Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
5'6-5'8 Spitfire FCS fin choices...bought over from alt thread... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6-5'8 Spitfire FCS fin choices...bought over from alt thread...

PRJ - So far on the 5'6 only tried K2.1 as thruster and M5 front/GL back as a quad (this was only good in small surf) i just don't know what the feedback is on the stretch SF4's - most people i know sell them as soon as they pick up their new board. But i am finding the board drags a little through turns as a thruster?

Maybe the PC stretch fins might be the go...don't think i can afford the Rusty's or Andersons.

I found the K2.1 set fun but pretty skiddy and slidey. I feel like with the shorter rail line and wider tail you either need to increase the fin area or the fin rake. When I cut mine down into a squash it really exaggerated this issue and that's when I gave up on the K2.1s as I was getting too much uncontrolled release.
    At that point I tried the K3 thruster set and noticed a huge improvement. The short rail and wide tail kept things loose but the extra rake gave a lot more drive and full control.
    I haven't surfed it as a thruster for a long time now, but have really enjoyed the quad and nubster setup in heavy, low tide, wedgey beach breaks to mellow, peeling left handers (backhand).
    It holds on a steep face like its on train tracks, drives well through turns and releases well if you shift your weight off the tail through a turn.
    If I was looking to surf a Spitfire in chunky stuff that'd be my fin choice for sure.

Comment

Ideally i want more drive and hold, like you say i feel like i'm riding a wild horse with the K2.1's maybe the tail area is too wide for an upright fin like that, i'm prepared to switch to a quad but want something reliable for my weight, Rustys and SA's are probably too big, shame they don't do the Rasta's in FCS as they look sweet!

Comment

Yeah quads can be a pain to dial in. Even a more raked thruster set could be a good start.
        Where are you based? I've got a pair of GAM sides that you could combine with a medium rear and it might be an improvement. They are only the cheap glassflex composite material but I'm happy to send them over if you cover postage? They'd give you something to gauge off but they could be a bit big for your weight.

Comment

Thanks for the offer but i don't have any rears small enough, just some K2.1's and FG5's, gonna see if i can borrow some stretch quads and see what that goes like, if not i might have to try something like the K2.1's in the front and buy some Q1's for the rear, think that's similar to Slater's set except i'll be running the budget version...plastic fantastic!

Comment

The only issue with the Stretch set, is like the K2.1s, they are fairly upright. I reckon the GAM fronts with the K2.1 rear fin could be a fun set.

Comment

So am i guessing on quads that the front fins give you the speed and drive and the rears are there for extra hold, i not a advocate of quads so my experience is limited, just want to try the right set for the right board, no test centres down my way so its buy and try then hope for the best...

Comment

I think with all fins being on rail they all contribute to the hold and drive. Certainly a lot harder to dial in than a thruster set though where it's pretty easy to switch fronts or back fins to get things how you want them!

Comment

We got some new swell coming this weekend so i'll have a play, will make some visits tonight and get a fin collection to take to the beach, might have to take a electric ratchet tool for quick changes!

Cheers.

Comment

fingers crossed for some decent waves!

Comment

Must be cross-off and pumping in Cornwall?

Just ordered some GX fins, they're about 98mm x 100mm - read on Swaylocks that these and K2.1's in the front had better drive and performance than the SF4's...Ideally i like a set of the Bruce Irons kinetic quads, but 100 is going break me straight after Christmas...i'll revert in a couple of week to how this goes, will also try M5's in the front too, might be a budget buster for those that want to try a quad without the expense? I've yet to find someone that rates the SF4's as an all rounder...imagine the Performance Core version works better, again 80-90 though.

Comment

Try on PN 5.8 K2.1 front with SF4 rear and really like it more get up and go speed loose enough nice hold and release on the top.Waves that day had enough power must try again in more weak soft conditions to say more..

Comment

Cross off-shore bouncey and funky shaped. I think all the recent storms have ripped the beaches apart even more than they all ready were.
                          I just had a shocker. Hard to get excited about after a month in Morocco. Hopefully it sorts it's self out over the next day or so.

Comment

Originally posted by custom View Post
                            Try on PN 5.8 K2.1 front with SF4 rear and really like it more get up and go speed loose enough nice hold and release on the top.Waves that day had enough power must try again in more weak soft conditions to say more..
                            Think the SF4 rear is very similar to the GX except it has a 50/50 foil and a bit more tip whereas the GX is a flat sided mini M3. Will be interesting to see if that combo works in both small and large waves as i'd appreciate more speed out of turns when its sloppy, yet control when punchy.

Comment

From what I've read, you get more drive with flat sided rears and more control with 50/50 rears. Some 80/20s could be a good compromise if you were only going to have 1 set.

Comment

Working...
                              X