Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the research. Have you tried the AM2 fronts with the Rusty rears? I have the R1 setup and am absolutely loving it. I've had success with AM2's as the front fins in quad setups before, and I'm going to try to order a set to try next week (with the Rusty's in the rear).

The AM2 Techflex quad setup intrigues me, but those rears just seem pretty massive; I feel like I could easily get away with Am2 fronts, Rusty rears in head high to 1.5x overhead surf. Any more input on mixing and matching these two sets would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by LeftLane View Post
      Thanks everyone for the feedback. Gonna be posting Round #2 shortly. Unfortunately the Jordy v. Roberts fight has been postponed until further notice. My buddy grabbed the Jordy's to "try out" for this swell we are getting now but I hope to get them back in a few days. Sorry Hawaii Boi...soon.
      I'm still waiting... *tapping foot* haha j/k. Take your time, but hurry up!

ALOHA!!

Comment

Attachment

Winner by decision: Jordy

Well I really trained hard for this bout of big guy thrusters. Lots of Stone IPAs (local brewery) and many runs to Five Guys for burgers. Topped out at 186 lbs. Some of the most enjoyable training I’ve ever gone through.

So the testing for this round stretched over the course of three sessions. A good sized day, around head high with juice, and a couple smaller size 2-3+ days. I actually really liked both sets but the Jordy’s seemed to perform better for me. I noticed a bit more drive and turning was still tight and snappy. I know these fins are for bigger guys but they really seemed to go well on the Spit. They really are big fins but the Jordys have a lot of flex in the tip. You can really notice it just bending them in your hand versus the Roberts. Maybe this give it that extra release out of turns. Not sure but I may be a big guy tri guy even after I get control of my weight.

Next up: back to quad testing…Rusty vs. Rasta.
        Attached Files

Comment

@ Scott Danger - will have to try that setup. Seems interesting. Yeah I definitely preferred the smaller trailers in a quad setup for the Spitfire. Those Rustys seem perfect size and shape. However on Spud I use Elevon Quads with the big trailers and they go well. Totally different setup and conditions, though.

A buddy of mine who converted to Futures recently was asking about picking up trailers. If you come across others that are good let me know!

Comment

Damn, you guys have given me new combos to think about. I'm thinking AM2 + Rusty trailer vs. Jordys + Rusty trailer need to get in the Octagon.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftLane View Post
              Damn, you guys have given me new combos to think about. I'm thinking AM2 + Rusty trailer vs. Jordys + Rusty trailer need to get in the Octagon.
              in the Spit video, looks like Timmy Reyes is rocking AM2 fronts with F4 rears. Jordys with controller rears sounds interesting too. Thanks for testing all these fins out, esp the Jordys!
              ALOHA!!
              Last edited by hawaii_boi; 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the update LeftLane. I got the AM2 Techflex set -

AM2 Fronts / R2 rears and nubster: Waves were waist high and not extremely hollow . . . this was just too much fin for me (riding 5'8 Dom). Board still had decent pivot, but I really had to focus on muscling through turns more and ended up with a more drawn out turning radius. I felt more "stuck" in the wave, and there was no obvious benefit given the conditions. I should have removed the nubster, but I just gave up and went back to the full R1 setup since the waves were super fun, and I didn't want to waste waves. I think that Fazza has posted a few times about loving the AM2 / R1 setup in his Dom though (and not just in overhead waves).

R1 fronts / AM2 quad rears: I surfed this combo before I switched in the AM2 fronts, and man it wasn't working at all for me. I was entering waves really quickly, but once up and running the pivot just wasn't there. I think these might be great as rears on a Sweet or Baked Potato, and they might come in handy if I can get myself down to Indo this year.

I am a huge fan of the AM1 Blackstix/R2 quad setup. I find that I have a ton of control but still feel free. Honestly, even in 1.5x overhead hollow waves, I still think that this setup would be just fine for me (I wouldn't be on the Dom though haha). The only downside is a certain stickiness to the setup when the waves aren't as powerful, but I'm thinking it might be the V2 foil messing things up.

Comment

Anyone running Rastas? I've had them for a few months (haven't been out that much being winter in the northeast). Not sure how much I like them, I feel like they lack drive. Could very well be my ability

Comment

@Browndog,
                    I tried em and they don't have drive. Definitely not good for weak waves. Great for wedgy waves and chest high waves and up.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Bump! This was a great thread. Id love to hear feed back on Jordy vs Pancho vs AM2. Controllers and stretch quads have worked well in my 6'1 elfuego but not clicking in my5'7 bp. Maybe I went too big but hoping a fin switch could help, Im 200lbs, moderately fit ( should be 175lbs)

Comment

@LeftLane.....did you go into retirement? Should have tons of "research" completed by now :)

Comment

solus fins a day long in the spitfire. Demo a set if you can it will change the way you look at crappy waves

Comment

I am going to try the Rusty set tomorrow in the Spitty, should be fun.

Comment

Rusty quads are fun, I use them for head high+...anything smaller I run the Stretch quads, they're looser in the smaller stuff. The Rusty's have a ton of hold and drive, throw in a nubby and there's no slide out in bottom turns when it's a little OH

Comment

Just to give some feedback, I've been trying different setups on my 5'10 spit and I've came to the conclusion that AM2 fronts with a Rob Machado trailer is the perfect combo for me. The AM2's provide awesome drive to generate speed and they hold a good line for cutbacks, yet the smaller flexy trailer frees up the backend to blow out the tail for some awesome snapage. Highly recommended if you guys get a chance to try it out.

Stats: 6'0, 195lbs (88.5kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X