Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire Futures Fin UFC (Ultimate Fin Championship)

Attachment

Surfing my 5í 8Ē Spitfire and splitting sessions between a pair of fins. I surf a combination of beach speed-walls, sandbars, mixed reef and reef points in the North Country San Diego area. I consider myself upper intermediate: vertical power surfing but nothing above the lip. I am not an aerospace engineer or an expert on planning hulls. I know this results arenít scientific by any means so take them for what they are: one manís opinion based on a couple sessions with as similar possible conditions as possible. Now on with the first fight...

Attachment

Attachment

Winner by decision: Rusty Quad

Rusty has a better combo of drive and turning which better suits the Spitfire. I am usually a thruster guy but I have a suspicion I may want these babies for a daily driver after all the testing is completed.

But man oh man if I was racing big walls I will put in the AM2s in a heartbeat. So freaking fast. A few pumps and it is off to the races. Very solid underfoot just probably not the right template for this board. Even with my foot all the way back the turn radius was significantly larger than the Rusty quad.

Next up, Big Guy Tri's. Jordy vs. Roberts. Stay tuned.
    Attached Files

Outstanding LeftLane...My 510 Spitfire is somewhere in the holiday shipping craziness right now and should be here in the upcoming week. I've been trying to decide on a set of fins but there's so many choices it's crazy. I was looking at the R2's, SF4's, and the K2.1's (loved the tri's on my old thruster)...I'm surfing Northern New England for a couple more years and I'm trying to get back to Cali after that. I can't wait to see more reviews from you!

Comment

Good thread!

Comment

Wow thanks for the research!!!. Pretty useful

Comment

Originally posted by LeftLane View Post
          I can't wait for this review!

Comment

Originally posted by LeftLane View Post
            Attachment

Surfing my 5’ 8” Spitfire and splitting sessions between a pair of fins. I surf a combination of beach speed-walls, sandbars, mixed reef and reef points in the North Country San Diego area. I consider myself upper intermediate: vertical power surfing but nothing above the lip. I am not an aerospace engineer or an expert on planning hulls. I know this results aren’t scientific by any means so take them for what they are: one man’s opinion based on a couple sessions with as similar possible conditions as possible. Now on with the first fight...

Attachment

Attachment

Winner by decision: Rusty Quad

Rusty has a better combo of drive and turning which better suits the Spitfire. I am usually a thruster guy but I have a suspicion I may want these babies for a daily driver after all the testing is completed.

But man oh man if I was racing big walls I will put in the AM2s in a heartbeat. So freaking fast. A few pumps and it is off to the races. Very solid underfoot just probably not the right template for this board. Even with my foot all the way back the turn radius was significantly larger than the Rusty quad.

I love it...massive UFC fan here (just met Ross Pearson the other day at my local beach !! He is learning to surf believe it or not). Also recently started using Futures and have built up a bit of a quiver of fins too. No surprise with the Rusty v the AM2's. The extra rake with the AM's is always going to make them surf longer in turns but the trade off is more drive. Great down the line or point fins. Would love to see how the Pancho's go as a thruster set...looking for some big fins for my Potatonator as a Tri...only ever surfed it as a quad but the thruster set up has me curious. Great work Lefty !!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Gonna be posting Round #2 shortly. Unfortunately the Jordy v. Roberts fight has been postponed until further notice. My buddy grabbed the Jordy's to "try out" for this swell we are getting now but I hope to get them back in a few days. Sorry Hawaii Boi...soon.

Comment

Attachment

Winner by decision (almost too close to call): Machado

Surfed a shoulder high beach break today at high tide and then a fast reef point at low tide. The Machados felt like knives slicing through warm butter. Will have to give these a go side by side with whatever quad combo ultimately makes it to the top. Compared to the EAs I felt they maintained a touch better out of turns and were a bit more smooth, hence the butter knife reference.

The EAs did very well but felt a little flat coming out of turns and through sections. They just don’t seem to have the spring out of turns of the Machado’s. And where I surfed today you needed it. Most likely they would be better suited for more hollow pocket surfing. Not sure as I really didn’t need that today.

In general I feel like both templates are solid, versatile performers. More testing needed. But for now I am advancing the Machado’s by the thinnest of margins.
                Attached Files

Comment

Would be interested to hear EA Blackstix compared to the Machados. I reckon they'd be a little more lively than the Techflex

Comment

get some am1's blackstix in a bout.. ding ding ding

Comment

What about the Roberts v the Pancho?? Gee that would be helpful for me...though might be a bit too much fin for you lefty at 82kgs. Youve started a monster with this...lol.

Comment

arent the roberts much smaller??

Comment

Ahhh Yes you are right...I knew the Pancho was a big fin but when I just looked up the stats...man that is one big mofo fin and I don't think there is anything else that big to compare it to...maybe except the Jordy's but even then there is a big gap between the Pancho and the Jordy in terms of area. Pancho must weight like 250lbs??

Comment

yeah the Panchos are beefy...

he was a bigger guy form HI when he developed those fins, but subsequently lost weight. still a good bigger wave template though...

Cheers

Comment

Great thread looking forward to more testing. Just got myself a Spitfire after wanting one for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X