X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'10 or 5'8 Potatonator?

Is it better to have the pnator with a lot of volume or just around what you are normally using?

My hellfire is 33.7L and my spitfire is 34.9L, the hellfire has heaps of volume and floats me well and the spitfire likewise but the extra volume is noticeable when duck diving!

The 5'10 is 36.8L and the 5'8 is 33.9L I'm currently around 90kgs. Do I need this extra volume to ride 1' waves? The spitfire still goes OK in 1' but the pnator looks like it can go better and still handle some juice up to the takeover point of the hellfire.

I dont think the PN is particularly a small wave board. I liked it most between 3-5 foot. BP for 2-4 for me.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/38674136
      The video gives me the impression it handles very small waves:

Comment

Slowman,

I'm riding my 506 PNator in 1-4ft surf depending on the waves. I had a 508 PNator which I found great to get into waves but found it a little bit harder to turn especially in a wave with a bit of juice due to the width. The 506 is 30.3lts which is around 1.5ltrs more than my other boards.

I think if you want the board to perform better in smaller weaker waves go the 5'10. Having that little bit extra volume over the other boards will definaltely help you on the 1ft wave days.....the rocker is a lot flatter than your spitfire which you seem to be ok on in 1ft waves.

There is always a trade off in going shorter even if the board has a lot of volume you still lose that plaining surface area in the length.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
          http://vimeo.com/38674136
          The video gives me the impression it handles very small waves:
          Have you seen the kinds of boards that Pros get moving in small waves?? You only have to look at the US open to see Pros on very low volume boards riding surf the same size as this and getting enormous speed. For mortals like you and I we need more planing surface,volume and bigger waves. I wouldn't take this video as some kind of forecast on how it is going to surf for the average punter in similar sized waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
            Is it better to have the pnator with a lot of volume or just around what you are normally using?

My hellfire is 33.7L and my spitfire is 34.9L, the hellfire has heaps of volume and floats me well and the spitfire likewise but the extra volume is noticeable when duck diving!

The 5'10 is 36.8L and the 5'8 is 33.9L I'm currently around 90kgs. Do I need this extra volume to ride 1' waves? The spitfire still goes OK in 1' but the pnator looks like it can go better and still handle some juice up to the takeover point of the hellfire.

I got both sizes, had the 5'8 first surfed it about 4-5 times in nothing over waist high and went ok, but always had a gut feeling i should be up a size on all my boards (previous boards 5'10 spit,dom, 5'11 elf) so picked up a used 5'10 to try out and sell on if i dont like it. Havent surfed it yet but should do this week.

The surf at my home break really weak waves nothing ever bigger than head high and thats pretty uncommon really and lots of long flat spells, so for that type of surf,fitness,weight i think it will go best....it will move better across flat sections better and keep up speed.

Normall days are 2-3ft high tide wind swell so should be the business.

Better waves with more punch 5'8 would be a keeper.

Comment

Got mine a bit over and it feels just right. Surfing a 5'8" Spit and the 5'8"Pnator and pretty happy so far.
              This board works much better as a quad than as a thruster

Comment

Good to hear Iggy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Good to hear Iggy!!
                  Thanks for the advise Chris, you were right. That little extra foam works like a charm!!

Comment

yeah especially because you want that board to be a go to in small surf...

Comment

Working...
                    X