X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size & info on Potatonator

Hi all, looking at getting a 6'2 or 6'4 potatonator to take over as my groveller from a 5'10 sp & wanted to draw on the collective knowledge of this forum! My sp is great in the right waves but feels heavy & a bit unresponsive at times, I compared the 5'10sp to the 5'8 sp & the 5'10 just feels heaps bulkier, I'm wondering if the 6'4 potatonator feels the same compared to the 6'2? I'm currently 87kg, 6ft & of average fitness for my age 54yy! Any assistance or insight would be most welcome! Thanks in advance for this great forum.

Have you read the "Potatonator small wave assisinator" thread? Start at page 1 for my stats and reasoning behind buying one.
    I have a 6'2" potatonator and a 5'8" sp now but test rode the 5'10" and owned the 6' sp before changing to the 5'8".
    I'd go for the 6'2" because it paddles very, very well.
    Catching waves on it is a non-issue and trust me I've had plenty of boards that failed miserably at catching waves.
    Lol!

Comment

Cuttlefish, is there a noticeable bottom end difference between the Potstonator and SP?

Comment

Thanks Cuttlefish thats some wicked post! Can't wait to get my hands on my very own Potatonator. 6'2 sounds about right so I have ordered one from the local dealer down here! Have to wait till June sometime...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Just another question if I may, in one of your photos the pnator is next to a sp & the comment was made that it looks like a spit. Is the pnator wider or narrower (tail, mid-point & nose) than a spit of the same size? Keep waiting for the pnator to appear on the compare board chart but it not there yet!

Comment

Hey grumbly, what kind of waves wi you be headed out in?

I do agree though with the suggestions from folks that you are likely going to prefer the 602 espscially if your 510 sweet potato felt a little too big!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Hey grumbly, what kind of waves wi you be headed out in?

I do agree though with the suggestions from folks that you are likely going to prefer the 602 espscially if your 510 sweet potato felt a little too big!!!
            Hi Chris,

Only Grumbly when there are no waves about! Basically want the potatonator to take over from the spud plus fly when the waves get a bit steeper & hollower! I guess waves from 1-2' through to 4' when my spit or Hellfire can take over!

Comment

It'll do it.
              Handles hollow waves much, much better than the sp.
              Easier takeoffs (v in the nose helps) and doesn't have the crazy wide tail of the sp so more control.
              It's still very fast with its flat rocker so not so easy to stall but backdoors are a cinch.
              I can ride my p'nator in small stuff no problems but the sp is better in fuller/high tide small stuff whereas the p'nator likes the mid/lower tide range.
              As I said on one post on the other thread I was out paddling around on the p'nator in knee high stuff and only the longboarders were able to go anywhere but as the tide dropped a little suddenly I was able to find some little walls to ride that weren't just filling up.
              Instant fun.

Comment

Thanks Cuttlefish thats just what I wanted to hear!

Guess that answers Buzzys good question as well re bottom end difference between the pnator & spud!

Now all I have to do is find myself some patience & wait for my new best friend to arrive!

Not easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Comment

Yeeeeewwww

Comment

thanks for the advice all!! Good stuff!

Comment

Hi everyone. Don't know if this will help with surfgumby's answers but I have a 510 PN that I chose by volume. The litreage was very important in my chose of size and payed off. Before that I was test riding SP's 506 and 508 that a couple of mates have. I found that the 508 was to bouyant for me at 40 odd Lt's where the 506 (around 38Lts) was better. The board I was riding before the PN I bought, was around 29Lts 6'2" x 20" x 2 9/16 (unknown brand made in Japan) and was a bit of a brick and needed a nice size hollow wave to get going.
                      I'll try and post some pick's soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X