Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agree with csarqui. full rails and a flat deck for sure. This is not a bad thing for me. I held it next to a chubby chedda, and the CC is much more refined throughout. I spoke to a guy at my local beach break who was on a Pyzel Pyzalien and he said he liked the pyzalien but was a very back footed surfer and wanted to get a DOM for small crappy days instead. The Chubby seemed a bit high-performance for my skills so I'm thinking the Pyzalien would be a much better board for my ability and the waves I typically surf.

Comment

I was trying to be polite by not bringing up the pyzaliens I had surfed and seen on other sites. They are configured differently. More volume at a lower length.

Comment

510 and 511 looks good! Chris you riding 511 or 600?

ALOHA!!

Comment

yeah guys so the volumes ARE different than the ones on his site, but i think those are older anyways. as far as these being exact, these are pretty close as Pyzel has had the chance to handle and approve several samples so there is a bit more certainty in these. The tomo vader is an exception because it also involves a new tech so there could be more tweaks made to that board than the specs seen above. any changes made to the pyzalien between now and the final announcement will be minor so you can rest assured these are very close if not correct.

Comment

regarding the chubby chedda, they do have some cross over DNA, but there will be differences in the curve of the board, subtle differences in the rocker and likely a bit bit of variation in the bottom contours. I haven't seen many so i can't give you the total run down but i will do so as soon as possible. Keep in mind too, the differences mentioned hove are relatively small, i just wanted to help illustrate there will be differences. Also the wide point is a good one. I believe the Chubby is a little bit more forward as well than the chub chub.

Comment

i've heard really good things about pyzel's rockers. i bet it'll be a good one.

Comment

CC is a performance hybrid for 3 to 6 ft.Pyzalien will be on the this category or is a high performance shortboard?
                What do you think Chris?

Comment

Hey custom,

It definitely is a step below boards like the Hellrazor, Michel, Alternator, Profile etc. It is meant to be ridden a bit shorter and wider and it carries a rocker profile more in line with boards like the Chubby Chedda and the Sub Scorcher. Some people definitely like to push the upper limits of these boards but it certainly falls in the category of being a performance hybrid...

Cheers and hope this helps

Comment

Both Spartan and Sal have been full of praise for the Pyzel step up. I saw CJ had some Firewires in the quiver too!

Comment

yeah CJ has grabbed a few boards here and there for sure.

Comment

My local surf shop got a batch for firewire pyzels on Monday. The one I wanted to see got sold the same day but there was a 5'4 and 5'8. the 5'4 is way under volumed for me and the 5'8 is slightly above it. Looks fun though.

Comment

No worries.

Although I will say that I don't find the rails to be as full as a hybrid. it still feels to me like a board that would perform very well.

Comment

Pyzalien vs. Sub-Scorcher? Any thoughts?

Comment

I have a Custom PU Pyzalien that is the same as the actual stock dimensions on Pyzels website, I had to get a custom as they didnt have any Pyzel surfboards for sale in any shops in the UK.

My PU Pyzalien is 6'2 x 20.25 x 2.5 and Volume is 35.81 litres so the Firewire volumes are totally way off.... to get something similar in volume i would have to buy a 6'6 equivalent Firewire Pyzalien which defeats the object of what the board is designed for?? which is 2ft to 2ft overhead.... and is meant to be ridden up to 4 inches shorter than you're everyday performance shortboard..

I absolutely love my Pyzalien one of the best boards I have ridden in years and was super keen to try one in firewire technology but with the volumes being totally off the mark looks like I'm going to have to stick with the stock PU models with the volume that is spot on for me at 100 kg. So if youre a big lad like me and you want the board at a shorter length with more volume then stick with the PU stock sizes......

http://www.pyzelsurfboards.com/#!pyzalien/cg7s follow the link to see the stock volumes and dimensions...
                              Last edited by pudzeeboy; 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I wonder if he has thinned them out to take advantage of the extra bouyency of EPS over PU? Some people say there is a 10-15% improvement in float.

Comment

• Slowman
                                  Slowman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The extra buoyancy isn't that significant. Yes it may be 10-15% when considering only the weight of the board, but once you add your weight to the equation that increase drops drastically down to around the 1.0-1.5% mark. For example I'm 90kg, my normal PU board is 3.5kg my FST is 2.5kg. So I've gone from roughly 93.5kg to 92.5kg on the board. That's only an improvement of ~1% for me. An improvement but not as significant as you might think.

• pmorgan
                                  pmorgan commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I would disagree there Slow. It works out at approx 5 % gain in buoyancy for. 1 pound eps epoxy construction. My 508 FST mini driver is 25 ltrs and my 509 pu sub driver is 26 ltrs they both have the same push back and are very similar shaped boards. The sub driver is a shape Fw should jump on its a sick wee board.

• Slowman
                                  Slowman commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Pmorgan, by all means disagree but can you show me your calculation of this "push back" and how they are equal? My point is there is a lot of perception involved in buoyancy and hence subjectivity. I'm yet to actually see any manufacturer significantly alter their volume recommendations for weight, based on whether they use PU or EPS. Either way you recognise the gain is nothing like 10-15%. I think a more objective test is the "sit test". When you sit on a performance board in the water, the water level normally will be around your upper abdomen, a lighter board won't change this that much and it probably won't be noticeable to those around you. Though this is at "dead weight" or full weight.

When we unweight through turns as we do I guess there will be some increased effect of buoyancy then, it might be helpful getting across dead sections and keep more speed because the board will sit higher momentarily until under full weight again. So maybe we get an amplification of the small increase of buoyancy factored by the dynamic weight of the moment. I'd imagine pulling some good hard turns will increase our dynamic weight beyond our dead weight too.

Yeah I smoke the good stuff!
                                  Last edited by Slowman; 06-25-2014, 07:46 PM.
                              Working...
                              X