Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right Spitfire for me

Hi Guys

would like your opinions to the most asked question. I'm 50 years young 92kg 6' 1" and fit. Looking at a Spitfire 6' 4 I'm thinking?? I surf the Gold Coast points and beachs. I surf every weekend there is a wave. Also what quad configuration would you recommend? I am looking for this board to be my go to board from 2 to 6 foot. Also thinking of getting a Sweet Potato in maybe 6' 2 to compete with the longboarders in 1-2ft what you think?

For the looks of it you have some hours banked already, so considering your dims and the young age, I'll recommend

Spit 6'2"
    Potato 5'6"

Comment

I'm 53 around your weight (about 90kg) and I'm surfing a 6'0 spitfire. It goes well in 1-4' waves for me. Now if you are going to get a 6'2 SP (56.6L that's heaps of volume, too much I reckon) you definitely don't need to overvolume the spitfire. For the SP I'm sure a 5'10" would be more than enough to compete with longboards in 1-2'. I find I can outpaddle most on my 6'0 spit anyway.

I find the volume calculator now (with age added), once you say your over 45, it seems to almost ignore your fitness level and recommends much higher volumes than I'd ever want. Though I do have some background in swimming which might help make me a better paddler than some. In any case the 5'10" SP is 46.8L which is 7L more than a 6'4" spit which is around the 40L mark. Seriously, if I were you I'd demo a 6'0 (35L) spit first and see how that goes. If that suits then maybe a 5'10 or even a 5'8 SP.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely trying to go a short as possible. When its small and fat the Mals are just catching them further out leaving no waves which is why I was looking for extra volume or am I wrong. Definitely going to demo first. Want short as possible but want to keep the wave count high and fun.
        Last edited by 50young; 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Well you were spot on after demoing some boards I've gone with a 6' Potatonator and a 5'7" Baked Potato love both boards when I demo'd them 40l seems the perfect float for me. Thanks for the advice all
          Originally posted by iggy View Post
          For the looks of it you have some hours banked already, so considering your dims and the young age, I'll recommend

Spit 6'2"
          Potato 5'6"

Comment

Working...
          X