Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatonator size v performance

Hi all,
    I'm going to get a pn for small days to take over from the 6.0 Dom. The Dom floats me fine at 83 kgs. My question is in small surf would I notice the performance difference (average skill level)of a 5 10 to a 6 0 pn in small waves if I wanted more float. Does the 5 10 pn sit a lot higher in the water then the 6.0 Dom anyway for around about the same liters?

Spawne,

I had a 5'8 Dominator and got myself a 5'8 PNator. The PNator definately floated and paddled better. On weak waves it was fine but couple of surfs on it with waves with a bit more push it did find it fighting me a little. It was a Rapidfire and got creased so I replaced it with a 5'6 FST PNator and after a couple of surfs i really didn't notice the difference in the volume to the 5'8 and i found it way more fun. It is easy to get into waves and if they have a little push the board manourvered so easily and did not fight me at all.

Your 6'0 Dom is 34.8ltrs and the 5'10 PNator is 36.8ltrs so the 5'10 will float you better than your Dom and paddle way better in weaker waves. You could also consider the 5'8 PNator at 33.9ltrs and even though it is nearly a litre of volume less than your Dominator it will still paddle as good if not slightly better because of its sllightly flatter rocker and its wide point forward of centre and the wider tail.

The PNator is 70% Dominator and 30% Sweet Potato which means it can handle weaker waves better than the Dom as well as waves with some push and even a nice drop. I have found that my 5'6 PNator pushed my 5'8 Dom out to a point that i didn't use it anymore and sold it.

Comment

Thanks Fazza 5'10 sounds like the go.

Comment

No worries you will love the Potatonator it is so much fun.

If you get one with FCS fins and you don't have any quad fins the Rusty R2 quads have worked well for me, if you get Futures i think the Rasta Quads work really well......fin choice is a personal preference but that is a starting point at least.

Let us know how you go when you get a few surfs on it.

Comment

Hey Fazza, had a couple of surfs on the pn now and well, wow! I went for a 6.0 at the end because I had a spinal fusion and still have a few problems, one is getting up on the board. Problem solved now. I thought the dom had great flow but the pn is unbelievable , even if you stuff up you just keep the speed or creat it very easy, and yet it still has great response. And the great thing is even with that extra volume. It really is super easy fun surfing that will only make me get better. I had the R2 quads in worked well, might try the power base fins next which I liked more on the dom.

Comment

Originally posted by spawne View Post
            Hey Fazza, had a couple of surfs on the pn now and well, wow! I went for a 6.0 at the end because I had a spinal fusion and still have a few problems, one is getting up on the board. Problem solved now. I thought the dom had great flow but the pn is unbelievable , even if you stuff up you just keep the speed or creat it very easy, and yet it still has great response. And the great thing is even with that extra volume. It really is super easy fun surfing that will only make me get better. I had the R2 quads in worked well, might try the power base fins next which I liked more on the dom.
            Hey there Spawne, I too had a fusion coming up to 4 years ago..curious how you are going with it. Hopefully better than before you had it. Shoot me a private message or hit me up on [email protected] . Cheers mate.

Comment

I have the 6'0 and I'm at 185 six foot solid intermediate. In mellow, mushy, slower, smaller waves I've been happy with the volume. I have begun to wonder if I should have gone to the 5'10 but I have had a hard time convincing myself that I should go to a volume number lower than my 6'2 dominator. I had the 6'0 pnator in fun, easy drop shoulder to head high waves last weekend and the Pnator ripped. Just before the swell peaked I was happy I had the pnator and not the dom or hellfire. The waves had a little punch but they were backing off a bit due to the tide. The volume on the pnator helped me get into a few fun stomach high lefts and rights. When the swell peaked an hour later I still felt very solid. I'm sure with another year under my belt I can downsize to the 5'10 but for now I'm glad I have the extra volume. I bought the board to replace my fishes that had volume too. It's def outperforming those boards in better waves. Like any shortboard when the waves get junky I pull out my log, sweet potato or just stay home. I still think it's a board meant for good small to medium waves. When it has gotten dumpy and junky I've found it's a struggle to find a good wave on most of my boards. In crap conditions though lately the pnator has still given me a good ride or two in an hour (just get wet) session.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
                I have the 6'0 and I'm at 185 six foot solid intermediate. In mellow, mushy, slower, smaller waves I've been happy with the volume. I have begun to wonder if I should have gone to the 5'10 but I have had a hard time convincing myself that I should go to a volume number lower than my 6'2 dominator. I had the 6'0 pnator in fun, easy drop shoulder to head high waves last weekend and the Pnator ripped. Just before the swell peaked I was happy I had the pnator and not the dom or hellfire. The waves had a little punch but they were backing off a bit due to the tide. The volume on the pnator helped me get into a few fun stomach high lefts and rights. When the swell peaked an hour later I still felt very solid. I'm sure with another year under my belt I can downsize to the 5'10 but for now I'm glad I have the extra volume. I bought the board to replace my fishes that had volume too. It's def outperforming those boards in better waves. Like any shortboard when the waves get junky I pull out my log, sweet potato or just stay home. I still think it's a board meant for good small to medium waves. When it has gotten dumpy and junky I've found it's a struggle to find a good wave on most of my boards. In crap conditions though lately the pnator has still given me a good ride or two in an hour (just get wet) session.
                For me this is a perfect definition of my experience with the Pnator. In waist to head high nice waves that are not pitching, it is so much fun. When it gets bumpy or dumpy, I pull out the Addvance

Comment

Side to side comparison between the 5'8" Spit and the 5'8" Pnator...just to put things in perspective
                  Attachment Attachment Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

yeah iggy!!!

Looking good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spawne View Post
                      Spawne

Glad it is working for you its a magic board.

Comment

Yup, it is an overvolumed board, but when hitting the small weak waves of the East Coast on a 6/5/4 with boots and gloves all that extra comes in handy. For what we get here is a session saver.

Comment

Has it taken over your Sweet Potato now Iggy or do they both get a work out?

Comment

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Although I have had alot of fun rides and sessions on my 6'0 Im wondering If I'd be better on the 5 10. I ordered mine so I didn't get a chance to compare boards. My first impression was that it was thicker than I thought it would be. I'm 6 185 maybe a bit more in winter especially with a 543. I'm very very happy with my 6 2 Dom and recently downsized from a 58 sp to a 56 without missin a beat. It def seems a bit more responsive than the 5 8. In the water the pnator sits just above my belly button. I don't know if the volume is influencing my surfing. When the waves are good the board had been spot on but stull feels overly floaty compared to my sp When I have to work a little harder to get up and on the board or keep it on rail in choppier waves I become a bit inconsistent. (i blow a drop or two or dig a rail on a bottom turn). . This is not the case with my sp or fishes in small to medium waves regardless of wave quality. Again good waves = good smooth surfing on the pnator so I'm not sure what to think but the thickness does seem to be a bit too much. Anyway if I drop to the 5 10 will it make sense. My Dom is 38l and the 510 is 36.7. Why would the pnator be better In small waves if the volume is 2 liters less. I picked up the pnator primarily for 2 to 3 ft so I figured 40l of volume would help out. Now I think it's hindering my performance Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Bumper not sure how old you are or surfing ability but I am 41 and intermediate...and 185+ and ride the 5'8 PN. In my view you should probably be on the 5'10 or maybe the 5'8 depending on experience, age and fitness.

Comment

Working...
                              X