X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
    Has it taken over your Sweet Potato now Iggy or do they both get a work out?
    I still keep the potato for when I need to fit the board on little pockets and go over sections. That's the beauty of it!!, she fits anywhere on the wave. Now when teh wave gets a bit better I take te pnator.. But for sure they both overlap at some point, hence the difference is size. Love the squirty feeling on the smaller potato.
    So yeah they both share the love and quality time in the water ;)
    Life was definitely simpler back in the days when you had a 1 maybe 2 boards quiver (due to financial matters of course). Today there boards for any condition, fins for every board for every condition etc etc etc
    Last edited by iggy; 09-20-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Hey FW- Fan, did u get my email. Icant work how to send a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by spawne View Post
        Hey FW- Fan, did u get my email. Icant work how to send a private message.
        No mate .. hit me up again . thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
          Bumper not sure how old you are or surfing ability but I am 41 and intermediate...and 185+ and ride the 5'8 PN. In my view you should probably be on the 5'10 or maybe the 5'8 depending on experience, age and fitness.
          Do you feel that riding the PN at such a low volume for your weight hurts the wave catching ability in smaller weaker stuff since it was designed for that? The reason I ask is I am looking at which PN or SP to get and am in that weight range, 40yrs old with intermediate skills.

Comment

Originally posted by kreidel View Post
            Do you feel that riding the PN at such a low volume for your weight hurts the wave catching ability in smaller weaker stuff since it was designed for that? The reason I ask is I am looking at which PN or SP to get and am in that weight range, 40yrs old with intermediate skills.
            I view the PN as a waist to head high + board and the SP for everything under that. I dont miss many on either.

Comment

Fw fan

I'm 41 and a solid intermediate. In good waves I look better. The 510 should be great in better waves. I just worry that it might be harder to get into weaker smaller stuff. That's why I went with the pn. The 60 has actually felt better in bigger better waves than in the junky smaller stuff. Hoping the smaller board won't dig the rail so much in the chop or feel so tipsy in onshore waves. I love the paddle power of the 60 but it's just too boaty. Doesn't feel this way when it's clean. Why would the 510 at 36l be better in smaller waves than the 62 Dom at 38l?

Comment

Fw fan. FYI

When I mean small I mean waist or stomach. Like u, under waist I too ride the sp.

Comment

I don't even have that great results with my sweet potato under waist high. To be fair the waves here don't really do anything when it's smaller than that. Either they race off way too fast to surf or hold up in a soft lump until they lap up on the shore line.
                  There's a couple of other beaches around that shape up a smaller swell better, but when they are waist high or below, my local would be chest high or so.

Comment

Bumper there is always a dilemma on whether you have the right size and volume for the conditions, I'm around 90kg / 200lbs and have a 510 nator on the way I hope to be down to 83kg in a few months as I think at my current weight I'll be on the limit of weight to volume...

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                      Bumper there is always a dilemma on whether you have the right size and volume for the conditions, I'm around 90kg / 200lbs and have a 510 nator on the way I hope to be down to 83kg in a few months as I think at my current weight I'll be on the limit of weight to volume...

Let us know how it goes. Just had it out in clean fast waist to stomach somewhat closing out session and it went well. I'll keep on it through winter. Im sure more time on it will only help. By next spring I I'll be ready to downsize. Want fst eventually anyway. Right now im on the rapid fire. Like I said I don't worry about the 36 liter board once im in good waves it's getting into the junkier stuff or the faster stuff when I might want that extra foam. More time on the 6 0 should make the transition to the 5 10 alot easier. Same thing happened to my sp. had no problem going down a size to the 5 6 after spending a year and a half on the 5 8. Funny thing is the 5 6 sp is 36 l. The 510 pn will still have a touch more volume than that. I guess it's sometimes about where the volume is than how much.

Comment

Actually the sp is 38l. Still pretty close though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
                          Fw fan

I'm 41 and a solid intermediate. In good waves I look better. The 510 should be great in better waves. I just worry that it might be harder to get into weaker smaller stuff. That's why I went with the pn. The 60 has actually felt better in bigger better waves than in the junky smaller stuff. Hoping the smaller board won't dig the rail so much in the chop or feel so tipsy in onshore waves. I love the paddle power of the 60 but it's just too boaty. Doesn't feel this way when it's clean. Why would the 510 at 36l be better in smaller waves than the 62 Dom at 38l?
                          Bumper its not all strictly about volume..the whole volume thing is a bit over rated in my view. You can have 2 boards of the same volume board but if one is wider with more nose area it will out paddle the other every day...one up and riding you often dont want volume, particularly forward volume which will make the board surf flatter so it all a bit of an equation with many variables. If I were you and wanted to perform better on smaller waves I would go the 5'10 PN but if you were happy to catch more waves and perform at the lower end then stick with the 6'2 Dom as that will out paddle the PN all day due to having better planning area up front. Hope that helps.

Comment

Fw fan

Thanks. I definitely agree. It all made sense when I compared the sp 5 6 and the 5 10 pn volume. I'll be downsizing soon. I think the 5 10 will feel more like its attached to my feet. That's what happened when I went from the 5 8 sp to the 5 6. I really don't think I'll notice the paddle power difference with the 5 10 and 6 0 pn. Maybe in the thigh high stuff but I didn't get the pnator for that. I think the pn is built for getting into weak or punchy waist to chest waves as Long as I don't go below my volume number. It has me at 36 on the low end and 40 on the High end. Sp at 38 floats me just fine in thigh high junk. Pn at 36.7 should be perfect in waist plus not to mention once up and riding I'll have better control and maneuverability. I'll put it up for sale over the winter when my days in the water are more limited. Usually ride my Dom much more as the waves get punchier and more powerful. thanks again. Chris, if u get a chance to read the thread I'd love to hear your input.

Comment

Hi Bumper, Ill have the 5'10 out this weekend - nationals are on & Ill be competing - surf looks like its going to favour the nator

Comment

thanks for all the good input folks!!

Comment

Working...
                                X