X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBD - Spitfire

Have been surfing a 6'6" Spitfire for several yrs. and love the board (surfed it last yr in solid oh Fiji & it was amazing) I need a board with lots of volume as I am 5'11, 225lbs, int/adv surfer. Even though getting older, I still can rip in good surf but I need a board that floats me and paddles well. Here's the question I have, what would be the overall effect if the Spitfire's nose and tail were reduced by the maximum on CBD (-.025 in the nose and -.05 in the tail). The new Unibrow looks great, but based on volume #s, I'm looking at a minimum 6'10". Thanks for the help

It'll create more curve in the outline which will reduce the turning radius but also reduce the drive you get off the rail.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      It'll create more curve in the outline which will reduce the turning radius but also reduce the drive you get off the rail.
      Ahh more curve in the outline makes it turn tighter but can reduce speed and drive...not sure I agree with you PRJ.

Comment

What effect would you say it would have then?
        Straight rail line = Drive
        Curved outline = Looser
        Which part do you disagree with?

Comment

What effect would you say it would have then?
          Straight rail line = Drive
          Curved outline = Looser
          Which part do you disagree with?
          It might be just in the way you said it or I interpreted it...by reduce the turning radius you mean it turns tighter or less tight???

Comment

as in smaller radius, tighter turn. haha

Comment

as in smaller radius, tighter turn. haha
              Then we agree !!

Comment

Ha! Phew, I thought for a second that everything I was starting to understand about surfboard design was a lie!

Comment

Ha! Phew, I thought for a second that everything I was starting to understand about surfboard design was a lie!
                  Dont worry, there is still an enormous amount of theory out there...some of it is either controversial or at best unproven...

Comment

Ok so based on the assumption that a curved outline is looser, will there be a noticeable effect if one was to reduce the Spitfire's nose by the maximum of -.025 but not adjust the tail. My objective is to keep all the great attributes of the Spitfire and possibly make it a little loser. With that in mind, is it worthwhile to reduce both the nose & tail, just the tail or just the nose. I don't want to jeopardize paddling and planing of the Spitfire by to much, but if the CDB adjustments will allow me to loosen it up while still providing the volume I need, then I think that's the way I order it. Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
                    X