X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator v Sweet Potato.

I would really appreciate someone who has ridden both boards extensively giving an honest appraisal of both boards. I have owned 2 Sweet Potatoes and am thinking of getting a Potatonator but cant find one to demo so am relying on some honest feedback, both positive and negative. I would be looking at a 5'8 or 5'10 Potatonator and my Spuds were 5'4 then 5'6. Me 41, intermediate to good on my day and 85kgs or about 185lbs. Looking for how they turn, paddle, drive, etc etc. Thanks !!

If you get desperate you can come down to Sydney and have a go of my 5'8" and bring the large Simon's with you!

I've only ridden the Potatonator once in SP waves but I can tell you this...the SP made me surf with a more "Retro" approach long arching turns etc - loved it!
    The Potatonator allows me to just about surf how I normally would.

let me know if you want a go!

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
      If you get desperate you can come down to Sydney and have a go of my 5'8" and bring the large Simon's with you!

I've only ridden the Potatonator once in SP waves but I can tell you this...the SP made me surf with a more "Retro" approach long arching turns etc - loved it!
      The Potatonator allows me to just about surf how I normally would.

let me know if you want a go!
      Hey just saw this post..I have ridden the 5'8 and maybe that is the go but....just a bit nervous that it wont be enough foam for the small stuff I want to surf it in. Very generous offer, thanks champ. I loved the SP but I found it had its cons as well as pros. You have essentially answered my question re the PN..I want a board that surfs more like a regular board. How did you find it paddled on to the wave compared to SP. The PN has a significantly pulled in nose and my feeling was it didnt paddle in as well as the SP.

Comment

it doesn't paddle as easy as the 5'8" SP - which is understandable - you can't have everything I guess!
        lovin it so far though.

also - are you selling the large Simon's - I tried to keep it off the forum but couldn't send you a private message.

Comment

Hey Goanna, I might be. Trying to find a 5'10 in FCS. Got one in Futures but that means I cant use the FCS Simons. I will have to buy a set of Futures...not sure how to PM you but shoot me an email on [email protected] and we can discuss. By the way did you get RF or FST? Cheers.

Comment

I have a 6'0 pnator and 5'8 sp. The pnator rides more like the dominator than the SP but it can handle the knee to thigh high wave or weaker waist to belly wave like the SP. Its not going to float or drive down the line in knee to thigh high waves like the SP does especially in high tide slow junk. If the waves have a little punch I take out th PNATOR. If the waves are small and slow (longboard type waves) i pull out the SP. I think it depends on your break, ability level and quiver. If you can surf small waves on a dominator/spitfire then go with the SP for the really small/slow days. If you struggle to surf small waves on a dom/spit like me go with the PNATOR. It's been a terrific board for me in thigh to stomach waves of all types. I think its a bit more versatile than the SP but obvisouly it won't handle the really smaller/slower end (but it sure is close, especially if you are a strong surfer). I think an advanced surfer who rips waist high waves on a shortboard or dominator type will actually make the pnator work in SP type small waves. I'm not that good. I am experimenting with it though. I usually take both boards with me and play around with both. No doubt that eventually I could make the PNATOR work in SP waves. I'll never get rid of my spud though. In fact I could see myself trading in the 5'8 and going down to the 5'6. It's still a favorite board of mine.

Comment

FW-Fan

To add :

The Pnator is still very fast turns great and paddles very well. I still think it gets into waves a bit better than the SP but I might just be because I'm surfing it in faster, bigger waves. It turns very well and is a more aggressive board than the SP. I actually surf it better backhand than I do the SP. It really does have that dominator feel but with a bit more float and width to help me in the smaller waves. I always struggled in weak thigh to waist high and dumpy, fast waist high waves with my 6'2 dom. I always ended up taking out My twin fin fish because it got me into the faster smaller waves and held the rail a bit better than the SP. The Pnator has filled in that gap between my SP and dom. Havn't ridden the fish at all since I picked up the Pnator. Love that fish too but it collecting dust now. To be honest I don't really need the dom because once its solid chest+ my HF takes over. I love the DOM so much I can't get rid of that either. It just goes insane in good solid waves. I have to admit every FW board I've picked up has just performed so well. Each one is different than the other and I enjoy having a quiver with a variety of different boards. I'm a big fan of D Rastavich and I've always admired the fact that he rides alot of different boards. Thanks FW for some kick ass boards that have really amped up my level and my stoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
                FW-Fan

To add :

The Pnator is still very fast turns great and paddles very well. I still think it gets into waves a bit better than the SP but I might just be because I'm surfing it in faster, bigger waves. It turns very well and is a more aggressive board than the SP. I actually surf it better backhand than I do the SP. It really does have that dominator feel but with a bit more float and width to help me in the smaller waves. I always struggled in weak thigh to waist high and dumpy, fast waist high waves with my 6'2 dom. I always ended up taking out My twin fin fish because it got me into the faster smaller waves and held the rail a bit better than the SP. The Pnator has filled in that gap between my SP and dom. Havn't ridden the fish at all since I picked up the Pnator. Love that fish too but it collecting dust now. To be honest I don't really need the dom because once its solid chest+ my HF takes over. I love the DOM so much I can't get rid of that either. It just goes insane in good solid waves. I have to admit every FW board I've picked up has just performed so well. Each one is different than the other and I enjoy having a quiver with a variety of different boards. I'm a big fan of D Rastavich and I've always admired the fact that he rides alot of different boards. Thanks FW for some kick ass boards that have really amped up my level and my stoke.
                Thanks Bumper...clearly you have the stoke a meter turned up to 11. Now kind of thinking the Baked Potato might be the go. I can ride my regular shortys in waiste high but really am looking for something for under that. I liked the Sweet Potato's I owned but kind of got to the point that the performance trade off was bumming me out...mainly the sliding when it was unwanted. So I decided to sell them and just not surf when it was this small...now its winter and we have had heaps of surf thats not such a big issue but...there have been days when its small and I have wanted to surf and just dont have the right equipment now...ah got to love surfing..such an obsession...I dont understand people that try it and dont think its the best thing in the world..Cricket? Soccer? Rugby? Yeah right !

Comment

Interesting comments on this thread.
                  I've surfed 6', 5'10" and 5'8" sweet potatoes and also have a 6'2" potatonator and say for me the potatonator paddles in the flats and into waves easier than the sweet potato in sub 3' waves.
                  The only time the sweet potato had really good wave catching ease was with the 6' when surf 3-5' waves.
                  I tend to like to see what the limits are of various boards whether through rolling up to the beach and finding more swell than I bargained for or to satisfy curiousity when enjoying a board's ride characteristics.
                  I've not had any issues with the sweet poatatoes sliding.
                  When its been in 3' plus waves I've either run the Stretch FCS PC quads or the Indo fin controller copies fronts with Stretch rears.
                  Curious FW-fan what fins did you have in the sweet potato?

Comment

Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                    Interesting comments on this thread.
                    I've surfed 6', 5'10" and 5'8" sweet potatoes and also have a 6'2" potatonator and say for me the potatonator paddles in the flats and into waves easier than the sweet potato in sub 3' waves.
                    The only time the sweet potato had really good wave catching ease was with the 6' when surf 3-5' waves.
                    I tend to like to see what the limits are of various boards whether through rolling up to the beach and finding more swell than I bargained for or to satisfy curiousity when enjoying a board's ride characteristics.
                    I've not had any issues with the sweet poatatoes sliding.
                    When its been in 3' plus waves I've either run the Stretch FCS PC quads or the Indo fin controller copies fronts with Stretch rears.
                    Curious FW-fan what fins did you have in the sweet potato?
                    You name it I tried it. Stretch, PC7's, Simon Andersons...even the MRTFX as a quad set...thats a lot of fin. Looking through the forum it seems this was a pretty common thing with the SP. Probably because you have some much rail in the water you didnt experience it or maybe you werent pushing it as hard but it definately let go from time to time. All boards have pros and cons and I will say again I thoroughly enjoyed the board but just wanted the paddle and float with more hold...the search continues.

Comment

good feedback everyone!

My thoughts on this are that the Potatonator offers more rail and greater control in turing maneuvers and gives the surfer a little bit more of longer hybrid feeling. That is the major difference!! The Sweet Potato gets up and goes in smaller/softer conditions and rides a little more like a little plate, wider tail flatter rocker, wider profile, so its super fun and skatey.

They are both small wave boards, but these differences help surfers with different preferences get more of what they want in their small wave boards.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X