X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptor

Little question, is THE RAPTOR model, offered only in Japan, related to the spitfire at all???. Looks like quite a funky board!!!Attachment
    Attached Files

A dominator with a different tail, just like the Spifire ?

But why do they offer different models in Japan? Maybe this tail shape is very popular over there... ?

Comment

I think it has to do with the whole Godzilla thing!!!;)
      Could e interesting grabbing some feedback on that tail, looks pretty funky!!

Comment

that was a regional preference that we felt wasn't suitable for other markets, so to keep it simple we limited where we offered the board.

I haven't ridden it myself though. don't have all that much interest in it either....

Thanks!

Comment

so thats where MP's fang tail went...your probably all too young to know what that is...!!

Comment

Haha nah Dave, I have his biography. Great read.

Comment

too funky for me

Comment

Why lot of surfboard manufacturers make spécial boards for Japan ?
                What are the spécifications for this country ?

Comment

Like any region of the world, they have their own history to the sport and their own set of preferences. There is a similar dynamic here in the US, even if you go from San Diego to San Francisco you begin to see geographical and cultural influences impacting the boards on the sales floors of regional shops.

Its similar with Japan in that there are shapes and preferences unique to their region of the world. The reason its only available there is because we deemed it not appropriate for all markets.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                    so thats where MP's fang tail went...your probably all too young to know what that is...!!
                    I currently have it decorated with Christmas lights and it's being used as a Christmas tree.

Actually, down in southern Sydney there was a shaper called Will York who made a few replicas, he was friends with the Peterson brothers and they'd come and stay with him and I guess he must have taken shaping lessons from MP as he used to turn out MP tooth picks by the dozen....unfortunately he shared some of MP's other vices and I think he was locked up or headed up the coast or maybe both. In any event he disappeared. After that the MP influence in design largely disappeared.
                    Last edited by Slowman; 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

good stuff slowman, i knew they used to hide out and design somewhere on the southside...they definitely weren't just couch sitters... TP's fish (ala curren in indo)...MP's fangtail (designed to destroy his opponents nerve as he walked down the beach)...and i believe MP was redistributing rocker to control barrel speed at kirra etc...imagine what they could of contributed if they weren't on the poison..!!..

yet again i am involved in meandering off topic..!!
                      Last edited by core personal training; 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

yeah MPs rocker was designed to split the board in half of something. Weight back slowed the board down a lot and as soon as he put his weight forward it took of like a rocket.
                        can't remember the exact details, i might have to give the book another read soon. it's quality stuff. wasted talent for sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X