Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the chance today to put the Pnator, Sweet P & the Hypto thru some really fast punchy east swell this morning. Here is my opinion on the boards in 3-4 foot sucky and rippy waves. A few barrels to be had if you wanted to pull in!!!

Potatonator 6 2 (quad set up - AM2 fronts/Anderson SA4 rears) - Positives was once it got going it was actually really fast and it liked open faces a lot like the SP. Not many of those but it's really nice to get the board on rail. My preference would be to run this as a quad and perhaps with AM Robbers and trailer. Negatives, to much volume in the tail and doesn't handle the hollow and late drops. I basically find the sweet spot is surfing off the tail due to that volume placement.

Hayden Shapes Hypto Krypto 6 2 (quad set up - AM2 fronts/Anderson SA4 rears) - Positives it was really a lot easier to paddle than the PN and was similar to the SP. Extrememly fast and handled the hollow waves better, much more control with a pulled in tail. Flex was different and found it whipped a little more than the PN. I think you could actually ride this in solid 6 foot easily. Sweet spot was more front foot for me.

Jury is still out and perhaps I get the old hand saw out and make the PN a chop tail haha

Comment

SP I took out on the high tide this arvo and I still love this gem! Until shark alarm went off :(

Comment

YIKES!!! sharks don't like potatoes...they prefer burgers...

Comment

Curious...is the hypto a pu or a fibreflex?
          Any idea of its litreage?
          What size is your sp?

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
            Curious...is the hypto a pu or a fibreflex?
            Any idea of its litreage?
            What size is your sp?
            Hypto is FibreFlex... Sorry I should have mentioned that the other day so we are comparing apples with apples.

I think its about 42 litres from my rough board cad calculations. My SP is 43 litres. I find for big guys like me, quads or twins (I actually like your set up of the twin fin and stab) are perfect. I need as much speed I can get, with as little compromise on control.

Ill be completely honest and say that I think the SP has corupted my mind and that I cant do boards over 6ft now!!! haha. Its just to easy to whip out the SP and ride it in ALL conditions. If I lived by a firing uncrowded point, then yes I would get a 6ft+ board for when the waves are really good! But when that odd occasion happens, Im happy not to surf (Im over crowded beachies, party waves and guys just burning each other). Would rather surf fun little 3-4 footers on my SP, than jock for position in hope I get a sick wave.

SP is hands down the most fun board Ive ever owned :)

Comment

Wow! That is a pretty darn good review for the SP. Loving how stoked you are about the SP.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_bro View Post
                Hypto is FibreFlex... Sorry I should have mentioned that the other day so we are comparing apples with apples.

I think its about 42 litres from my rough board cad calculations. My SP is 43 litres. I find for big guys like me, quads or twins (I actually like your set up of the twin fin and stab) are perfect. I need as much speed I can get, with as little compromise on control.

Ill be completely honest and say that I think the SP has corupted my mind and that I cant do boards over 6ft now!!! haha. Its just to easy to whip out the SP and ride it in ALL conditions. If I lived by a firing uncrowded point, then yes I would get a 6ft+ board for when the waves are really good! But when that odd occasion happens, Im happy not to surf (Im over crowded beachies, party waves and guys just burning each other). Would rather surf fun little 3-4 footers on my SP, than jock for position in hope I get a sick wave.

SP is hands down the most fun board Ive ever owned :)
                That's exactly what I like about it!!! you can whip it with not much effort and since it's so small, fits on every single pocket. Once the fins engage off she goes

Comment

yessir!!! good stuff!!! I do have to say, though, once the wave gets a little taller, it can be hard to blast a lip in a critical section due to the flatness. but, hey when the waves get good enough that this type of thing happens, chances are you will grab a different board.

Cheers

Comment

i hear ya CC, Im frothing for a Baked Potato with butter and sour cream haha. No I cant wait to get one but if i ride a 5 8 SP, what do I get in a BP?

Comment

Hi Bigblackdog. I am in a similar position ie replacing mu 6 10 soulfish with a firewire. I have been looking down th Addvance or Dom path. Please let me know what you decide to do.

Comment

Hi Terry, spent last week at the beach messing around with fins. Tried the AM Robber fins in the soul fish and it was a big improvement on the stock fins. Has a lot more drive when paddling and seemed much more responsive on the wave. Also dropped some AM 2 fins into my old 606 McCoy nugget ( had fcs plugs put in after glassed on fins warped ) . What a big improvement they made.
                        Also had a paddle on a 506 sweet potato. Found that even though it has more volume than my 606 MR supertwin (Tuflite) it sat in the water more like a glass board and had a lot less float than th MR.
                        If I go down the path of a sweet potato think it will need to be a 508, however I am now back to considering the Potatonator. I found the stumpy nose of the sweet potato a little awkward when paddling out. Swell was tiny so hard to assess the ride of the board but I struggled with the length.
                        The 606 advance has more volume than the Soul Fish so for me not the way to go. The soul fish is 45 l and at that volume is very corky.
                        At this rate I will be in a nursing home by the time I make a decision
                        Last edited by Bigblackdog; 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Bigblackdog. I too am similarly confused and change my mind al most hourly. Good luck with thr search and let me know how it goes.

Comment

jonbro and crew, i would suggest, in almost every case, that you ride the baked potato 1 inch longer than your sweet potato!!

Comment

Have finally made a decision after much procrastination and ordered a 6' Potatonator.
                              Look forward to seeing how it goes?
                              Board has arrived along with a few weeks of solid work so won't be getting near the water for a few weeks. Looks like a great shape though. Will post back when it gets a test run.
                              Last edited by Bigblackdog; 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Finally a day off with a few waves around. First impression paddling out this morning was that the board paddles well, perhaps not a rocket but as the shortest board I have owned was good to go.
                                The first few waves gave me the feeling that I was going slow so made a real effort to get that back foot more to the rear and stepped off the back. Having a few issues adjusting to the 6 foot board but really enjoyed the morning. Need another session or two to sort myself out on it but really happy with the Potatonator.
                                Can see this board being a favorite. Can't wait to get it back in the water and muck around with some different fins.

Comment

Working...
                                X