Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerbase DL or DXL :D

Comment

I run 2 front Powerbase DLs and 2 SF4s in the back and it goes sooooooooooooooooo sick! I still havnt bothered trying this board as a thruster because I find it perfect as it is. Im still in love with this board ha ha.

Comment

How about MF-1, PC-7 OR SA2 Thrusters?? Would the k2.1 set be too small for me at 188lbs? as I like the idea of a 5 fin set so I can play around with quad and thruster set ups with the one set?

Comment

Originally posted by benny81 View Post
          How about MF-1, PC-7 OR SA2 Thrusters?? Would the k2.1 set be too small for me at 188lbs? as I like the idea of a 5 fin set so I can play around with quad and thruster set ups with the one set?
          Benny, I am about 185 and with the K2.1's I cant use them as a thruster but definitely can as a quad because of the extra area of a quad v thruster...7's , MF's and SA's all work fine for me as thrusters.

Comment

prj what do you think of power base boxes?

Comment

I haven't seen them in the flesh, but from what I've heard and read they sound pretty damn good and super easy to install. Could be worth looking into getting a couple of boards made with them and seeing what everyone thinks? I'm sure they handle standard FCS fine too.

Comment

do they fit FCS fins?

Comment

Pretty sure. The powerbase fins fit in FCS boxes so I can't see why their boxes wouldn't be the same.

From what I've read, they are lighter and stronger.

Comment

http://www.powerbasefins.com.au/boxes

Greg from Soar's explanation

Our boxes seem to be some of the strongest on the market. We have broken a few fins out of the boxes but the boxes have not been failing. Owen ran over Adam Melling in Jefferies Bay last year and lost his fins but his boxes were fine. You can see the collision on You Tube. Type in Owen Wright Adam Melling Jefferies Bay and it will come up. It doesn’t show Owen’s board but I can assure you that he only needed to screw in new fins and he was back in the water.

Why are they so strong? There are a number of reasons. Firstly they are curved so there is no fault line on the box. Secondly they are quite large and spread the load very well. They also cover the entire base of the fins. They are stronger because they have a better leverage advantage because they extend past the back and front of the fin. The fiberglass is also sandwiched between the fin and the box which then involves the bottom laminate of the board. They are hollow with a full ladder frame construction which makes them light (positive buoyancy) and strong. There is a cap ultrasonically welded to the underside of the box which completes the structure. Our method of installation means minimal resin is used and therefore retains the lightness of the board.
                    Last edited by Phill; 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

got a 5'8 spit ( only had 1mth ) so only handful of surfs so far - but love it . Still using the standard FCS quad set it came with ( DTL surf shop hayle cornwall ) ......any thoughts on the best set up . Any info on how the Indo Fins ( controllers ) for FCS would go ......know they work on the EF but would they on the SF.

thanks is advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben8256 View Post
                        got a 5'8 spit ( only had 1mth ) so only handful of surfs so far - but love it . Still using the standard FCS quad set it came with ( DTL surf shop hayle cornwall ) ......any thoughts on the best set up . Any info on how the Indo Fins ( controllers ) for FCS would go ......know they work on the EF but would they on the SF.

thanks is advance.
                        I wouldn't use controllers in a SF. I liked the K2.1 with nubster setup.

Comment

can't decide what to do with my 5'8 Spitfire... i like it too much when the waves have some push in them and it's still not Alternator conditions. Will probably keep it, at least until spring/summer and see what new models come out.

Tried it as a quad again today, and although it goes great as a thruster, I think it's better as a quad in softer waves; more drive and speed. Tried the PC SF4 and I did feel that the board could have been slightly looser but liked the speed it generated. Don't what to take the fins out of my Sweet Potato every time I want to used them in my Spitfire, so; is there any other quad fins that could give the drive and speed of the SF4s but be slightly looser ? Keep thinking K2.1 5 fin set, but I'm afraid that they don't have enough drive for softer waves?

Comment

I'm 90kg and the K2.1 quads have enough drive for me in smaller waves. Once it starts getting overhead and a half (in my JK), is when i find them lacking as much drive as I'd like but at 10kg lighter I think you'll find them OK. I've used them in the spit and they have ok drive but not quite as much as the R2 quads.

Comment

Less drive in bigger waves ?

I could get another PC SF4 set, but I just wanted to know if there was a different set that could give a slightly looser feel but with good drive and speed i smaller waves (soft).

Maybe clustering them together is the solution? I've only tried fins in the center of the Fusion box.
                              Last edited by Erling; 11-29-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                                Less drive in bigger waves ?
                                Not less; not enough. It's also related to hold too, not enough acceleration out of turns if they won't hold as well. For smaller waves it isn't an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X