Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the 6'6 spit and use panchos thruster which r huge, but super stable in any surf. i tried the matzos and biolos, but they make my surfing squirrley. the simple answer might not b if ur skill level isnt snuff, but does ur style fit the size and shape of ur board. being 6'3 205 seems kinda big for a 6'4, but i only say that because i'm 5'11 185 as well as 41. i tend to like bigger boards though. nobody knows ur skill level in the bowl, as long as u dont eat it. lol

Comment

I wouldn't bother about digging in more on turns on the Spit - it just resists having that tail sunk. You just need to adapt. It takes time. Indeed, just this morning I completely ruined the wave of the day when I was just a touch late on takeoff, weighted the tail as I was dropping in just a tad more, and it shot out from under my feet. I was really pissed as it was shaping up to be a great wave.

I suspect though from your comments you'll enjoy the Hellfire more in average surf than the Spit. Indeed if I had one I probably would too. I truly see the benefit of the Spit/Dom as in average to smaller than average conditions. I wouldn't beat myself up about it.

As for fins, yeah, I definitely found fins with more drive better. I've enjoyed the PC7, GAM and K3's in that board, with a small preference for the K3's. if I was using the board more in head high plus waves I'd probably use the GAMs or PC7's. the Dom is strictly a small wave board for me, and for when I am fatter/less fit.

I am strongly considering moving to the Unibrow when its released to replace the Dom. As I often say I find the Dom great in waist to chest high waves, but I'd like a tad more nose rocker and a slightly more sensitive tail. I'm not sure if it will be a straight up replacement or not.

Comment

thanks again. i'm going to get some new fins for sure and give it a week or two when we get the weak surf in the spring. thanks

Comment

Here's the fins i'm using. this is a quad set but they make it as a 5 fin and i've actually been surfing it as a thruster. i'm not sure i see any futures any better for me but i don't know fins well. Buzzy looks like yours are fcs. any futures knowledge or comments. anyone? i just read that i can go to quad for more drive. guess i could try that. thanks

SA4 - Simon Anderson

Outline: Simon Anderson

Front Fins: FSA4

Height: 4.63 in, 11.80 cm
          Base: 4.51 in, 11.50 cm
          Area: 15.80 sq in, 40.10 sq cm

Rear Fins: FSA4 Quad Rear

Height: 4.36 in, 11.10 cm
          Base: 4.14 in, 10.50 cm
          Area: 13.24 sq in, 33.60 sq cm

Base Depth: 1/2 in. only

A template designed for surfers looking for hold and power in the large weight range. The large base allows you to create your own speed while the large tip helps you stay on rail. Riding the quad rears instead of the center fin will add drive and hold.

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detai...d_sa4_full.jpg

Comment

might try the jodry or pancho as a thruster? they're the only two with more drive. if they're too bulky for my spit i can try them on the hellfire.

http://www.futuresfins.com/catalog.php?type=thrusters

Comment

Well that too is not always an answer and you could be destined for drainin the cash reserves.

I've had boards that woke up with a diff fin set up but never were they un-surf-able otherwise. The boards were just ok and good enough.

I've found FWs suggestion on fin setup (on the sticker of the board) to be pretty spot on. So if you are using one of them, then its most likely not the fins.

Comment

The AM2 in Futures should be good. I'm prett sure the Pancho and Jordy are even bigger fins - I find the GAM big enough.

Comment

Sorry, GAM FCS = AM2 in Futures.

Comment

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                    i dunno man, I've said it before; not every board works for every body.

If it don't work, ditch it. FWs keep there resale value which is yet another reason to get one :)

Seriously man, you cannot repeat surf sessions, no do overs. Once that wave has passed, its passed.
                    While that is true, I initially struggled with the dominator when I first got it until I found what it needed fin wise to get it to work for me. With some knowledge of fins you can usually make an educated guess what you need more or less of out of the 3 attributes, drive, hold and pivot (ie. arc tightness). Fins are crucial, they can't change a small wave board into a big wave board or visa vera, or a barrel rider into a summer groveller, but if you don't have the right fins they can turn any board into a dog. Maybe that's what you mean by "waking up" a board below.

Originally posted by scott View Post
                    Here's the fins i'm using. this is a quad set but they make it as a 5 fin and i've actually been surfing it as a thruster. i'm not sure i see any futures any better for me but i don't know fins well. Buzzy looks like yours are fcs. any futures knowledge or comments. anyone? i just read that i can go to quad for more drive. guess i could try that. thanks

SA4 - Simon Anderson

Outline: Simon Anderson

Front Fins: FSA4

Height: 4.63 in, 11.80 cm
                    Base: 4.51 in, 11.50 cm
                    Area: 15.80 sq in, 40.10 sq cm

Rear Fins: FSA4 Quad Rear

Height: 4.36 in, 11.10 cm
                    Base: 4.14 in, 10.50 cm
                    Area: 13.24 sq in, 33.60 sq cm

Base Depth: 1/2 in. only

A template designed for surfers looking for hold and power in the large weight range. The large base allows you to create your own speed while the large tip helps you stay on rail. Riding the quad rears instead of the center fin will add drive and hold.

http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-detai...d_sa4_full.jpg
                    I reckon you need a base of around 116mm to get the drive you need. The broader base means a more solid base which will give you some good push out of turns.

Originally posted by aurfalien View Post
                    Well that too is not always an answer and you could be destined for drainin the cash reserves.

I've had boards that woke up with a diff fin set up but never were they un-surf-able otherwise. The boards were just ok and good enough.

I've found FWs suggestion on fin setup (on the sticker of the board) to be pretty spot on. So if you are using one of them, then its most likely not the fins.
                    Rarely have I found the manufacturer's recommended fins, not just FW but others too, to be suitable for me. I don't quite know what you mean by unsurfable, to be honest I've seen Slater surf a bloody door, really they're all surfable unless they sink on you, it is a question of do you like it, and, does it get you from A to B when you already know from past experience you can get from A to B. A to B could be top to bottom, shoulder to pocket, and so on. Again though, wrong fins and for me it can make a board go less than just OK.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't give up on it just yet, a bit of fin swapping can work wonders, but at the same time I wouldn't fight with it for too long if you start ruining sessions.
                      In my experience the boards that have stayed as favourites of mine have been ones that have clicked on the first wave or two. I pretty much stick with the same DL template in all my boards now because I know how that fin feels so everything is the board. The only board I've been battling with is the Sweet Potato, I go from the funnest little surf one day to the most frustrating surf the next and that's the only board I mess about with fins in. I don't mind too much with that one as I usually surf it on days where I probably wouldn't go in otherwise.

Comment

thanks everyone. PRJ sounds like your experience with the sweet potato is similar and that how i'm gonna treat mine for now. i'll bust it out when i know i can't have fun on the alt and see where that takes me. thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X