Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions Decisions ... spit, dom, potanator?

Hi Guys,
    I'm asking meself which board will do me right, the Spitfire or the Dominator? I'm nothing more then a somewhat average surfer trying to get many rides and will be able to progress fairly quick as soon as i get those rides in. I get the impression when reading the forumposts that the boards are just the same only with the Spitfire having the additional bite to it cos of the diamant shaped tail and thinned out rail.
    Is it only obvious to take the Spitfire or is this average surfer better of with a Dominator or even a Potatonator?
    Plus i'd like to know whether to take the rapidfire one and why choose that over the other one.

By the way, i'm 190 cm (6'2) tall and about 82 kg (164 pounds) of weight.

i mostly surf in Europe and my home break is in the inconsistent Netherlands.

I currently surf a Tokoro Resin8 5'8 quad fish and that goes pretty well. And i won't be able to afford more then just this one board extra.

My thoughts lean towards the spitfire or dominator 5'10 ..

Plz share your thoughts.

What sort of wave is your home break, soft full, sucky and powerful?? 1' - 3' or 6'

Comment

I've tried all three boards. I rank them in this order of performance: 1. Spit 2. Pnator 3.Dom
      Spit and Pnator are almost identical at the same length. The only difference is Pnator has about 1" wider midpoint, 1" wider tail, no step down tail rail, and a slightly more volume. An important thing to note is the type of wave you will be riding which 50young brought up.
      Soft, slopey, contains flat sections, Pnator. Sucky and powerful, Spit. Soft, mushy, Dom.
      Good luck!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Ah nice thnx for the help sofar.

I would discribe my homebreak as onshore mushy but pretty power at times, it's like al those dimensions cos it's a shifty beachbreak with the occasional good offshore day. All with a range of 1' up to 3' or even 4'.

The thing is that i would like it to be able to surf headhigh powerfull waves in France aswell, which i visit quite often.

Maybe i'm asking to much of a single board?

Maybe go for a Spit and save more money to buy a potatonator. Although i might be better of with a Hellfire next to a potatonator. The horror and the joy...

Comment

From what I can gather about the waves in your area, a Dom might be the call. The differences between it and the Spit are there but fairly subtle. The Dom will definitely handle the softer days (which likely means most days) better, and it is still a super versatile board. My guess is that it will bump up your wave count. I have seen a guy tear it up on a day with well overhead waves on a Dom. In terms of absolute performance you might give up a bit, but realistically, I doubt you would notice it. I have no experience with a PN, but the Dom is a super solid choice.

Comment

Potatonator sounds the go to me, with Hellfire for France. But if you can only afford one board at the moment you have to ask what sort of wave are you ride most at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by SvenBoogert View Post
              Ah nice thnx for the help sofar.

I would discribe my homebreak as onshore mushy but pretty power at times, it's like al those dimensions cos it's a shifty beachbreak with the occasional good offshore day. All with a range of 1' up to 3' or even 4'.
              Sounds like Scheveningen.

The thing is that i would like it to be able to surf headhigh powerfull waves in France aswell, which i visit quite often.

Maybe i'm asking to much of a single board?

Maybe go for a Spit and save more money to buy a potatonator. Although i might be better of with a Hellfire next to a potatonator. The horror and the joy...
              For surfing in the Netherlands I'd be going with a P-nator or a Spit with plenty of volume (see the volume calculator) but for France you'll need a different board. I'd be thinking about a Hellrazor. Hellfire could work too but France gets some good hollow tubing beach breaks and a Hellrazor I think would be better and you could perhaps still surf it on the better days at home.

Comment

Damn stoked with all the possibillities at hand. I'm now leaning towards the p-nator at the moment.
                With my skilllevel weight and length in mind what would be the best size for me?
                I ride a 5'8 resin8 tokor quad fish at the moment of which i don't know the excact volume. Itried to email Mister Wade Tokoro but he wasn't home i suppose.
                The Tokoro's dimensions are: 5'8 1/2" by 20 3/4" by 2 3/4"

Thanks guys appreciate your help

Comment

Originally posted by SvenBoogert View Post
                  With my skilllevel weight and length in mind what would be the best size for me?
                  Are you 164 lbs or 82 kg?

Comment

Pnator 5'8" will be my call

Comment

Working...
                    X