X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator or sweet potato

I have been using Tuflite boards for some time. I am 6'1" , 76 kg, 51 yo. Consider myself intermediate but age is slowing things down.
    The surf that I get out in now is mostly mushy and small. My go to board at the moment is a 6'10" surf tech soul fish which has plenty of volume and paddles well.
    Looking at getting a potato-nator, and using the volume guide it would suggest that a 5'10 is on the money. Little hesitant as losing a foot of board seems daunting. If I went to a sweet potato then it drops to 5'6".
    What is the consensus on this. I don't really want the board to be too corky .
    My other tufllites are a 6'6" MR supertwin and a 6'8" Byrne easy rider. They are out the door to be replaced by one or two Firewires.

I will require adjustment for sure, nothing more than a couple of waves to get the board dialled.
    Why did you choose the Potatonator?.
    Have you taken a look at the spitfire? It will give you the equivalent volume with and added rail length and she's a really fun performer from the top of the small conditions and up
    The 6'2" Stealth is an often forgotten model for mid range waves

Comment

Hi,
      looking at the specs for the 6'8" easyrider you've got an 11.75 nose, width 19.75 and tail 14.5 with 2.75 thickness and 42 litres.
      Then the MR 6'6" with an 12.25 nose, width 20 and tail 15.125 and 2.75 thickness with 34.2 litres.
      Which do you prefer out of these two?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Iggy. The main reason for looking at the Potatonator is the strength of surf that I send most of my time in. Of all my boards the 'soul fish' is best suited and the other two tufllites are just too slow with me on them.
        I have looked at the spitfire as more of a performance board later on. I also have a 6'6" McCoy nugget that goes ok but my eldest daughter now uses that and that is a good enough excuse to justify another board.
        Surfed them all in Sumatra last year and the most comfortable was still the soul fish.

Comment

Hi cuttlefish, I probably lean towards the easy rider but don't struggle to paddle the MR. Suspect that the wider tail probably assists.

Comment

I say go the SP! Very similar nose to the Soul Fish but way shorter board. I just got me a Potatonator and find even tho it has more vol than my SP its not as easy to paddle IMHO. I'm using a mates Hypto Krypto this weekend and will compare it next to the Potatonator and give an indepth review. :)

Comment

Would be really interested to hear how it compares to the hypto krypto as that was one of he boards I had considered.

Comment

hey big black dog,
                what kind of waves are you looking to surf the board in? That would have a major influence on what board I would suggest...

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Chris, the waves that I want this board for are generally fat and slow. Is a beach that gets labeled as dribbleton.
                  Thanks for the helpful and informative forum.
                  Still leaning towards the 510 or 600 Potatonator but very open to advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblackdog View Post
                    Hi Chris, the waves that I want this board for are generally fat and slow. Is a beach that gets labeled as dribbleton.
                    Thanks for the helpful and informative forum.
                    Still leaning towards the 510 or 600 Potatonator but very open to advice.
                    NB got a little 3-4 foot E swell in last night and this morn, and I had the SP (Out in the arvi) PN (Out in the morn). The session I had last night was sick, it was sucky and punchy but mostly closing out but the SP just punched down the line so fast I could make the sections, and throw a few turns on the face. However, the PN this morning, and I must admit the waves were even better but just found it didnt have the WOW factor. Im heading out this arvi with some mates (and I will be testing the Hypto Kyrpto (6 2 x 21 x 2 3/4) and it better perform, or else Im riding my SP when its 6ft! lol

Will keep you posted :)

Comment

It's all in your head Jon_bro...:-)
                      What fins are you running in the p'nator?

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                        It's all in your head Jon_bro...:-)
                        What fins are you running in the p'nator?
                        Perhaps it is :)

I didn't like the dominator and now the Potatonator. I have run both boards as thrusters and quads but they both do better as quads IMHO. I ran them both with AM2 Techflex (futures) but found The quad set up worked better for me Cuttlefish :). I just wish it was more the SP nose with the Dom tail!!!

I only had a quick dabble on the Hypto Kypto but found really great. Looks like an old take on a retro single but with a thruster/quad set up. I'm frothing to get out in the morn with conditions looking real good.

My friend rode the PN but found it had to much foam and the rocker really flat for a board over 6ft haha.

The saga continues...

Comment

Sounds like you better put in a pre-order for a Baked potato. The dominator didn't light my fire either but I love the p'nator.
                          We're all different.
                          I had a blast riding the spud in 3-4' point waves today.
                          Haven't found it's upper limits and the extra rail in my 6'er definitely helps there.

Comment

Sounds like you better put in a pre-order for a Baked potato. The dominator didn't light my fire either but I love the p'nator.
                            We're all different.
                            I had a blast riding the spud in 3-4' point waves today.
                            Haven't found it's upper limits and the extra rail in my 6'er definitely helps there.

Comment

Think I am going to go for the sweet potato, and then think about a spitfire for those better days. My worry is that the recommended 5'6" is going to be on the short side in the sweet spud.
                              The Potatonator is probably just having a bet each way and I want to get a bit out of my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X