Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatonator, replace Sweet Potato & Spitfire ?

What size should I get if I wantet to replace a 5'4 Sweet Potato and 5'8 Spitfire ? And would it be the same size if I was to keep them both and just add a Potatonator ?

The thing about the sweet potato is that it work great in small waves or waves that are really soft... the spifire works great once the waves have a bit more punch in them, would probably work better in weak surf if I had the 5'10. This winter have been a mix of good and bad surf, and quite a lot of onshore wind.... and I've ended up using the Sweet Potato more than I would like to. Been thinking about going back to a 2 board quiver, and that my Alternator and a Potatornator would be a good combo (maybe swap the alternator for somthing else as well).

The 5'8 Potatonator would have plenty of volume, but if I wantet it to perform as good as the Sweet Potato should I go for the 5'10 (almost same volume as my 5'4 SP) ? Or maybe it's a bit like the Sweet Potato, and does not work well if you go too big ?

what do you think ?

Imo definitely I think for a good surfer the pnator can definitely work in knee to thigh waves. I think for an intermediate the sp is still very helpful in that wave range and the Dom/spit helps the same level surfer become a more advanced rider in good chest to head+ surf. I know both boards have really improved my surfing tremendously so much so that In good waves my level has improved to intermediate/advanced. But If I could only have two boards in my quiver I would keep the pnator and hellfire. Right now the pnator covers me in fun thigh high to chest . Hf takes over of its a solid chest high swell. I'm still a huge fan of both my Dom and sp and both have a place in my quiver. However If push came to shove I could survive quite well with the pnator and hf. I think with more time and progression I could see myself surfing the pnator in knee to thigh junk. Right now the sp still helps me surf those conditions well.

Comment

I'd go 508 PN at the most Erling. Sounds like a sensible quiver adjustment if you want to scale down. Bet you end up buying something else though, that's what I always end up doing...

Comment

I was thinking of get rid of my potato as well and maybe getting a potatonator. Too early to tell as I want to surf that potato a little more.

Comment

Bumper: how much do you weigh and what size are your boards ?

prjwebb: Hard to find the perfect quiver.... if there only could be more waves so I could stop thinking of all the new boards I want ;) ... you've sold the Sub scorcher and got a new Mini-diver on the way ?
          was thinking of selling my alternator as well... I don't like how easy the RF get dings... I surf a lot of rocky points where it's quite easy to ding the board on the way in or out, so I prefer FST. Do you think the Mini-driver could be a good replacement or should I look at the hellfire/hellrazor, or maybe even a new alternator.... 6'2 with pintail maybe.... ?

Hwork50: with summer and a lot of crappy waves on the way the SP will be good to have... I won't change my quiver yet, at fall maybe, the potatonator haven't hit Europe yet anyway. Just ordered a new set of fins for the SP: Info fins: Controllers, with FCS tabs... hope they give the board even more speed and drive in really crappy waves :)

Comment

Yeah Sub is gone, Mini on the way. If you can wait until September time I'll post some feedback once I get it. I think it'll cover a lot of conditions though.
            Almost got a HZ, they look real fun too.

Comment

Between 180 and 185. I'm riding the 6'0. It seems fine. I ride a 6'2 dom. To me the pnator can definietly grovel even here in nj. I go out in anything so the sp helps out but if u surf waves with more size and consistency the pnator will def be your small to medium eave board. I had a great session a couple of weeks ago in thigh to waist punchy groundswell. The board went unbelievably well and it was only my second session for that matter. If I had to keep two boards it would be my pnator and hf no doubt and I would actually be fine with only the two. If something happened to my Dom or sp I problably wouldn't replace either board. Hope I don't have to go down that road though.

Comment

Working...
              X