on the money Cuttlefish. I am a convert to futures in the last year or so. So you ride yours with twins and a knubster rear or a really small rear? Interesting idea! Although I don't know if my back will stand up to the sliding of a twinnie set up.

Comment

Don't worry, it doesn't slide. Loose but with a tonne of drive.
            I'm a quad nut but the potatonator simply felt better for me as a thruster despite going through a plethora of quad options from mild to wild.
            I used an SB1 which is a longboard sidebiter in the thruster plug.
            Also liked it with Blackstix EA's as a full thruster.
            The 6'2" was one of the best paddling shorties I've ever owned. I eventually figured I'd try a 6'4" because I found myself loving the potatonator so much I was surfing it in waves larger than it was designed for and looking for a little bit more rail in the water.
            The 6'4" didn't have anything like the feel I was getting from the 6'2". Too much foam.

Comment

Jambo, I had a 6'0 PN but sold it. I wanted a little more foam under me. Looking for a 6'2" in the near future. I'm also looking at a 5'11" BP since I got a 6'0" SP but want a little more performance. Funny thing, I'm keeping an eye out for a Biscuit too. Though not designed for it, I feel riding a bigger groveler opens up in bigger surf.

Comment

I rode the Biscuit in most conditions up to 5 foot or so but only mushy or swell from wrong direction so it was slower. The slab of foam idea is good when tide is high, waves are slowly wrapping across reef etc. A slab of foam is king in cutback city or ankle slapper town. So hopefully this 6'2" Potatonator will do the trick. I have seen 6' and 6'4" (way too much foam unless you are super-sized. I'll let you know when it arrives!

Comment

Working...
                X